Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character feedback

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
Hi Everyone, I am brand spanking new to Polycount! I heard this was a great place to share my work and get constructive feedback on how to improve my skills. I am currently a student working on my thesis characters and will be finished with my degree by Spring 2012. I'll start this thread of with the first character I started working on. Any feedback or questions are extremely welcome!

Rufus_9_12_11_Lionel_Cornelius_01.jpg?t=1316206757

Rufus_9_12_11_Lionel_Cornelius_02.jpg?t=1316206757

Replies

• octokitty
    Offline / Send Message
    octokitty polycounter lvl 14
    hmm, your picture works when i click "open in new tab" but they aren't showing here... anyway, it looks really good! I don't think I have any critiques except make some fingernails!
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    no pictures here...

I would suggest getting something like Photobucket or Imageshack and posting your images here through there. Never seems to fail. :)
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments Octo.

I am using Flickr currently. I actually hate flickr. Going to try Imageshack, swap the images and see what happens. stay tuned ;)
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    and Photobucket worked! thanks Jeremiah
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting working on another character for my thesis. I'm going for comic book looking characters so absolute realism is not the goal but believability is. I have been struggling with the female character (in my eyes) and would love to get some constructive criticism. Thanks!

jenSpade_lionelCornelius.jpg?t=1318007393
  • jk_virginia
    for your first character I think it would help to take a quick look at your first characters feet they seem a tad bit flat like they were crushed by a heavy object :P try rounding them out a bit and fixing the proportions some. looking good though. Also his butt is a little flat give him a bit more definition back there.
  • octokitty
    Offline / Send Message
    octokitty polycounter lvl 14
    Hey! for your female character, the anatomy is coming together well. I think you need to work on the forearms, they look really think around the wrist area. Also, the hands look flat, and the shape of the feet look a little off, like the arch is curving outward too much. Also, the face is looking really masculine right now. I think you need to soften the jawline and browline. Anyway, not bad so far :)
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments Jk & octo!

JK- I made some changes on the crushed the feet (lol). Forgot to round out the butt though :/. I'll re-work that for next post.

I attached a close-up of the face also. Feel free to leave any comments.

I'll work on the femal character tomorrow, hopefully, and post the updates :).

rufus_100911_Lionel_Cornelius.jpg?t=1318225368

rufus_100911_face_Lionel_Cornelius.jpg?t=1318225467
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    looks like his is kinda shrugging a bit... and he is also lacking in some rear deltoids.
    The head on your female is extremely small as well.

Keep the updates coming. ;)
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry for the late updates. Been pretty tired after working so late. Made some adjustments to the female character's face. Still having a tough time though. I'm learning that females aren't my bread and butter just yet. Also worked on male character a bit more. Detailed the face and changed the design of the boots.

Adding a new model on here which is the creature I am developing for my thesis. Concept is attached also.

@Jeremiah-Good call on the shoulders. I fixed that but forgot to check those deltoids :/! Small headed female has been a problem but I think I fixed it. Should have something to show on next update.

As always, any crits are very welcome.

Rufus_Williams_LionelCornelius.png

RufusridingTertiarhinus.jpg

rufus_101711_lionelCornelius.jpg

JenSpade_LionelCornelius-1.png

Tertiarhinus_101611.jpg
  • DaveSilver
    I like the work so far but on both the male and female models the arms need work. I think you need to shorten the arms because currently if they laid flat against his sides they would extend well past the crotch. On an average person the tips of the fingers reach just about the bottom of the crotch when the arms are flat against the sides which means that when they are fanned out like that they should be higher than the crotch but on your model they are not.
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    Good catch Dave. I knew the arms were extremely long on the female but I thought they were ok on the male. I'll fix that and post an update.

Here's an update on the female.

jenSpade_lionelCornelius_101811.jpg
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    small update on the female character. I started sculpting the face over again. I did not like the way it was coming out. I also lost a lot of detail converting my mesh to the new dynamesh feature in Zbrush.

Jen_102411_body1.jpg

Jen_102411_body2.jpg
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the female face a bit more. I sort of started over for two reasons: One: the face looked too manly and Two: I wanted to convert the mesh into a Dynamesh. When I converted, I lost a lot of the detail, which ended up not being such a bad thing. I'm attaching a full body shot as well so the proportions are noticeable. I know there are a few things that need to be fixed on the costume but if you have any comments critique away!

Jen_face_character_lionel_cornelius.png

Jen_body_character_lionel_cornelius.png
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    DaveSilver wrote: »
    I like the work so far but on both the male and female models the arms need work. I think you need to shorten the arms because currently if they laid flat against his sides they would extend well past the crotch. On an average person the tips of the fingers reach just about the bottom of the crotch when the arms are flat against the sides which means that when they are fanned out like that they should be higher than the crotch but on your model they are not.

Elbows will generally fall at the bottom of rib cage...on both characters yours are well below rib cage. It's a landmark to remember.
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dimfist-thanks for the tip. I'm working on retopo for the male character right now so I can adjust the arms after I transfer the details onto the low res. I went back and fixed the female's arm already but will post more progress on her a little later. Still working on getting her face right.

Here's my most recent update. Been away for awhile trying to keep up with work, grad school and the little bit of a life that I do have so it's been hard trying to keep my progress documented.

I'm working one on one with a professor at my school and we decided on a 11k poly budget for my game mesh. Right now I am at 12k so I really need to cut the count down. Here's what I have so far.

rufus_112311_retopo_lionel_cornelius.jpg
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while since I posted anything here. I rendered the high res version of Rufus in Zbrush which turned out to be good practice using BPR. I was having trouble getting my displacement maps to work in Maya, hence the render in Zbrush. I'm also posting the most up to date verision of Jen Spade. I started retopo on here today so I will try and post something on here soon.

rufus_final_character_render_Lionel_Cornelius.jpg?t=1324345295

Jen_character_Lionel_Cornelius.jpg
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    added a few more details on the female character. Also spent the whole day on optimizing the topology. This is still a high poly version though.

Jen_122811.jpg?t=1325056063
  • praetor187
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    These characters look pretty cool, I especially like the female character, my only nit pick is that the folds on the boots are really symmetrical, i would say to the point that its noticeable, I would say do some custom folds on one of the boots to break the symmetry but aside from that she looks great and the male character looks good too, are you planning to texture these as well? :)
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the folds are very symmetrical. I was trying to get her done as quick as possible so I could start on my other characters for my thesis. Now that I have time, I should definitely go back and fix those folds. I was just waiting to see if anyone would notice :).

I am going to texture the male character for sure. I may even do the female but it would be after I complete my thesis. Something to do for my portfolio since I want to work in games. Thanks for the comments!
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on some pose concepts. I'll be the first to admit that pose development is not the easiest task for me. With that said, I'd love to get some feedback and/or suggestions on these poses I worked on today.

Jenposes2011.png

Also fixed the symmetrical issue.

jen_symetrical_fixed.png
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the final render of my female character I comped together in photoshop using Zbrush BPR. Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Jen_Spade_final_shot1.jpg
  • nyx702
    I really like the short bob hairstyle. The gloves look really good too. I am not sure if you are finished with the sculpt or not but I feel like the pouches don't have weight to them and are just duplicated. Try adding some gravity to them by sagging the front and moving the corners around some. If you area already done then just try it for your next guy :)
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    Good observation nyx702. I forgot to put contents in the pouches and noticed that after I rendered. I still have a little time to work on her so I can go back and modify the pouches per your crit. Thanks for the comment!
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, it's been awhile since I posted anything here...With that said, here's the final version of my male character. This was my first time fully texturing a character and rendering in Marmoset. Crits welcome as always.
    Rufus_900px_01_game.jpg