Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ArenaNet Environment Art Test - Yes, another one!

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Butthair polycounter lvl 11
Finally, I can start taking this on. My previous project is nearing a presentable state.

Starting off with some clay renders and wireframes.
Working on the textures now! :)

A question: The restrictions state 3000 polys. Do they mean polygons (four-sided)? Or triangles?

01_ClayRender.jpg

01_ClayRenderWireframes.jpg

Replies

• ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    look good , cant's wait to see how are you going with texturing this ? you going to use tiling textures ?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I'm gonna guess they mean triangles.
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Looks great :)
    I really wish that art test would state triangles or vertices...would make everything much easier, but if the budget is ambiguous, I would always assume they mean triangles.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    well, its always meant to be triangles;)
    Polygons are something non-existent, and 3d-app dependent as every app supports them differently. In any case those r still triangle but rendered without every triangle edge for the sake of visual ease. So everything in the end consists of and counted in triangles...
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I would ask them what they mean. It's just better finding out from them then us. ask questions!
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone. Five days later... It definitely feels way longer. Making textures from scratch, albeit fun, is more time consuming that I imagined.

Enough about me, here's an update, nearly finished with it. This is the stage where crits and comments will help push it even further. Let me know what you guys and gals think of it - colors, details, shapes, etc.

Things in works:
    - Tall Grass and Alphas
    - Flowers and Alphas
    - Possibly some Hanging Moss????
    - Emissive maps for the windows, the door windows, and the lantern
    - Alpha for some chains the lantern uses

03_TextureWork.jpg

I'm sitting at 2472 tris, so I got a spare 500+ to add to shapes and refining where needed. Pretty much maxed out on texture space. I might be able to have 3 x256's (if I don't do the moss). I'll post my textures closer towards the finish, unless someone requests something in particular.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think this is my favorite model of that building. I like the thicker wood bases and flairs going on, I think you messed up the texture on half the wood support that connects to the lamp, but you probably already noticed. I'm not a fan of the inside the roof wood texture by the front door, it looks okay on the roof, maybe just the scall is too small by the door :\ also the windows are weird texture wise.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ZacD, means a lot if it is your favorite. I've seen the others on here and theirs looks good too. Good eye btw, I hadn't noticed it, took me awhile to catch it when I read it. Looking back up at it again, I noticed another one with the wrong material.. haha, I'm gunna go paranoid soon, looking it over. Scaled the wood, it looks better bigger, woot.

Here's a quick update, added some flowers and grass. I might try to add in some actuall grass blades, we'll see how that goes.
    03_TextureWork2.jpg
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    The architecture looks excellent but your foliage and the way you're presenting your model are seriously hurting it. Your foliage looks like a cardboard standup photo of a really moldy muffin with sunflowers pasted on it that you masked out without color correcting. Not sure what your geometry count is but you need a lot more of it in your plants... If you make foliage with masks that blobby it really exagerates the planar-ness of it.

pc_paintover_-_foliagesilhouette.jpg

Your presentation basically has no highlights or direct shadow. You've got nothing but ambient shadow with no lighting. It looks like it was offline rendered... Never offline render gameart. Drop Xoliul 2 on that and do it proper.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    What dii said, and please do something about those floating wall stones; chamfer them or something. Also, what happened to your sign in the untextured render?
    medi_housecopy.jpg

SUGGESTIONS
  • DaveSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man. I am just getting started on my textures for this but you definitely just made me nervous. I love what you are doing but agree with a lot of what has been said already. The one thing I did notice is that I can see exactly where your brick texture repeats. I've highlighted it in this image. I would make it a less subtle repeat if possible.

A1QG7.jpg

The problem is that the Left edge of the block is a really hard transition that continues up to two or three more blocks and makes it really visible once you've noticed it. I feel like if you could edit the texture there it would be a huge help.
  • DaveSilver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh also someone emailed them and asked whether the meant polys or tris and they meant tris.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits guys. Thanks to each for taking the time out to add some visuals to the crits, more help than words lemme tell ya.

@ dii: I admit, I've never really done a grass alpha lol. Half way through I realized I wasn't sure what I was doing, but the focus on silhouette helps, at least, in theory. Lemme know if it looks any better, I'm not so sure, been staring at it for too long.

@ P442: Thank you for ripping at it. I'll fix the roof things and add some shape too, you have a good point there. Grunge is coming, I agree. I desaturated the door, it was too bright. I gotta play around with the lantern more, most the focus is on this grass.

@ DaveSilver: Thanks for the confidence boost. After that horrid grass, I need something, hahaha. I'll tweak the texture once this grass is handled, I never noticed it before, but now that you point out that stone, I can't not stop looking at it!

So anyways, since the last post and reading your guys comments, I started reworking the grass. I have to say I feel I've done better, but no doubt I've missed something. Here's the update:
    04_GrassTest.jpg
    If it looks like it could work I'll keep working it. Otherwise, I'm thinking the grass base isn't right for the tall sticking out grass type.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    This is looking pretty solid. The blocks that stick out don't quite fit in with the texture, mostly because they are too big. The roof looks a bit busy, you could tone down the shadows a tad. Otherwise, looking great.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Are you going to render it in something better than what I assume is a viewport screengrab? Otherwise it's the best attempt I've seen.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    At the moment the biggest thing for me is the inconsistency in style. For example roof, walls, wooden bits etc look like they are from Oblivion while front doors, glass, lantern are very stylised (kinda Fable like), almost cartoony. I just put my thumb in front of the door part and the image felt completely different.

You could also add a bit of variation in the silhouette. Like arcing the roof of the entrance, varying the size of those chimney pipes.
    I also like the the more vivid grass better. This just seams bland.
    But overall a great progress and can't wait for the next upadete!
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The blocks are looking good small, but I do also like the big, so I'll play around with that more.

@ martinszme. You have a good point about the style.

I'm getting some good comments and adding a varying silhouette, but atm I just want the grass to look right. It seems it might be a problem, I might change it altogether. Once that's finally something I'm happy with, I'll jump back to the 3D stuff.

Thanks for the comments, all of you, they always help and keep me moving on this.

EDIT: I totally forgot to ask.. If I use alphas for masking and specular ( all being black and white ), and if I combine three B/W images in one image for each channel (RGB), is that still considered 1 image? I'd think so.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm happy with the grass. Might just need a few more scattered about. Worked on the roof shape a little and changed up the wood on the top. Optimized some tris, tweaked some colors, playing with lighting and renders in max. Until everything else is done I'll move it to UDK.

Working on a grunge for the roof, wood, stone and plaster. I'll vary that as well as the grass stuff with UDK's shader stuff. Lemme know what seems like a problem, I want to get everything wrapped up and put into UDk asap, this way avoiding reimporting constantly ( like that's ever once happened =/ ).

The tri count is wrong, I think I'm around 2800 now.

04_GrassTest3.jpg
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just touched some things up. Tweaked here and there. Added a whether vane! Woo!
    Polish_1.jpg
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Hey man, this is looking really nice! I love the little doo-dads you've added. The brick/stone texture also stands out as looking really nice.

If anything the bricks sticking out of the stone feel like they've been pushed a out a little too far. They also look like they've been displaced by a uniform amount, which feels odd to me.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hear ya sebeuroc. I'll tweak them and see if they look good more in and deformed, it's a person taste to have the popping farther out. I imagine the player wouldn't spend as long as me or viewers on this, so the read should be instant. I will test them more.

It's kind of eerie, sebeuroc, I called them doodads.. >.>
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update. Tweaking some more things. It's in UDK now, worked on the shaders mostly, lighting is a first pass, refining the shaders a little now, seeing the lights. Got some issues with smoothing groups. This new max version is a little more buggy than previous..

Anyways...
    05_UDK_Screengrab_01.jpg
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Great Work, this looks phenomenal.
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, looks loads better. Great progress!
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Hey. This looks great. Consider separating out the roof from the greens of the grass and moss, eh? Maybe? Also I'm not a big fan of the plaster or wood textures. A little more brown on the wood, a little more clean on the plaster? What do you think?
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Albert and martin.

@ stoofoo: I got a similar comment from someone, the roof was a bit too green, I made it bluer and added some grunge on top. I'll try some tests with the wood and plaster, couldn't hurt at this point. Thanks for the refresher, good to have a fresh pair of eyes. The concept has some deeper browns for wood and a cleaner plaster, however, I like the plaster just as personally taste, but I'll definitely try your suggestions.

@ subeuroc: It looks nicer with the stones in :). I like them out, but it's better for the whole piece.

I'm also going to add a little more to the entry way, some vines and whatnot. Anyways, I'll put some tweaks up later. I'm also wrapping up overall so I'll post texture breakdowns, wireframes, the whole smear soon.

Thanks for the comments and crits everyone.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roof is bluer. Plaster is cleaner. Wood is browner. Windows are have a more subtle highlight. Added some noise to the whether vane. Made a sign and ivy with the remaining texture space. 4 tris leftover, I could add a little more ivy or something. I tweaked the grass, though it doesn't seem to noticeable, I'm also going to play around with the grass color, I kind of like it more saturated, but it might not work. Lastly, I brought the door color up.
    06_Final_01.jpg

Things left to do:
    - Make sure it's done. :poly142:
    - Make a video.
    - Work on a night shot (the windows, door and lantern will be lit through emissive. Door and windows will be the blue I had from before)
    - Presentation. Texture pages, wireframes, clays, final renders, etc.
    - I wanted to add a base to make it more of a standalone piece, instead of the UDK blah. I would want to send it in, I might, not sure. But I'll make it either way for myself.
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome work, man. This is looking great!
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey hey hey everyone. I'm calling this finished. Working on presentation now.

Here's the beauty shots for now. Wires, clays, night shots, and video in works. C&C always welcome, nothings final 'til the 21st.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Fixed. Pictures were overwritten.
    01_aNet_ArtTest_Composition.jpg
    02_aNet_ArtTest_Front.jpg
    03_aNet_ArtTest_Rear.jpg
    04_aNet_ArtTest_CloseUp.jpg
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, not much of an update this time. Been working and reworking the final renders to get them looking as best as possible. Small tweaks here and there, probably not worth posting as they aren't very noticeable.

I did add smoke however, found one last spot in my textures for it. Speaking of which, I worked on a texture presentation, but I'm pretty new to it. I'd appreciate some nice harsh crits about it, let me know if I'm on the right track or if you happen to have a good reference, I'll take a look.

I'm assuming the due date is Tuesday midnight? I sent them an email about something else, but they haven't gotten back, so I don't know if I should try asking that, not sure how the poly/tri question got answered, but I'm going to be working non-stop and submit it before midnight, unless I hear otherwise.

Anyways, the rest will come soon, for now:

EDIT: Also fixed!
    05_TexturePage1.jpg
    06_TexturePage2.jpg

I'm wondering, should I include the shader work for UDK? I think I will just to be safe.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Nice to see your progress and how much it's improved. The design of the building has character. keep up the good work.
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    What did they mean by "use the maximum equivalent of two 1024
  • yeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Terrific job! This has most definitely come a long way since the first image. Glad to see you take in the crits and keep pushing forward. I could try ease the black lines in some areas a bit more and give them a slight tint and see how it works out, unless it's a certain style you are going for. Also yours has one of the best silhouettes of all the buildings I've seen for this test, love it!
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Four 512's = 1 1024x1024
    Four 256x512's = 1 512x1024
    Two 256's = 1 256x512
    Two 128x256's = 128x512
    One 256x256
    One 128x256

Looks like he is still within the guidelines.

Great job on finishing, I personally feel there is too much painted in lighting, but that is just a personal preference. Good job on the execution and clever use of alphas.
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Quack! wrote: »
    Four 512's = 1 1024x1024
    Four 256x512's = 1 512x1024
    Two 256's = 1 256x512
    Two 128x256's = 128x512
    One 256x256
    One 128x256

Looks like he is still within the guidelines.

Great job on finishing, I personally feel there is too much painted in lighting, but that is just a personal preference. Good job on the execution and clever use of alphas.

Hmmm.. yea I don't know. I read it as a maximum of two 1K maps total. So everything added up could not be more than 2K. (Not including the normal/spec maps)

One 1024x1024
    One 512x512
    Two 256x256
    Total = One 2048x2048 or Two 1024x1024

That make sense? I guess it depends on the configuration they are referring to. It just seems like a lot of texture maps for one model.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, gobee, one 2048x2048 is not the same as 2 1024x1024. The x actually means multiply. =) 1 2048 = 4 1024s. Do the math. ;)

Butthair is totally in budget and he's done a stellar job. High five. IT is a litttlee contrasty and stylized for our art style, but you smoked this test. High five, bud.
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Cool. Thanks for clearing that up. I always sucked at math.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man, I didn't expect so many positive comments. Thanks you guys, it's a real confidence booster. Something I was iffy about to was the use of combined alphas, but I figure if the file size is equal to 2x1024s, it should be withing guidelines (Thanks stoofoo for clearing that!). I had to go through a few iterations on paper of designing the textures, and hearing that it is valid makes me happy I took the time.

I'll see about tweaking the textures to the according comments, it's true, it isn't the guild wars style, I'll agree, but most of the content I remember is from the first guild wars, which was a tad bit low res, and gw2 vids only show so much. Either way, I think small changes would be able to fit within time atm, mainly doing renders so lots of wait, wait, wait, re-render kind of stuff.

As for crits, I was actually asking about presentation, but since no one seems to have issues with layout, I'm gunna green light that, like I said, will try some texture modifications.

Thanks you guys, I'll have everything hopefully done by 9pm.

Thank you stoofoo, especially, coming from an aNet man, it means a great deal. Btw, if you could answer the question about the texture pages, then maybe you could clear up whether the deadline is tuesday midnight, or wednesday midnight...?
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If today is the deadline, then I'm calling it done. :)
    If not, I'm still working on it then.

Shaders and clays!
    07_ShaderSetup_Primary.jpg
    08_ShaderSetup_Alternates.jpg
    Tryin' something new for these clays..
    09_ClayRender.jpg
    10_ClayRenderWires.jpg

Up next....
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    AMAZING WORK!!! I love the look. But that one building is lonely. MAKE MORE PLZZZZ!!! I wanna see a whole village. :)
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Well I honestly say you are beating my attempt to the ground ;p.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *thumbs nose*

Did you submit this?
  • yeman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo wrote: »
    *thumbs nose*

Did you submit this?

Oh no Butthair check your spam folder!

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1431812&postcount=16
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm kinda of confused, but yes it is submitted.
  • Lombos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lombos polycounter lvl 6
    Butthair wrote: »
    I'm kinda of confused, but yes it is submitted.

I believe stoofoo said ...
    stoofoo wrote: »
    *thumbs nose*

Did you submit this?

....because he doesn't remember seeing this being submitted?

and yeman linked a post by someone trying to submit their work and it was not going through because the file size was too big.
    yeman wrote: »

After all that hard work and getting it to look so nice you might want to double check you didn't get something in your spam folder saying the email was too big to go through.

Anyway it looks great! :thumbup:
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Lombos, I understand, no more confusion. I actually got an email from Dave Beetlestone, he also asked me, but then confirmed that it was received.

I uploaded my file to googleDocs and megaUpload because of file size issues. Thanks, all of you, for looking out. Everything seems good now.

On another note, I did my first pass with a movie, however, I'm going to revise some things about it before I post the revision.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a base for the house, but now I want to make it more of a diorama. I had some ideas while working on and now that the test is over, I'm going to take it further. The focus for it will be trying to reuse the texture I already made to create new assets.

The new direction of environment art is definitely going modular. I'll be posting up some new stuff every so often, so critiques and comments on the new stuff would be great.

I still want to restrict the amount of textures used, keep the same style, allocate a reasonable amount of polys for new assets, and create a completed scene. I've only needed to make one new texture so far, but I'm trying to find workarounds, rather than unique meshes.

Here's a start for now. They might need some refinement, I'm starting to get into the feel of the entire scene, keeping in mind the concept and how the rest should look (albeit stylized).

01_ExtraAssets.jpg
  • Urkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is great, well done! I don't really dig the rooster though. Feels a bit off and unnecessary to me.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, Great work so far, one of the best I've seen, lots of character whilst keeping true to the original concept. Good work :)