Home General Discussion

Feeling guilty - Artist dilemma?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
Let's talk about a problem that I know some people have, including myself. The problem of feeling guilty when you're not trying to improve ie working on your portfolio with personal projects.

--

I'll tell you my story quickly.
After graduating the university with a non-game-related education, I was unemployed. I had saved up a lot of money, so I decided to go for my dream job: To become a pro game developer ie a 3d-game artist. I made a plan that I would follow: I would spend at least 8 hours everyday achieving that goal.

This was in July 2009.

I started out from scratch, learning a 3ds Max properly, learning how to texture etc etc. I joined forums and tried to absorb all the things that I needed to know to get to a professional level as quickly as I could. It took some serious dedication.

July 2010
I got a job offer as contract artist in England at Evolution Studios to work on Motorstorm Apocalypse. This was due to a decent portfolio, people who noticed my growth and luck. Being the right guy, at the right place at the right time.

Right now it's September 2011, 2+ years of different 3d-package experience and ultimately I got 1+ year of professional experience, I've been at 3 companies so far. This makes me stressed out: Why? I've never really settled down..yet. Sure there are a couple of months before I actually know if I'm going to stay where I'm at now but it really makes me want to prove myself even more, but I've been at it for a while now and I'm starting to feel a little bit burned out.

Sure I'm employed and I use that as an excuse sometimes but honestly I never really feel like it's a proper excuse for being lazy and not work as hard as I can to grow.

So to get to the point of this thread:

We all constantly deal with these kinds of issues, pros and students. We all want to grow as artists, expand, become more skilled. We want to feel safe and creatively challenged at the same time but how come at the end of the day a lot of us feel guilty when we don't actually produce artwork?

*We are our portfolios* so when is it alright to take a breather? And how do you guys deal with it? We never want to feel completely burned out.

EDIT:

I want to give a shoutout to Dreamer as well with this thread dealing with workflow planning http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88366

Replies

• aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I've been taking a breather for about 2 years now... Trying to get started again but it's rough. Having a job has kinda sapped my willpower to be on a computer when not at the office.

so ummmm no real advice here.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    That guilt is outside of you. From the single minded people who always say "stfu and make art". While they themselves are no shining example.

Just have balance. Do what makes you happy. You spend your day at work creating art. Still you feel you must PROVE yourself to be better at home? Prove to whom?

No man, from my POV your doing well. Should you spend time on your port? Sometimes, but when you feel like it. Coming home from a job where you pushed yourself for non interesting assets to push yourself more does not make a balanced human.

So those that say "make art". STFU, n00b!
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    sometimes I stress out but my girlfriend reminds me I make art all day at work :P

If I'm out of work chances are I'll have enough stuff to make a new portfolio, if not, I'm still able to find work based on my 2009 portfolio.
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Im taking a somewhat break right now due to the fact that Ive been so focused on becoming a better artist, that I let things like my health, and friends get thrown by the wayside.

this all while not having a real income for the last few months.
    I have guilt... or I wouldnt call it that, but the feeling of being left behind by the industry almost 24/7 if im not working.
    so yeah. I'm adding myself to the group of people who DOESNT know how to balance life with work.
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Something that i've noticed over the near past couple years i've been working now is that it's a lot different than when I was trying to first break into the industry. This was mainly due to the fact that I was learning tools, and basic knowledge that I needed to know as an artist and pump out competitive portfolio pieces. This fact really motivated me as I was learning and implementing in a really cool engine (UDK).

Fast forward a few years and i've learned tools at my studio and I began to do less art here and there, and more focus on technical aspects of asset creation and bug seeking because all of this falls under our responsibility. Working for a client or studio means you need to sacrifice several things that you would normally take for granted, because in the end, you're trying to make everyone happy. Including yourself. Well it's not that simple, so that's why I like to focus on personal projects at home when I have a chance.

Yet still, even when i'm working on personal projects outside of work, I get simply exhausted and too tired since ive been grinding all day on whatever it is i've been working on. Artists block, mental exhaustion, all of that falls in...

And then you browse polycount, or play some new games, and see a new post that just have some kick ass artwork. You quickly realize how difficult it is to really keep up and telling yourself how much you need to set yourself to that level or beyond. It seems like every chance I get to sit down and check out new UDK features, a new release is out, and by then i've already been bogged down by several responsibilities outside of work that really confine my creative freedom.

So I tell myself, here and there, when I can. I'm going to make something simple, and refine it and make it look cool. At least, make it better than your last, that way you know you're still continually learning. Then perhaps you can please yourself...

After all you can't please everyone.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    just throwing this out there- maybe if it feels like an uphill struggle and you have to force yourself to do it, it's because there's something else you want to do.

have a think, somewhere in the realm of creating stuff- games or otherwise, is there something different you could see yourself spending hours on end doing without getting bored or fed up? just as an exercise, it doesn't have to be well thought out for now
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    sounds like you just need a little break from portfolio building to try and clear your head and maybe gain some perspective over your situation. I did this recently and it really helped. Often you can feel like you gotta keep making stuff to keep up with people/tech but you do risk burning out if you push too hard or stress yourself out. And thats not good as you start hating your computer and dont want to turn it on anymore and game art starts making you feel nauseous.

Just enjoy yourself and try to rediscover your drive and look after yourself and family :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    how come at the end of the day a lot of us feel guilty when we don't actually produce artwork?

I think it's because whether you like or not, we're all ambitious people. Artists especially, and most of us lack the foundation of being 'ambitious'... Patience. Don't get down on your self or even dare to feel guilty. This isn't going to help you. Instead pick up small hobbies here and there that would help your career as a game artist. Make yourself miss it once in a while (personal projects). Over doing something burns anybody out, that's just part of being human, but you also should find a way for yourself to enjoy the mundane (living in the moment type of philosophy).

Clear your head, stop feeling guilty. You have no one judging you BUT yourself, i think this is more of a dilemma in over thinking things. One of my favorite quotes by alan watts (this is not verbatim, just the high-concept)

"when all you do is spend most your days thinking, all you have to think about is thoughts."

Meaning, your head fills up with trash, things that hold no value, it's just chatter inside your head. And this is where i think your guilt may be coming from. Just breathe and be thankful you have a job, and the abilities that got you that job. Enjoy what you do, man! :)
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey, Chris, I feel you, man.
    My most rational advice here would be, be conscious of where this attitude starts doing you more evil then good. If your drive to become better turns into self loathing or panic of constant job insecurity then you should just drop that mentality and only keep up with the demands of your current workplace and let the industry out of sight for a while. You'll catch up when you feel like and it's not that hard when you actually have a fulltime job making game art. Just make sure you're conscious about doing your job very well and you'll be allright, man.

On the other hand I've taken this attitude to huge extremes myself and it 'caused some pretty bad and unhealthy things in my life, but I guess, since I saw a purpose in all of this I don't regret a single bit. So maybe with a proper job the point of this starts slowly slipping away and in that case I'd say drop it once again. At least for a while.

Keep it strong, buddy, and do not demotivate. You are much more than your portfolio. You are your innovative thorough approach and fresh problem solving, you are your human skills, you are your team playing abilities, and you are your artistic vision, that stretches far beyond particular assets. And if you just do your job wholeheartedly you'll have a lot of friends to testify that.

TLDR: So as much as being an artist is about keeping up with latest trends it's also just about being a good artist:D

cheers

p.s. another nice idea is to have another hobby that you could enjoy perfecting yourself in. That way you don't generally feel like you're waisting time, but rather just work on a different skill.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Since I started working in the industry around 5 years ago, I havent really done one personal project. I start things every now and then but that is mostly to satisfy a small creative spurt or see how to do something on a technical level.

I used to feel guilty about not updating my portfolio or doing work on the side but then I realised I need to do other things to have a balanced life. if you are doing art for 3/4 or more of your waking hours you will either be super burned out in no time, or a complete social retard from lack of going out and meeting/talking to people.

Worst case scenario, I get laid off, get severance and then up to a years worth of EI benefits which is 60% of your salary here in BC, easily liveable. in that time I could work on my portfolio, look for jobs etc. Sometimes I even contemplate this route just to take a breather from the daily rat race.

Dont feel guilty, not living your life outside of work is probably the one thing you will regret when you look back at your life, so I would definitely recommend just doing what you want and not feeling forced to do what you think you should.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Man, you guys have no idea how good it feels to know I'm not the only one with this issue.
    Ever since I got a job about a year ago, I've been wanting to work on something personal, but I've never really managed to find that drive I used to have when I was in school, before breaking into the industry.

I used to feel that guilt, I occasionally do at times. And the guilt I had took away the pleasure I got from gaming (used to be quite the gamer). I'd end up feeling bad for having played games instead of making art. I'm trying to make myself realize that I put a solid week's worth of work at the studio, there's no need to feel bad for not making art at home during my free time.
    Sometimes I'd end up going nuts, sitting in front of my monitors and staring blankly at an empty max scene, WANTING to start something, but not getting anywhere, especially after having spent 8 hours at work.

Thanks for sharing your stories/opinions, guys. I know I'm not the OP, but it's great to know I'm not alone.

*edit*
    Cojax wrote: »
    I've been working now for about four years. The first two years I would try to make time for personal 3D projects. However I was doing this at work every day so I lost interest in personal projects. I have found art project that don't involve a computer are great! Photography, painting miniatures, drawing, sculpting with clay. etc. You just need a new avenue in the art world to explore.

I totally agree. I got into photography about 5 months ago. It was a great way to get away from the computer, and yet still practice a form of art, one that can directly benefit my 3D.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Damn. that emotional exhaustion link was pretty scary...
  • Cojax
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    I've been working now for about four years. The first two years I would try to make time for personal 3D projects. However I was doing this at work every day so I lost interest in personal projects. I have found art project that don't involve a computer are great! Photography, painting miniatures, drawing, sculpting with clay. etc. You just need a new avenue in the art world to explore.
  • fmnoor
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Cojax wrote: »

Yes this, I draw in my spare time instead of 3D. Usually with markers. Quick fast and it helps me think of new ideas to use at work
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    If you want to feel better, think of all the people out there who aren't in the industry yet - but who still have to support themselves (and in some cases, their families). Some people wake up at 9 don't come home until 7 from some backbreaking day job just to pay their bills and keep their loved ones afloat, and THEN have to try and force themselves to do personal work/portfolio padding on top of that to hopefully get out of that situation. They go to work just to come home and do more work.

That's a bad time to be burnt out. Because then you don't even have the ability to say "Well at least I did art today at my job", and you feel doubly guilty not feeling like you can force yourself to do it once you finally get home.

I think what you're encountering is just trying to find that balance, seems like everyone's got a bit different of requirements in their life to achieve that balance.

From my point of view, so long as when you go to sleep you're able to answer the question "What good have I done today?" and feel good about your answer - you're good to go.
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing that Marshal Vandruff told me in a class was take a job that is the Antithesis of your work. Meaning that if your art is very mentally exhausting, take a job that is physically exhausting, and leaves you room in your head at the end of the day to relax with your art.

This is a good way of sustaining your life, but I feel that to be competitive you have to spend more time that just an hour or two three times a week to really get anywhere.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Still you feel you must PROVE yourself to be better at home? Prove to whom?

Well mainly myself and the people I work with especially the ones who decide to hire me on permanent later. It's pretty much all about growing as an artist and at the same time trying to get a more stable secure future.
    crazyfool wrote: »
    Just enjoy yourself and try to rediscover your drive and look after yourself and family

I'll try, people working with an incredible pace though on these forums makes me stressed out. (Yes I'm looking at you Snefer, crazy fast)
    "when all you do is spend most your days thinking, all you have to think about is thoughts."

Meaning, your head fills up with trash, things that hold no value, it's just chatter inside your head. And this is where i think your guilt may be coming from. Just breathe and be thankful you have a job, and the abilities that got you that job. Enjoy what you do, man!

Yeah maybe I should just do that, spend time and energy making sure I make good friends with people at the company, show that I'm a hard worker and do some awesome art at work.
    d1ver wrote: »
    p.s. another nice idea is to have another hobby that you could enjoy perfecting yourself in. That way you don't generally feel like you're waisting time, but rather just work on a different skill.

I do, gaming and photography. It's really nice, but I still get that nagging feeling of guilt buzzing in my head, always knowing that every second of life that I'm awake, I could've spent it on improving my skills directly instead of relaxing. ^^
    Two Listen wrote: »
    From my point of view, so long as when you go to sleep you're able to answer the question "What good have I done today?" and feel good about your answer - you're good to go.

True true, there are people in a much worse position than I'm in and I think that's a good thing to do, as long as you know that you've progressed some it's alright. I do art at work everyday after all.
  • salman_fas
    Two Listen wrote: »
    . Some people wake up at 9 don't come home until 7 from some backbreaking day job just to pay their bills and keep their loved ones afloat, and THEN have to try and force themselves to do personal work/portfolio padding on top of that to hopefully get out of that situation. They go to work just to come home and do more work.

Me :(
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I think the weather and it being autumn here in Sweden might affect you too. I'm feeling a bit depressed and it's harder to work on personal stuff then but I know for a fact that it's gonna pass.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    Goraaz wrote: »
    I think the weather and it being autumn here in Sweden might affect you too. I'm feeling a bit depressed and it's harder to work on personal stuff then but I know for a fact that it's gonna pass.

Maybe it will, it's been raining for days! WEEKS! Crazy. When I left England to come back home to Sweden I thought: Oh maybe now I might not have to deal with the rain.

*arrives in Malmö*

rage-rage.png
  • lupi

...one more + ... for seven years now:) .. i guess that's the curse of the cg grunts:) so my advice is.. don't drawn in the work totally.. get outside, get a hobby etc. don't stick to the pc 24/7 - try to relax and you will start to find time and motivation doing personal art stuffz:)
  • mdeforge
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    I have a hard time finding time to work on my art portfolio while going back to school for my BS in Computer Science (focus on game programming). On top of that, it's just hard to jump into Maya again when I get home after working with it all day at work. Maybe using a different program would help. I don't know.

Perhaps this feeling of guilt you have is triggered by what people above are saying, but perhaps it's a little bit of a creative itch too. You work on other people's projects all day. Sure, you can add your own element and touch of creativity to those projects, but you haven't made something raw that you can call your own in a while. I definitely get like this!
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Personal Admission Time:

Hi my name is fearian and I'm totally demotivated.

I finished Uni about four or five months ago now with good grades and two solid starts on what could be nice portfolio pieces. In my last year of uni, I went from going weeks without making much to working every waking hour of the day. I probably did a good third+ of my work in the last three weeks. After my deadlines I was pretty burned out but feeling good about my work ethic. I decided I would take a month off work until I was back home and I had time to finish up my projects.

A month turned to two months, I had holidays, personal drama and all sorts of excuses to put off working. Now I'm a month out of excuses and I cannot get back into the swing of things. Chris is right in that I feel totally guilty about it. I don't want to go out because I feel like I should be at home working, but if I am, I barely get anything done.

What I'm saying is, my problem is my 'breather' got the better of me. I feel out of the loop from my projects, and when I look at how messy I left them in the rush to finish uni, I despair at all the cleaning up I'll have to do before I even get back into it. It's much easier to read some tutorial, tidy up some files and shove it to the back of my mind. It's because of this disconnect that I feel guilty. I don't even have a good excuse like Chris!

Help me Polycount, you're my only hope!
  • Rick_D
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    i am absolutely amazing there is nothing i can do to be any better. sorry.
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Rick_D wrote: »

You could make your portfolio site link work, i wanna see it :(
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D wrote: »

Haterade.gif
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    fearian wrote: »
    Personal Admission Time:

Hi my name is fearian and I'm totally demotivated.

I finished Uni about four or five months ago now with good grades and two solid starts on what could be nice portfolio pieces. In my last year of uni, I went from going weeks without making much to working every waking hour of the day. I probably did a good third+ of my work in the last three weeks. After my deadlines I was pretty burned out but feeling good about my work ethic. I decided I would take a month off work until I was back home and I had time to finish up my projects.

A month turned to two months, I had holidays, personal drama and all sorts of excuses to put off working. Now I'm a month out of excuses and I cannot get back into the swing of things. Chris is right in that I feel totally guilty about it. I don't want to go out because I feel like I should be at home working, but if I am, I barely get anything done.

What I'm saying is, my problem is my 'breather' got the better of me. I feel out of the loop from my projects, and when I look at how messy I left them in the rush to finish uni, I despair at all the cleaning up I'll have to do before I even get back into it. It's much easier to read some tutorial, tidy up some files and shove it to the back of my mind. It's because of this disconnect that I feel guilty. I don't even have a good excuse like Chris!

Help me Polycount, you're my only hope!
    I've been in a similar situation. What I did was that i saw no other choice than to continue working on my projects. It took me about a week until I got settled with my new work ethic so maybe that's what you should do. Work on some stuff for about a week for at least 3-4 hours a day and then see how it goes.

I have a method that I really shouldn't recommend but I thought I'd share it anyway. I work on several projects at the same time, each of these are different from each other. The differences are the theme, technique in which I use and the material on the character(some are mostly made out of hard surface). When I get tired of one of these projects I just switch over to whichever one I feel like doing. This way I always have something to do and I rarely get sick of any of my projects. I always finish these projects up, of course ;)
  • slipsius
    I started my foot-in-the-door job 8 months ago, and ive done ONE personal piece since then. I work all day, and then spend alot of my free time with the g/f or other friends. So when I do have time to myself, i dont wanna spend it doing what I do at work. I tend to game, watch movies, or just plain relax. I know I WANT to improve my portfolio, and I need to if i ever wanna get a better job, but it just doenst happen. Thing is, Im still improving as an artist. I work 40 hours a week at it. Every day at work i see myself getting better. Only thing that sucks is it takes WAY too long to be allowed to put any of it on my demo reel. Gotta wait for the game to release, after all.

If you work all day long making art and arent improving as an artist, you really have to ask yourself why not. There's a huge difference between not improving as an artist and not making the portfolio YOU want to make. Working 40+ hours a week, there is bound to be stuff you can use on your portfolio (once the NDA is done). But it all comes down to what you want your portfolio to look like. Do you want to put your work stuff on it that may not be something you would model if not told to, or do you wanna have it 100% your personality and your creativity. If you do just work stuff, it may not be the flashiest portfolio, but solid work is solid work...
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I've been in a similar situation. What I did was that i saw no other choice than to continue working on my projects. It took me about a week until I got settled with my new work ethic so maybe that's what you should do. Work on some stuff for about a week for at least 3-4 hours a day and then see how it goes.

I have a method that I really shouldn't recommend but I thought I'd share it anyway. I work on several projects at the same time, each of these are different from each other. The differences are the theme, technique in which I use and the material on the character(some are mostly made out of hard surface). When I get tired of one of these projects I just switch over to whichever one I feel like doing. This way I always have something to do and I rarely get sick of any of my projects. I always finish these projects up, of course ;)

Thanks, I think that's what I want to try this week. This thread got me to finally open up my UDK scene and start deleteing placeholder stuff and sorting out the stupid file system I had. Now I've got it clean and ready to do some actual modelling it feels good man!

I've tried that two projects on the go before, it was quite nice to be able to refresh myself!
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Here at work we are lucky to have a downtime. This time is used to document, update wiki and polish up those skills that we learned through the production of the games we just finished. This helps in a lot of ways, you actually have documentation of the work that won't be lost on stuff that was cool, or hard to figure out. Also, this time proves as a platform to start doing prototypes and get research done to try new things. The mindset that they have here is, sure, do all the research you want, but make sure it's always geared towards something. So we get to try different proposals, or work related things and upgrade our porfolios with stuff. I like this a lot. It actually gives me a time to not feel burned out. Work 8 hrs days spending time writing my findings, practice things that i think i could've done better, or work on something i wanted to try.

So i will be updating at some point all the work that i did, whenever the games go gold. But in the meantime i don't feel guilty about me not doing any personal work. Work is my personal hobby and what i do and learn through here will always stay with me. To me, that is worth 100 times more. I do appreciate the time i got to spend on my portfolio, now i just need to update with my current work, and now that i have some extra time revisit some of the things i am in the middle off.

Comes oct or nov, i'll have new projects to look fwd to, and in the meantime i do prototypes here at work and learn new skills and programs. Very satisfying.
  • Guriamo
    Offline / Send Message
    Guriamo polycounter lvl 17
    i think the biggest barrier is opening the application (3d programm, udk or whatever) after a long working day ... usually, if I get over this barrier I m stuck to the computer without noticing how the time flies by :)
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Guriamo wrote: »
    i think the biggest barrier is opening the application (3d programm, udk or whatever) after a long working day ... usually, if I get over this barrier I m stuck to the computer without noticing how the time flies by :)

I have all my 3d-tools on autostart at home... is that a bad sign? :D

chris: I dunno, i think its something that goes up and down, for me it also depends on how rewarding work is at the moment. Some of the games i have worked on turned out great as games, but really boring stuff to work on, so then I tend to push harder on my personal folio, since the stuff I do at work is so techincal i cant really use it in my folio anyway. Most people stop working on their folios when they have a stable job, true story. ^^ Sometimes you simply need a break from doing folio work.(even though i might not be a good example of this)
  • Mcejn
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Snefer wrote: »
    I have all my 3d-tools on autostart at home... is that a bad sign? :D

Hehe, I found a while back that simply NEVER SHUTTING OFF MY PC worked for me.

Going to the pimping forum is usually a way to get me going with my day. After getting a job, finding the time to actively work on personal art (though I do take a break and make things in other styles from my stuff at work) is tricky for me. Variety is extremely helpful in keeping myself active and fresh.

It's tough doing same thing over and over and over and over. Even if you like it.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    Well work is very rewarding at the moment, I feel really productive even though it's not really what I'm used to. It's a lot of fun being a level artist. I do feel like I'm improving at work as well, but while the project is going I don't really have anything to show for it until the end. ^^

I've started a couple of material studies, I'm currently trying to get good concrete, do a couple of modular sets of concrete textures then move onto another material like metal. It's quick and rewarding.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    My advice would be work your daily 8 hours and no more, avoid the fatigue. Don't use the computer to make that thing we call "art" on weekends or in your spare time, don't kill yourself working and play as much. When we work, our hobby = not again a hobby. Disconnect, plug off your mind from that silly tool called PC.

Working in a gamecompany is enough to get better daily. If you don't, i'm so sorry to say you may have reached your limit. Try to find fastest ways to work, and just take things in the easy way and avoid monotony. It's very common to get "collapsed" when we want to do several things at once. And remember, a building i not builded in one day, it takes years and total perseverance.

You want to produce better things? stay as fresh as possible.

Another thing is that we must don't forget our work may be a shit, boring as hell. Sometimes i think: "3dmonkey job, wtf!". But as with all jobs, sometimes is better, sometimes worse, the work is work.

just my 2 cents
  • Sandro
    If you have a job and like what you are doing, then put all of your effort in that and stop making stressing demands of yourself, you'll just loose balance and everything will go bad one by one.

The way I see is that if you put your maximum effort in what you are doing currently (esp. if it is rewarding) then you'll have good time, learn a lot, earn respect of your peers for good work you are doing and have kickass portfolio pieces in the end.

If you have a special project in mind that you would love to work on your spare time, sure. Otherwise, I see no need to spread yourself thin.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Agreed with Blaizer.

If you do more than you will dry up yourself not only at home, but at work as well. Your idea for the materials is great, having you do writings and tutorials is always a big plus on learning and making sure one understands it.
  • Karmageddon
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    I'm on a computer way too much and I understand what you mean about not taking a breather. I went through DigiPen for 5 years and that felt like a constant crunch, and then going from contract to contract meant I had no time to really feel like I could unpack all my belongings and settle down. During the more comfortable areas of my jobs I find myself glued doing other art projects: wire sculptures, Photoshop paintings etc. But these always get the backburner to CG because that is what my career revolves around is 3D modeling and textures. It's not uncommon for me to come home from work at 6-7, run at the gym a bit and then work on Max until midnight. In fact most my weekends revolve around my computer and as accomplished as I do feel for bettering my portfolio and working on side art projects, it hits me once in awhile that my life is passing me by that I'm not getting outside enough and doing whatever normal 20-somethings do.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    You shouldn't feel bad about it at all. You need to have a balanced life between living and creating art. Since I have started I have done a few odd ended little projects here and there, nothing big or special. Just stuff to satisfy that itch you get every now and then. But beyond that I am enjoying actually living my life AWAY from the computer. Hanging out with friends and doing fun/social activities.

I find it actually helps me enjoy coming to work and putting in those extra hours if need be more then anything. I get to do what I love for at least 8 hours at work every day. I dont need to come home and work more to feel satisfied with what I have done. Instead I use that time to do other things in life I enjoy, even if that is doing nothing more then just kicking back and relaxing.
  • Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    I think if you’re feeling bad about it, it’s your inner artist telling you that you’re not done yet, you've still got more to give and more to learn and it’s hungry for more right now. You can either feed that hunger or you can start that classic 'plateau' where you put your feet up and begin your metamorphosis into one of those guys that doesn’t really give a shit anymore because you did enough to get into the industry and now you can get comfortable.

You go from young, energy filled, savage killer, pumping out shit to achieve you’re goal of getting good enough to break in, to laid back easy going guy that talks alot and has an oppinion on everything. You get to the goal and instead of picking the goalpost up and throwing it way the fuck down the field again your like.. Ahhhhhhhhhh *puts feet up on couch* and you know what, more power to you if that’s the way you want to go. But let me tell you - those are typically the guys who when they fall out of jobs, find it tough to get in again, especially if they haven’t been keeping relevant with their skills. If anyones butthurt by that comment, then you probably know your one of those guys.

But I definitely know the guilt feeling you’re talking about all too well and now I use it like a wakeupcall.. "FUCK I've been slacking, time to work on some shit!

So if you’re asking me, what I would do? I would say fuck all this advice about relaxing and chilling out "after work" because that doesn’t jive with me, in fact that would make me feel even guiltier!!!
    I enjoy working all day long in a games company, and then coming home and unleashing my own art. Because I enjoy spending my time doing this stuff - after hours is the time I get to make shit I WANT TO MAKE, untainted by anything else, and why would I deprive myself of something I enjoy doing!? Maybe im actually a brilliant musician but I didnt know - too bad, I chose this and I enjoy it so im going ballsdeep until I dont enjoy it anymore.

Doing this stuff for money = work - your paid to do a task the way your asked to do it.
    Doing this stuff on your own time = love - make whatever you want, they way you want to no restrictions except your own ability, imagination and creativity.

For me this is all like a relationship and like any other there are positives and negatives, and compromises and sacrfices to be made, but if overal the benefits are positive then I think thats a good thing, if its not, you probably need to make some adjustments.

I realise that its not the way for many people as they generally have a huge array of hobbies, or family other than this 'work' stuff, but to me this dilemma is totally personal, its 100% about you and noone else.

Ultimately, no one can know what makes you tick except you dude, I believe you already know the answer to this stuff - listen to what your guts telling you.

P.S I was once asked why I was making game models outside of working hours - And there was concerns, because the stuff I was making was absolutely opposite of what I was working on inhouse. I was really pissed off by this because A) My freetime is my time, I'll make whatever the hell I want to make and B) Because apparently it was cutting into the amount of overtime I could work and working for company X should be my highest priority! Yeah right - Being an artist is my highest priority, and any company that doesnt accomodate me for me, is a mere stepping stone.

Edit: I guess the whole reason for my train of thought is because typically when you do this stuff for a job, your largely spending the biggest chunk of your life bringing someone elses ideas and vision to reality, done in a way thats already mostly predetermined, maybe adding your own little touches here and there. ( which is not a bad thing, hell its great exp, but should just be one piece of the pie )
    By choosing to go to work, and then turning off the tap and stopping cold after 8-9 hours, your doing yourself a great disservice. Youre essentially never giving yourself enough time to explore what YOU are capable of as an artist. I think thats just the sadest thing ever to be honest. IMO Your ideas, potential and creativity as an individual artist deserves time - thats where youll get the biggest growth, artistically and personally. Just look at the last few years when you were attacking this stuff like a killer - the proofs right there.

BTW I dont see this as being about having an awesome folio, or even having a job man its all about just feeding that hungry artist inside you. I might sound like a maniac - but I play games, watch movies and go on weekend outings as often as I can with my wife. What I dont do a lot of is spend idle time fucking about on the internet where hours upon hours can just dissapear for absolutely no gain for my quest to be an artist.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Hazardous do me a favor and stick around forever.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    this thread is easily one of my favorites, Hazardous Thank you so much for that insight. :)
  • JoeCyriac
    Heh, lots of viewpoints here.

Folks here have raised a lots of good points. IMHO, if you're feeling guilty, you may need to put more time into your personal stuff. This is an incredibly competitive industry and we need to improve constantly. So you keep working till you can, but if you're not being productive and getting better (which you can measure objectively), you need to take a break and come back with fresh eyes. As artists we need fuel. Books, movies, games, whatever. Your personal work's where you try out new ideas and techniques that's different from work stuff, so you can recharge and refresh yourself. But once you start something, it's on. Finish it.

I don't think loads of pressure helps in learning or getting better. Relax, set achieveable goals, and make sure you achieve them.

Just my two cents.
  • DEElekgolo
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Reading books allows you to extrapolate creative ideas of your own by feeding your creative mind a logical array of words to interpret visually in its own way.
    Playing video games and movies just does all that fun work for you.

I like books.
    Drawing on the right side of the brain is a pretty good book.

I could probably write an entire viewpoint now but I'm going to sleep. You know some people aren't able to sleep as much as they used to? Crazy right?
  • foreverendering
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    I think it's normal to tail off doing personal art once you settle into a job. For my first five years after getting into the game industry, I continued to do quite a few personal projects. Like others have said, it can start to burn you out.

It's hard to say when is an okay time to take a breather. I guess it really comes down to the individual and what his/her goals are. I know at one point I just looked over my portfolio and thought, "This is a good enough representation of where I'm at with my art, it could be better but I'm okay with it, and I just want to do other things and chill when I'm not at work."

For the last couple years I've been taking it a lot more easy on doing personal stuff. I have a model I pick away at when I feel like it, but I don't feel the need or desire to stay up till 3 or 4 am hammering away on a project. Doing personal art is great but there definitely needs to be a balance. If you keep forcing yourself to make art even when you're tired or burned out, the work just suffers in the end, which can be very frustrating.

If you're really feeling guilty about not doing art when at home, you can always at least look at a lot of art. It's always good to go through tons of artwork (online galleries, art books, or other) and just try to determine what it is you like about the pieces you're looking at - basically focus on training your eye. Then, when you do eventually do some work, you will have a stronger idea of what you like, what you feel works well, and why.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice reply Hazardous !I totally agree with what you're saying, I do believe that I have a lot more to give an an artist, I know that I can grow rapidly if I try my hardest. I do believe I get better all the time even without actual proper portfolio work at home. I always tend to do smaller projects however most of which I only show off to workbuddies.

Using the guilt-feeling like a wake-up call, that's a good one. :)
  • d1ver
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey, Chris, just have another idea for you.

I kinda realized that I literally have dozens of tabs open in my browser that just wait for me to get to them and read some game art related goodies. So as much as studying is about practice it's about theory as well. And instead of making art all the time to become better you could just spend an hour a day to read all the great info that's around and then do a personal project once every few month to test out everything you've learned and try to apply it in your workflow if your day job does not allow that. I must say that a breather between projects is the time I kinda learn most. I look for new techniques and ideas and you can do that without actually making art for a while. And at the end of the day you're still a better artist and you're working on yourself.

I also tend to do preproduction for a lot of ideas I have simultaneously until I have enough reference/ideas that inspire me to plunge into proper production. Maybe this is something that could be useful to you as well?
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Some advice you guys might find motivating: http://vimeo.com/24715531
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous wrote: »
    But let me tell you - those are typically the guys who when they fall out of jobs, find it tough to get in again, especially if they haven’t been keeping relevant with their skills. If anyones butthurt by that comment, then you probably know your one of those guys.
    I KNOW I was one of those guys, hence the difficulty finding a new job.

I'll add to this one little thing from my life.
    I spent 3 years in a studio work my ass off on hard-surface models. all the while assuming I would get done with this project and move straight into a character position.
    that was the biggest mistake I've ever made.

The fact was, I spent three years not learning SHIT about character modeling and when I left that job I realized how behind I really was.

So yeah like Hazardous says, if your not EXACTLY where you want to be, take a look at the road ahead and do what you need to to get there.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I agree with a lot of what Hazarous said on being "complacent" and falling by the way side. Seen way too many people fall into this trap.

Although you do have to remember its also a delicate timing balance. For myself, right now we are crunching away to finish Uncharted 3 up here and have been for a while. I haven't done anything personal in a months but I am ok with that. Not because I am just kicking up my feet and not caring about personal stuff, but because I am very invested in my work and take a lot of personal pride in doing the best work I can.

I haven't had a problem not doing anything personal because I enjoy what I do at work so much more then just another "cog" in a machine making a game. For me, all the free time I have I want to put into making our game one of the best there is to make it a truly awesome experience for those who pick it up and get lost in the world. Much the same the way I felt when I was little playing games like Zelda and such.

I can wait till the project is over to ease to a more comfortable work schedule so I can do some cool personal projects I have been kicking around for a while. But like with everything in life, dont just do things to do them. Find that balance that makes you happy.

Doing a ton of personal work or work related work dosnt make you a great artist. And enjoying a balance of work and non work dosnt make you a bad or lazy artist. None of that matters really. What matters is that you are doing the best work you can and constantly push yourself to be a better artist whether its in your personal work or your production work.