Home General Discussion

Otoy’s Cloud Tools Can Render Stunningly Realistic Games and Films

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Davision3D polycounter
New technology for games, path traceing rendering and optionally rendered in the cloud!

http://venturebeat.com/2011/08/30/otoy-cloud-video-games/
Otoy will also launch Brigade, the first path tracer for rendering games which can create imagery in real time but not quite at the level of quality needed for films. Developed by Bikker in 2010, Brigade will enable game developers to make much more realistic games with scenes where it feels like you’re walking around inside a photo where the scenery and characters look real, Urbach said. If there are flaws in the image because your graphics chip in your PC can’t keep up with the demands of the image, then Otoy’s cloud technology will detect that and send down the data that is needed for the image at a high speed.
The Los Angeles-based company believes that future game consoles will use this kind of web-based technology to deliver outstanding game experiences to users.

Replies

• mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Interesting. They are definitely a company to keep an eye on. I'm not sure how this would work with real time games, as it was saying, but the renderer sounds both affordable and realistic. I wonder how simple it is to use? I may pick up the beta later this week.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    used octane render a while ago, it is cool but only in a frame by frame render, where each frame starts as a blobby mess of large pixels and becomes cleaner after 2minutes I would never expect it to do realtime 30fps visuals, octane render is definitely not a game engine but it sounds like maybe in the future they will figure out a way to make it into one.
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, I remember seeing the Otoy real time stuff awhile back, and being really impressed by it (even for as noisy as the images were). This sounds pretty amazing:

"If there are flaws in the image because your graphics chip in your PC can’t keep up with the demands of the image, then Otoy’s cloud technology will detect that and send down the data that is needed for the image at a high speed."
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mind-blowing lighting and shadows there that I would only love to dream in games. Though anyone willing to make a push for higher achievements that can be obtained by us the artists I am interested to see where it goes.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Ged wrote: »
    used octane render a while ago, it is cool but only in a frame by frame render, where each frame starts as a blobby mess of large pixels and becomes cleaner after 2minutes I would never expect it to do realtime 30fps visuals, octane render is definitely not a game engine but it sounds like maybe in the future they will figure out a way to make it into one.
    I have no idea how the tech of Brigade will be different to Octane but this sounds very promising to me: "The Otoy Brigade solution running on a single graphics chip can process a billion rays per second"
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    I understand the concept and how they plan to get it to work. But I would love to hear about if they will make this purchaseable or package or something for developers to use without a eval and high dev cost. I am very curious about this and how it would look in real time.
    Yea, a system like UDK or Cry Engine would be great!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    THREAD resurection alert!
    read up about this over the weekend again as i found some other info about it and its getting extremely promising

basically in brigade it shots about 1-4 rays per pixel every frame meaning its noisy as fuck at first but quickly converges as frame by frame it adds rays to the solution see it in action on his blog

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZlCWLbwC-0&feature=player_embedded"]Real-time photorealistic GPU path tracing: Streets of Asia - YouTube[/ame]

the current issue in the engine is that movement resets the solution so either moving light OR moving camera makes it noisy as hell again

BUT there are temporal reprojection solutions to this where you get the pixel from the last frame and move it to the current frames position and add that in to the solution, which then will only leave holes where newly exposed pixels (edge of screen etc) are noisy, apply some extra rays in the holes and it could look peachy

still wouldnt work for ray traced water or rain or anything as the screen could be totally animated...might have to do something different for stuff like that that wouldnt effect the ray solution

ive watched another tech based video which has some info on how this could be done for AO...but the same could be done on the brigade engine
    (videos here 29:00 minutes in but theres some cool info in there anyway)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MzSmdC49Ns&feature=player_embedded"]Advanced visual effects with DirectX 11 - YouTube[/ame]

anyway i think/hope when they get it working it will be sold as a third party rendering solution...