Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Art Wall

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
A friend and myself are putting together an art wall at a local gaming tavern. I'm handling the concept and the characters, she's building the backdrop and painting it. I'll try and get some in progress photos of the wall up later, but for now here are the in progress characters that will be going up on it.

knight.gif

bishop.gif

Rook.gif

The second and third critters there still need a bit of work on their line weights before I declare them ready for shading. I'm still trying to decide if I want to shade them in pencil or in half-tone I've never worked with half-tone before, but I'm not entirely sold on the results of the pencil work. Here's a test piece. Ignore the clock hands, they're just there because I'm fanzigures.

Knight-Complete.gif

Replies

• roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    nice clean line drawings.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Pretty cool stuff, reminds me a bit of Bayonetta. I do feel like the they kinda don't have a focal point and kind of hard to focus or read it..but I dunno if that matters for the situation
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Looks clean and confident, but I'll be honest I can't tell what I'm looking at in just about any of them. I mean, I can, but it doesn't really make sense in my head. I just now figured out the top one is a sort of centaur thing. The other ones I can interpret the different parts, but I can't imagine them moving or being an actual creature in my head. I don't know if the second one is supposed to walk, float, or fall over.

If they're just supposed to look cool and not be seen as actual creatures, I can see them looking neat just as a picture rather than as a concept.

If you want them to look like creatures, and have the person picture them moving or existing in their heads - I'd rework the poses. Maybe have the centaur thing...standing or something, rather than just kinda flying.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

@RoosterMAP: Thanks for the compliment. I'm a big fan of clean work, though I'm sure I can make my stuff sharper.

@ ErichWK & Two Listen: Thanks for the critique, I've been feeling like something wasn't coming through as well as it could for a while. It's good to hear it the way you worded it. The look I'm aiming for is a hard but sentient plastic. Each of their heads is marked out with the sundial, so you can always find that, but truthfully there's very little that marks these creatures out as alive.

Here is a collection of influences I'm bringing in on this project, hopeful it will help you see what I'm aiming for:
    influence-1.png

The reason they have no sense of ground is they're going to be placed on a wall in a collage style, images around another image. They're not actually going to be standing on anything. You can see some of that in the rest of the characters here.

queen_sketch.jpg

pawn_sketch.jpg

huston_sketch.jpg

With that in mind, what do you think I should do to push the characters? I'm aiming for dynamic poses on these guys, as that's not something I really push myself on, also the really heavy emphasis on hardened organic shapes.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the "queen" is actually a really good example of something that fits what you're going for but is still very readable. It's a pose, not grounded - but something familiar to us as humans and what we can recognize. It's shapes follow what appears to be a predetermined curve, rather than being mushed together all jumbled like.

Your centaur "knight" as an example, could be seen jumping (kinda like a horse jumps over hurdles and what not). It's dynamic, got some motion - is a recognizable shape and form people are familiar with. At the moment it's kinda like your centaur was jumping, but was then hit by a flyswatter.

Though - I think your queen's right hand might be uh...backwards. Take a look at her thumb and pointer finger, and try to do that yourself. Not sure if that was intentional or not but something I noticed just now. If that was intentional then no worries.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen wrote: »
    I can't tell what I'm looking at in just about any of them.

seconded
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TeriyakiStyle: I eventually output the lines into Photoshop for printing. After that I've been shading them with pencil, but it's just not pulling off the lights and darks I'm shooting for, hence the consideration of half-tone.
    The space marine looking guy is a member of the Army Corp of Engineers. He's the hero of the story, but yeah he sort of stands out in contrast to the other art style. Is that good or bad? I'm not sure just yet. He's supposed to be a focal point in of the project, so maybe it's good? I'm super interested in other opinions though.

@TwoListen: Well it helps that she's largely humanoid (goddamned right hand, thanks for the spot on that, I'll fix it in post). I think you have a good point about the Knight though. Something I could try would be to make the individual pieces that make these characters up significantly less chunky so they dont overlap as much. when I draw them I'm confined to an 8.5x11 piece of paper and that keeps me from miniaturizing too much. A final pass on the computer would have no such limitations though so that could be a good place to re-envision how these guys are supposed to be put together. I'll try and put together some sketches to see where I can push these designs now that I have the basic shapes nailed down.

@Achillesian: Thanks for the 2nd opinion doc, any suggestions on how to make them pop a little better?
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm starting with the retread of the Knight and looking back on the inspirations I'm pulling from, and the what I originally produced, I should be using much simpler, and more powerful shapes to communicate the creature. Instead I over produced the forms with too many lines instead of leaving it to impression or shading to handle the separation of forms. Here's the beginnings of a retread of the concept, and ok I admit it, I'm a pretty shitty concept artist.

new-knight.png

If anyone has any suggestions of where I can push this they would be welcome. The core feel of this entity should be that of a shark crossed with cutlery. I'm definitively thinking I can push that further.
  • nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why does he have a third leg in front? also what happened to the awesome line quality of the first ones?
    i think the other pieces would work fine if they weren't cluttered and had a clear core concept to them as they are, they loose focus because the viewer cant tell what part is body and what part is extra limbs and /or weapons and such. as for the soldier guy, if your going to do a wall based on chess pieces then maybe he should be more chess like? if there are more regular dudes then he's cool. btw i'd love to see you do a rook. i think you could make it pretty awesome.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Stinkhorse: can u tell me where is the 2nd knight (from the top left) on ur influence image from?
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nightshade: In order!
    1. Because weaponized cod pieces are cool.
    2. Because I'm trying to find a new direction, I'm kind of bad at concept sketches, and it is that, a concept sketch. The cleaner, finalized work takes hours and hours.
    I think you're largely correct, using the outline to indicate complexity, and doing so only in specifically targeted areas.

Also the Rook is the third one down from the top of this thread. The only piece not represented is the King because in the story he's a little metaphorical. The chess theme isn't even the point really, I simply started using it both as a way to limit the number of critters I was drawing and to give a touch of visual direction. The characters are actually 4th dimensional grim reapers forced into the 3rd dimension. Their forms are partially decided by the person looking at them. This is all stuff I didn't want to get into because it's a long and convoluted plot and the designs need to stand on their own without that explanation. It's clear that they aren't.

@Shotgun: It's a Shogun Nobody from Kingdom Hearts 2. They are fantastic games with amazing visual direction, and good beat-em-up action. You should play them if you haven't already.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok based on everyone's feedback I've redrawn the knight and focused on better readability of it's forms.

knight2.png

I removed a lot of the detail lines, directly connected a lot of it's parts that were previously connected like GI*Joe arms, and tried to thin up a bit of his bulk. I'm not entirely sold on the chest hatchet just yet, but I really like the idea of his whole torso being a blade of some sort. I also dumped the lance, which was a bit overwrought. Admittedly a rapier is really no less overwrought, but at least it's localized excess.

knight2mouth.png

And for good measure I drew the guy with this mouth open. all of the critters have mouths somewhere on them.

What do you guys think of the changes? what still needs work? Let me know!
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the new version enhances your readability a ton. I think with that pose and overall frame, it's safe to go over it and play a little bit with varying line weights with what you've got - help bring in some more of that style.

:thumbup:
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool. I'm going to move forward with the others than too. I don't think the Queen and Pawns need much work, other than a little adjustment to reduce the interior lines, and I think I can get by on the Bishop with some minor revisions as detailed as he is. It's the Rook that's really freaking me out. It has a crap ton of detail all over and it's totally huge in terms of scale to the others. I'm still trying to decide how to tackle it.
  • nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i actually liked your rook, i just didn't know that's what it was. maybe something more walking castle behemoth?
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    As a pretty serious chessplayer myself, these are pretty awesome. Will be following.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Following this closely!! This is going to look cool, good luck!!
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nightshade: Well then this is the post for you!

@Razgriz: Thanks. The chess suggestion came from a friend based off my earlier work on these critters. It really helped shore up the distinctions between them.

@Pior: I certainly hope it all ends up looking cool!

So the Rook, just the main body of the Rook not its ark, is reaching a completion point, but I'm running into the problem of how its forearms should look/work. They're supposed to act like drills or grinders so when it slams them on the ground they rotate at high speed to propel it forward.

rook2.png

So as it stands I'm not please with the idea of the treads made of clock arrows. It gets too busy. I'm appealing to you all for suggestions here? what should replace those with the idea that they need to rotate and pull him along?
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps a bunch of gears? Might seem a bit obvious but for some reason, I feel they're often associated with "clockwork" and that sort of thing on their own, so I think they may work for your idea and still fit the style.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It shames me to admit I hadn't thought of that yet. That would be perfect for the Rook too, as he's kind of the clock tower of the group.