Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Final Art Test Critique/Post Mortem/What I've learned at Polycount

Almost 2 years ago:
barrelwip.jpg

I defended and loved it, and I was a genius, right? Wrong.

Today:

fwWrX.jpg
Zbeao.jpg

Thanks polycount, you're my hero. Only took me 2 years to get serious about this shit. No longer a business major, have moved, got to the drinking age, its been a helluva time. I hope you guys can usher me into your industry.

Looking for final critiques for this guy. Haven't checked where I'm at yet for texture space, but I'm at 1606/3000 tris. Turning it in sometime tomorrow, wish me luck, and let me have it with any major problems you see.

Things already on checklist to add:
1. Doorknob (1000-1500 tris :D )
2. Better spec map for windows/doors.
3. A spec map for chimney materials so the 4 on top aren't shiny.
4. ?

Replies

• dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    all big letters is annoying.

Bricks seem to big scale and for some reason they poke above the ground around the edges of the dirt, which looks......well you can fill any word there. The blue seems very saturated and looks too playful and cartoon, instead of a stylistic fantasy game. Add more loops around the edges of the bricks to smooth the edge out.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that setup is a little too saturated, that seems to vary a lot based on marmoset's presets, this is my first time using it.

KZJEv.jpg
    31wQ2.jpg
    7cN27.jpg

This fits the current generation a little bit better. And a more serious tone for Arenanet.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    I'm not sure what the specs are for this test, but I feel your model looks too video-game-ish.
    You could definitely use some of those extra polies you seem to have to give it more character, and hide many of those hard edges, and very visible angles in the silhouette.
    Not so sure about textures, are you using normal maps? Doesn't look like it on most areas, and it does on a few.