Home General Discussion

These Arenanet art tests.

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
I didn't want to start a mini debate in someones thread so.

I noticed the first crept up not so long ago. Looked it over and it was pretty good. Then moved to my next tab, ( i tend to open a ton of threads then work through them) I had to double check it was a new tab since i seen the same lizard. Little surprised but never-the-less it was good. Now roll on the other threads.

I get your following the concepts but most people are doing it to a flaw. Everyone's work looks the dammed same and that can't be a good thing. Don't get me wrong the work is good, nice clean poly flow and ever-so-clean normals but theres hardly any originality. There all carbon copies of the concept work.

From the Areanet blog post-
Feel free to add your own interpretation to the style, cleanliness, and add any extra supporting elements as needed.

Since its not the best layout im pretty sure this actually applies to the character/organic art aswell. Show some flare and separate yourself from the competition.
That colour scheme? exaggerate it. Those spikes? displace them around the body. Those teeth? double there size and thin them out. Adapt them to a certain habitat! add webbed feet, just be creative!

I can't be the only one whos stumbled onto this and i'm pretty sure there are lead artists here. So i'll ask for future reference, if you gave out a concept would you expect them to copy it flat out or would you want them to add there own style/take of it?

Replies

• erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Good point. Everyone is doing some great work with the concepts but adding some personal touches here and there could help the piece stand out.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    There are a few ways this can go:

1. You can follow the concept and deliver exactly what the art director is looking for. If you can do that, and you can do it with a deadline coming, and you can do it well, then you're going to be a great asset to whatever company wants to hire you at any given point. It means you can deliver and that you have enough power of observation to be able to pick out the details that make a design what it is, and you have the technical ability to execute it in 3D effectively.

2. You follow the concept and the model turns out to be crap. Bad textures, bad topology, fucked up UVs, whatever. No modeler can save a mediocre concept, but ArenaNet has some of the most skilled and highly talented people in the business working in their concept department, so that's no excuse. You made a crap model, so move on; nobody cares about your stuff until you improve.

3. You execute the concept, you do it well, and you add your own flair to it. You deliver what the art director was looking for, but you don't know the AD and you can't be sure if they will like your additions, even if you feel they improved the piece. Do this well enough, and they'll probably just be happy that you're creative enough to add something cool.

4. You execute the concept and add your own stuff to it, but it looks like ass. Old, dirty, hairy, wrinkled grandma ass. You fail. Art director sees your failure, doesn't hire you, you're fucked because you decided you were better at the concept artist's job than he was.

So basically, you're walking a tightrope with this ArenaNet stuff. Lean too far one way and you splatter your brains on the pavement. Too far the other way and it's the same result. Yes, everybody's doing the same stuff, but that also means you can compare your stuff to what's already out there and you can see how other people are failing. If you can see how other people are failing, you can avoid those traps and succeed.
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm doing the Female mage character. I dunno but the character seemed to be very tight budgeted for the amount of armor and stuff shes wearning, or else im doing it wrong. I'm trying to squeeze out as much clarity and effenciency i have out of them.

I'll prolly post my WIP sooner or later, I have been busy working on it and usually when i should post shots im too tired to bother =3=
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    and why on earth is everyone doing these? It's a bit annoying when looking in P&P and it's nothing but arenanet art tests...

Are we really already out of original ideas or other cool concepts that we are now just all doing the same damn test? :(
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    People are doing them for a chance to intern at Arenanet
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and why on earth is everyone doing these? It's a bit annoying when looking in P&P and it's nothing but arenanet art tests...

Are we really already out of original ideas or other cool concepts that we are now just all doing the same damn test? :(

D: Okay, I don't really want to post mine up now :(

You have to understand that alot of people are still trying to break into the industry and if someone offer you an internship position we would be foolish not to take up on it. Besides, soon you'll see the board saturated with superheroes cos Comicon is about to be due then as well =3=
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    isnt it for the internship position? i thought i read that somehwere.

*hah justin beat me too it.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    ok if it's for the internship position then that's cool.

*dick head mode off now
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    @Swizzle, Now that's the kind of clear cut answers i come here for.

Though it seems alot of people are nearing a finish early. If they had time, would making another variation of the concept be brownie points worthy, maybe paint-overs with clear+backed up reasons for changes, Not the 'Cus it looks kewl' An if you gave reasons it'll lesson the giant F-U to the concept artist, which from what I've gathered are pretty dam good a there job. Basically I'm trying to find ways to show you have scope.

Or is it, you never finish attitude that dominates it. Why did they do this when they could have spent more time polishing this. ect.

Yes i tend to ask alot of questions but I'd be a idiot if i didn't.

Also it's not like I've got anything against the thread's, it was just that once grey area, that interested me.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeeKei wrote: »
    D: Okay, I don't really want to post mine up now :(

You have to understand that alot of people are still trying to break into the industry and if someone offer you an internship position we would be foolish not to take up on it. Besides, soon you'll see the board saturated with superheroes cos Comicon is about to be due then as well =3=

Comicon is already running just so you know...
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Comicon is already running just so you know...

yeah, but from what i remember the due date for both of them are around the 21st-22nd?
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    DeeKei wrote: »
    I'm doing the Female mage character. I dunno but the character seemed to be very tight budgeted for the amount of armor and stuff shes wearning, or else im doing it wrong.

Based on what I can see in the original GW and in a lot of what's been shown with GW2, they do a lot of stuff with their textures. You can sort of see how they'd approach things because some of them were done already - you know that "balthazar" looking guy that's next to the female mage you're doing in the concept image? That guy's already in the first GW, and I think people can buy the armor, so you can see how they approached it. :) I also remember seeing some work from Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, shit was super efficient! Might help to get some ideas.

Concerning all these people posting the same art test threads, I don't mind seeing them. I do sort of which they'd very the titles - maybe put their usernames in the thread title or something, but I do like seeing them all.
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah like leather and cloth its all baked as normals, but the chains are the ones thats really eating it up, and i dont really want to use planes for them because planes look terribly ugly for them :S
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I think the only thing that is odd is actually seeing people post there art test as they are doing it online. Dont places generally want to see your artistic decisions made in your art test and not suggestions you are following from people online?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    That's not the case in a studio. It isn't even the case in online challenges.

"An art test is not the same work you would do in a studio, or a competition. It is a test to test what you can do on your own. To gauge your artist and technical ability alone without influence of others."

That is what I have heard from a few people on art tests. Also I think studios would prefer people not getting a hold of there art test as then its easier to cheat the test. Some people could make assets for it before hand to get a leg up.
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    "An art test is not the same work you would do in a studio, or a competition. It is a test to test what you can do on your own. To gauge your artist and technical ability alone without influence of others."

That is what I have heard from a few people on art tests. Also I think studios would prefer people not getting a hold of there art test as then its easier to cheat the test. Some people could make assets for it before hand to get a leg up.

I just want to make it clear that for this art test in specific, ArenaNet said this:

"You may post your progress online, but you MUST email your final renders along with a breakdown of your texture sheets."

Just clarifying. I would never post progress of an art test unless given the green light to do so.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Aigik wrote: »
    I just want to make it clear that for this art test in specific, ArenaNet said this:

"You may post your progress online, but you MUST email your final renders along with a breakdown of your texture sheets."

Just clarifying. I would never post progress of an art test unless given the green light to do so.

That is good and all.

I am just curious how valid the end result is if a lot of artistic and technical decisions were influenced by people on a forum. Wouldn't at that moment the Art Test represent a community of artists instead of the artist itself???
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    just sticking my nose in here: I don't see a problem, you'll be able to ask for opinions from fellow artists inside a company (at least, I'd hope so)

I think also, if you completely, 100% are relying on others for your direction then the piece probably won't be that good anyway
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    David-J wrote: »
    That is good and all.

I am just curious how valid the end result is if a lot of artistic and technical decisions were influenced by people on a forum. Wouldn't at that moment the Art Test represent a community of artists instead of the artist itself???

That's like saying that every single art piece presented here on polycount is a piece made by the community as a whole.
    You may have gotten help from the people here but you're the one who's actually made the piece from start to finish. It's not like you're handing your work over to someone else to do the job for you.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    It would be awesome if they were all collected into one giant thread.

You'd be able to easily see all your competition and learn from each other, and easily see critiques on similar mistakes.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Sectaurs wrote: »

You'd be able to easily see all your competition and learn from each other, and easily see critiques on similar mistakes.

I 'like' this.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goraaz wrote: »
    That's like saying that every single art piece presented here on polycount is a piece made by the community as a whole.
    You may have gotten help from the people here but you're the one who's actually made the piece from start to finish. It's not like you're handing your work over to someone else to do the job for you.

True that. But like Autocon said which I agree with

So any thing we post here in polycount we are doing to get better and get feedback and all. An art test seems like a totally different thing to me. IMO it should be more personal.

I was just thinking out loud and wanted see what people thought about this.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »

I like the idea.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    IMO it should be more personal.

I agree. I would hope that they got permission before publicly posting someone else's IP all over the internet.
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    I was just thinking out loud and wanted see what people thought about this.
    I understand what Autocon is saying, but at the same time we never create art in a vacuum. Every one of my buddies who takes animation tests will send over emails of his blocking and intermediate polish for feedback. At a certain point you've always been looking at it too long and you need fresh eyes.

Do I think it's a good idea to keep tests private? Yeah, definitely -- even if the company says it's okay to put the test on your reel. But just because you're getting feedback on an internet forum doesn't invalidate your abilities or decision-making. The hardest part of receiving feedback is sifting through the good and the bad and figuring out which critiques to take into account when you make revisions (without losing your original vision). I consider this an important skill, whether the feedback comes from a lead or an experienced artist on Polycount.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    This is going more back to the original question of adding your own style to the concept and adding to what Swizzle has said. I think they allow you to "add your own interpretation to the style, cleanliness, and add any extra supporting elements as needed" is because in all of the concepts, except the environment we are only given one image and one view of the thing we have to re-create. We don't know what the back of the female or make character look like or how exactly stuff wraps around them we just have to analyze it and figure it out ourselves. I think this is what they kind of meant with adding our own flair to the work, they want to see what we do with it and the creative solutions we come up with. Just my 2 cents.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe wrote: »
    Do I think it's a good idea to keep tests private? Yeah, definitely -- even if the company says it's okay to put the test on your reel. But just because you're getting feedback on an internet forum doesn't invalidate your abilities or decision-making. The hardest part of receiving feedback is sifting through the good and the bad and figuring out which critiques to take into account when you make revisions (without losing your original vision). I consider this an important skill, whether the feedback comes from a lead or an experienced artist on Polycount.

I agree with this. Still, like you, I consider is a better idea to keep it private.
  • percydaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't want to start a mini debate in someones thread so.

I noticed the first crept up not so long ago. Looked it over and it was pretty good. Then moved to my next tab, ( i tend to open a ton of threads then work through them) I had to double check it was a new tab since i seen the same lizard. Little surprised but never-the-less it was good. Now roll on the other threads.

I get your following the concepts but most people are doing it to a flaw. Everyone's work looks the dammed same and that can't be a good thing. Don't get me wrong the work is good, nice clean poly flow and ever-so-clean normals but theres hardly any originality. There all carbon copies of the concept work.

From the Areanet blog post-

Since its not the best layout im pretty sure this actually applies to the character/organic art aswell. Show some flare and separate yourself from the competition.
    That colour scheme? exaggerate it. Those spikes? displace them around the body. Those teeth? double there size and thin them out. Adapt them to a certain habitat! add webbed feet, just be creative!

I can't be the only one whos stumbled onto this and i'm pretty sure there are lead artists here. So i'll ask for future reference, if you gave out a concept would you expect them to copy it flat out or would you want them to add there own style/take of it?

I don't have a problem with people following the concept art. You only seem to have a problem with it, because everyone is doing it, which after seeing the same one, time after time, I can appreciate what your feeling. There's nothing wrong with showing that you can execute the concept art given to you by someone who probably had it approved by the lead/director. That said, if you can differentiate yourself by mixing it up and adding in your own flair, then you might have a leg up on the competition. Don't forget though, that they're not advertising a listing for a concept artist, its for an environment artist, so first and foremost, people should be showing their technical skills, followed by their ability to artistically massage the concept art.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I wonder why so few people are doing the human concepts?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Characters are hard. Also, armor bits everywhere.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    @Swizzle

When I see a hard character concept I usually don't back down unless I don't have the time. But if I do have the time its like the concept is challenging me to a fight and I will conquer it by successfully creating it ! Its weird but I love this nack I have :)

Im still new to incoporating straps into my work so I wouldn't do the girl, but the armor dude I've definitely thought about. but I have difficulty reading the forms.

Im trying to learn as much as I can so im not on the same level as the majority where they create the same basic stuff over and over again, I want my portfolio to scream "holy shit", and part of that is doing what no one else dares.
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Characters are hard. Also, armor bits everywhere.

Characters are FUN :D

but yeah making the armor bits did bring out a tear in me.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    my thoughts are, just because you are told how to do something or know how something is done, it doesn't mean you have the the ability to do it.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I'd disagree. Being told how to do something and doing it is how you develop how you attack challenges, or do you mean just being told?