Home Technical Talk

Check my normal artifact [Error dump]

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
So, i've sean that there's ALOT of "What's wrong with my normalmap"-thread here. So i though that we could make a big one for all them instead.

I thought that i can put up some basic error checking links later..

First of, i got my own artifact. It's from the project i'm working on right now. The one on the left is the one i used to bake with and the right one have bean exported from maya and in again as an obj. (lost the actuall render object in my scene file)

They have the EXACT same UV cords, thay are smoothed the same and they use the same material. WHAT THE FUCK? How can the right one have an error? Don't get it..

StrangeNrmError.jpg

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Being "smoothed" the same doesn't mean much, the normals could be pointing in slightly different directions, the tangents etc could have been(and likely were) lost when you exported as obj and imported.

Also in maya, I've noticed different mesh normals when doing "average normals" and "smooth normals" - again another example that being smoothed the same doesn't account to much. The mesh normals and tangents have to be exactly the same.

Also the left image has an error as well, the seam in the middle.

The easily solution if you've simply lost the original mesh you baked with, is to bake again. With something simple like this it should only take a second.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    That it would be a diffidence between average and smooth is news for me.. Why can't they just keep it at one method >.<

But yeah, this wasn't really a problem, it just got me confused..

Thx for the explanation :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh also, I've had similar issues in maya when i import models from modo, and some uv bits are randomly unwelded. Doing a quick auto weld is something i always do when importing a mesh into maya.