Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

FOREST ENVIRONMENT

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
hewitt96 polycounter lvl 10
Hello, this is my first time posting on forums looking for critiques. This is my latest project and would like some fresh eyes. What do you think? Lighting? Textures? Composition? What do you think I need to improve/change?

This Scene is rendered in UDK Aug. build and is made up of all my own assets.
ForestCave_01.jpg
ForestCave_02.jpg
ForestCave_03.jpg

Replies

• PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    First are foremost, MORE ROCKS! I feel like your gully would be absolutely riddled with them because of it's location. I also only see large rock meshes being used. Add medium rocks. Small rocks. Really small rocks. Add even more rocks into the landscape material. Generally speaking, where there is one rock, there are a hundred more. The more you can use to help hide the smooth landscape rock, the better. It should only fill the tiniest gaps.

And speaking of rocks, yours seem to suffer from the same problems mine do: They're sort of blobby and lack sharp edges. If you're using Zbrush, play with the pinch tool, dynamic trim, and a very strong flatten. Those are always good for eliminating that blobby look.

Your trees seem weak compared to the rest of the scene. The far off ones seem fine, if a bit repetitive. But the up close ones just look like billboards. Remember that no two trees are the same, so if you're going to be reusing the same mesh/billboard, add variety by any means necessary. Scale them up and down. Rotate them at odd angles. Obviously that's less important for the far off ones, but it'll go a long way to making those on the left in the first screenshot look and feel authentic.

Also, your forest floor seems very clean. I can easily make out the form of your landscape through those trees in the first screenshot. That eliminates the illusion of this being a real setting to me. Break it up with some rock meshes, throw in some smaller billboards of bushes, or even just some knocked down trees. You've got a level of detail there that just isn't working for you because of how close it is to the camera. Add more!

Lastly, your lighting seems very, very abnormal to me. You've got a very dark and stormy sky, but the lighting is so bright! You also have very sharp shadows for a sun shining through a storm. My advice there would be to just play with several different looks. Don't be afraid to try something you think would look dumb too, it might spark an idea worth keeping!

EDIT: And welcome to polycount! I hope I don't scare you off with all my C&C! I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Great Start!
    PatrickL wrote: »
    Lastly, your lighting seems very, very abnormal to me. You've got a very dark and stormy sky, but the lighting is so bright! You also have very sharp shadows for a sun shining through a storm.

Yea, it looks almost as though the shot was taken as lightning flashed.

Needs MOAR ROCKS and small vegetation.
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    As other people have said a few clumps of rocks/vegetation maybe a bit of moss. I think you should take a look at Alan Wake, i have just been playing through this and it is a fantastic game, or what i have played so far. Plus most of it is shot at night, which will help you out.
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some updates. what do you guys think?
    Shot_1.jpg

Shot_2.jpg

Shot_3.jpg
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    Nice work.

I personally really like the lighting.

Great mood.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Looks real nice, though the stones all appear perfectly polished clean and synthetic. Dirt in cracks (AO style), moss, etc. Some dirty decals to melt everything together would be nice too.
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    This is really starting to fill out quite well. My main complaint would be that I don't think the skeleton stands out enough or is well-detailed enough to function as a focal point for the scene, and otherwise it tends to read as an exercise in rock-making.
  • ariofighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ariofighter polycounter lvl 13
    I didn't even notice that there was a skeleton in the image until Razgriz mentioned it. I may be a little slow, but I probably not the only one. I would find a way to bring him more into focus. His color blends him into the tree right now. I love the progress though.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Wow! Awesome update. I don't get why there is a face in the mountain now, but whatever floats your boat, I guess! The new rocks look good. I'd consider throwing in some DOF just enough to blur up those mountains and far off trees. That should help people keep their eyes where your scene is the strongest. (Foreground.)

Really, really huge improvement! Great job.
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for the critiques guys. This projects is due Friday, for me, so I'll post some final Renders and a link to the Cinematic. Thanks again, you guys were awesome. (special shout out to PatrickL) :).
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, that means a lot. I've been working my tail off this quarter on this project. I launched a website last week so you're in luck. The URL is: williamhewitt.weebly.com

Cheers :)
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. Here are final screen grabs from my demo reel (video link in my next post).

ForestShot_1.jpg

ForestShot_2.jpg

ForestShot_3.jpg

ForestShot_4.jpg
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    This is looking pretty sweet, How did you go about making your rain effect? geometry? post processing?
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take out the DOF, it's way too strong, and doesn't make sense in this context.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hiieqlgbn2c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hiieqlgbn2c[/ame]

Your scene reminds me of this. So maybe you can see what they do here. Really need more ferns and tree trunks, different plants and what not. That grass only is not very interesting, mix it up with other things. some ferns, grass, weeds. I like in the video they have roots that break up the scene quite nicely. Things like that. Hope this helps.
  • ngs616
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your fog starts a little bit too close.
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    looks quite nice :)

I would not do the dof tho, because it makes it harder to read the scene, and it makes it kinda cheaper and less realistic imo.
    First few seconds of video look awesome, but then dof comes in.... ;)

As for the rest - good job, it really feels like a rain there!
  • Perfect_Rolemodel
    This scene is sick.
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, I did all of this in 8 weeks. I worked an average of 25 hours per week on it. Some weeks were more and some were less.
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin wrote: »
    looks quite nice :)

I would not do the dof tho, because it makes it harder to read the scene, and it makes it kinda cheaper and less realistic imo.
    First few seconds of video look awesome, but then dof comes in.... ;)

As for the rest - good job, it really feels like a rain there!

DOF is the scene-killer. DOF is the little-effect that brings total obliteration.

To loosely quote from Dune :P

Otherwise very cool man :)
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea i watched it like 50 times and each time i like the DOF less and less, so finally i took it out.
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o wrote: »
    This is looking pretty sweet, How did you go about making your rain effect? geometry? post processing?

I used Geometry, ten planes crossing another ten planes. the real magic is in the Material. :)