Home General Discussion

Epic game jam in the UK

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
EmAr polycounter lvl 18
http://train2game-jam2.com/
Train2Game, in conjunction with Epic Games and the University of Bedfordshire, is hosting a 48 hour Game Jam starting on Friday 4th November 2011. Bringing both students and non-students together for a weekend for a common goal - to make a great game.

I would love to attend this one but it would be a miracle if I could find a way to. Sounds like it will be a fun event as everyone will be already familiar with the same set of tools.

EDIT: After learning about train2game's bad reputation in the messages below, I thought posting this here would be appropriate:

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2009/10/a-legal-letter-for-the-collection-from-train2game/

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I'd love to come over from Ireland to take part in this... looks like a cool comp.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    What in the name of actual fuck is Epic doing teaming up with Train2Game?

Train2Game, for those unaware, are a company in the UK that distribue leaflets in newspapers and magazines claiming to teach you how to become a game designer extroadinaire by enrolling on one of their for-profit courses...sound harmless enough? Wait for it...

A friend of mine enquired, as did another, and both of them had a guy in a suit, ring binder under arm, turn up at their front door, come in and talk to them about how amazing the course is. Kinda like the guy who comes round to sell double-glazing.

I wouldn't be surprised if what they actually mean by 'Train2Game and Epic' is really just them using UDK and saying Epic are supporting it.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Yeah I heard about them. So many bad rumors and horror stories.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I saw this on UDK's facebook page so it seemed alright. Didn't know about train2game :/ I hope it works out as good as they advertise it to be.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    EmAr wrote: »
    I saw this on UDK's facebook page so it seemed alright. Didn't know about train2game :/ I hope it works out as good as they advertise it to be.

Hmm, evidently Epic didn't either. The shit's been on Watchdog lol.

I still think they probably called up Epic and said 'hey can we use UDK for this thing we're doing' and they just said 'yeah sure thing'. Epic didn't think anything of it and see it as a bit of free publicity, and Train2Game end up looking a lot better than they really are.

Seriously they are terrible, far far worse than any of the usual for-profit scams we hear about. Someone from Epic should really look into this a little further before associating themselves with such a company.

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2009/10/a-legal-letter-for-the-collection-from-train2game/

Plenty more if you Google 'Train2Game Scam'
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Sounds similar to that Global Games Jam that takes place every year. It happened at my uni but I never participated, but yeah 2 days to make a game as do other groups of people all over the world.

http://globalgamejam.org/
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    TeeJay wrote: »
    What in the name of actual fuck is Epic doing teaming up with Train2Game?

Train2Game, for those unaware, are a company in the UK that distribue leaflets in newspapers and magazines claiming to teach you how to become a game designer extroadinaire by enrolling on one of their for-profit courses...sound harmless enough? Wait for it...

A friend of mine enquired, as did another, and both of them had a guy in a suit, ring binder under arm, turn up at their front door, come in and talk to them about how amazing the course is. Kinda like the guy who comes round to sell double-glazing.

I wouldn't be surprised if what they actually mean by 'Train2Game and Epic' is really just them using UDK and saying Epic are supporting it.

Well let them know via Facebook :) Send them a link to the Watchdog episode, if its on Youtube.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    OMg, this would be awesome to go to.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Crash the party dressed as pirates with anti Train2game flags?

Why the hell not?
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    Train 2 Game= For £135 quid a month, you get some intro dvd with some industry experts that I've never heard of prattling away and not hearing much substance, and a course book that I got half way through within an evening and still hadn't learnt anything new... and a game making software which I think is freeware or very cheap bollox.

Yeah I fell for it :( Had just left my first/last inhouse job, felt like I needed to learn other skills apart from environment art i.e. scripting and learn more about the design process.

I ended up losing £135 for the first month but got out of being on the course. Thank fuck for that!
  • Campaignjunkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Campaignjunkie polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think Train2Game is necessarily a scam, it's just the typical crappy for-profit diploma mill correspondence course thing / recruiters paid on commission. (I mean, look at the "student gallery" on their site. Surely they would've picked better stuff to showcase if they were entirely fake?)
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    It sounds very much like a scam. I've had one of these guys trying to sell me a course, for pc web development.

You know its a scam by, the salesmen guy with the binder is the first red flag. Then he tells you how much better your life will be, how they can guarantee a job. Little tricks like imagine what it would be like to earn 30k(or whatever) a month.

Really bigs up the course and what it could do for you, doesnt give you any real information at all. Trys not to mention the cost too much, if you mention you cant afford it they just suggest you to get a load of credit cards and just stick it on that.

If they do lose reputation or get into trouble or whatever they will just, re-register it under a different name.