Home General Discussion

Master degree in game production

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Belias polycounter lvl 14
Hi, I want to continue a master degree of 3d game production after the bachelor of Mechatronics Engineering..

please give me info, anyone with a degree like that here?

PS: I left the advertisement production job, and now work in another job as game developer.

Replies

• eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Well, degrees in themselves will not make you better at making games, but they'll help you if you would ever want a job abroad.

Truly becoming good at making games will only come at your own hand.

Also, I think you mean in your Belias way that your advertisement job was a freelance gig and that you're currently doing some new freelancing gig, since leaving jobs hastily is not a good thing.
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, degrees in themselves will not make you better at making games, but they'll help you if you would ever want a job abroad.
    Truly becoming good at making games will only come at your own hand.
    true.
    Also, I think you mean in your Belias way that your advertisement job was a freelance gig and that you're currently doing some new freelancing gig, since leaving jobs hastily is not a good thing.
    that advertisements job was just to pay the bills, there were no contracts, only freelancing with that job, but the new one has a contract, and they pay me what I want, they have sophisticated technologies too, I'm also going to make Electronics connected with unity.. so they make augmented reality stuff.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Stick with the mechatronics. If you're half way decent you'll walk into a job and probably one that'll pay more than you'll ever earn in games development.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Belias wrote: »
    true.
    that advertisements job was just to pay the bills, there were no contracts, only freelancing with that job, but the new one has a contract, and they pay me what I want, they have sophisticated technologies too, I'm also going to make Electronics connected with unity.. so they make augmented reality stuff.

Stay there, make games in your free time.

You'll be able to fund your hobby that way and one day maybe even release some indie game.
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jackblade: I'm not going to leave Mechatronics, I'm 75% finished with it... but I was saying that after I get the Bachelor in Mechatronics, I want to have a master in 3D Game Production.

@eld: thanks again man.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    Sorry, but wtf is a master in game production going to teach? Seriously... the best master degree you can get in game production is 5 years of working in a real studio.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Most colleges wont let you teach without a masters degree. Im considering it as well.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    agree that most places require or like for instructors to have a master. but game production just sounds very vague. Maybe something more focused around art or programming??
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    oobersli wrote: »
    agree that most places require or like for instructors to have a master. but game production just sounds very vague. Maybe something more focused around art or programming??

I've run into that problem with the school I went to. It was a vague title: "Game Design and Developent". In the end, it turned out that it provided only a cursory knowledge in multiple disciplines of game development; but it taught no mastery in any single aspect. Suffice to say, I didn't finish, but not before I got saddled with lots of debt. The lesson of the story is don't jump into vague programs promising a great future. Most of the time, they just want your financial aid money. I don't know of any alumni from there that have a career in the industry. Look for a focused program that doesn't over-generalize. If you want to be a game artist, get into an art program, one that specializes in game art if possible.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Belias wrote: »
    Hi, I want to continue a master degree of 3d game production after the bachelor of Mechatronics Engineering..

please give me info, anyone with a degree like that here?

PS: I left the advertisement production job, and now work in another job as game developer.

Did you try using the search function on this very forum?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Ganemi wrote: »
    Sounds like a silly degree.

Then its perfect for Belias :)
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    let's say a topic like augmented reality.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli wrote: »
    Sorry, but wtf is a master in game production going to teach? Seriously... the best master degree you can get in game production is 5 years of working in a real studio.
    +445464633513...