Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Work in progress video Source/3DSmax

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
WesleyTack polycounter lvl 7
I've created a few of these videos over the past few months (years?). This is my latest working on a level for my Half-Life² mod Off Limits:
http://www.youtube.com/v/45U85dI6zjs?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0&hd=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01

More videos can be found here:
http://www.wesleytack.com/?cat=16

I hope to have the final Off Limits released sometime next month and then hopefully play it with many Polycount people. :)

6147141759_753551a6da_b.jpg

6147689784_5e44d2bf4e_b.jpg

6147689732_1572521afd_b.jpg

Replies

• Rick_D
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    very enjoyable :)
  • Mark Dygert
    At a quick glance it looks pretty good.

On closer inspection...that's a lot of BSP brushes...

Did you Func_Detail any of the ones that didn't contribute to the hull of the level? If you didn't, it will take a lot longer to compile and carve your game world into a TONS of little portals that don't need to be there. The sorting of those portals, which portal can see into what other portals is what bogs down compile times. Unless a brush is keeping the level from leaking it should probably be a func_detail.

The cargo containers are very flat and fit perfectly together, which just isn't very realistic. Even TF2 packed a lot of geometric detail into their cargo containers and used static meshes instead of BSP brushes.
  • WesleyTack
    Offline / Send Message
    WesleyTack polycounter lvl 7
    At a quick glance it looks pretty good.

On closer inspection...that's a lot of BSP brushes...

Did you Func_Detail any of the ones that didn't contribute to the hull of the level? If you didn't, it will take a lot longer to compile and carve your game world into a TONS of little portals that don't need to be there. The sorting of those portals, which portal can see into what other portals is what bogs down compile times. Unless a brush is keeping the level from leaking it should probably be a func_detail.

Of course I mix with func_detail and func_brush, otherwise the level wouldn't compile.
    The cargo containers are very flat and fit perfectly together, which just isn't very realistic. Even TF2 packed a lot of geometric detail into their cargo containers and used static meshes instead of BSP brushes.

the video is about the interior, I haven't touched the containers yet, I will extrude some of them and make them not so flat in the end :) Thanks for the heads up!