Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Sean Marino, Hard Surface Modeler

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Oniram polycounter lvl 15
So ive finally got my portfolio site finished and to my liking. I think the design is pretty straightforward and easy to navigate, but its also great to have another opinion. I am currently in the process of doing my demo reel for school, so most of the weapons on there (the first 4 i think) will be in my reel, as well as one more i am working on at the moment. Ive added some other things that ive done in the past year or so, various props and environments ive worked on (there is only 1 environment at the moment but i should have the others in momentarily), but my main focus is not the environments, but the weapons and props, to advocate myself as a hard surface modeler. any feedback on the models, textures, etc would be appreciated, as well as feedback on the website itself.

Thanks,
-Sean Marino

www.digitalmarino.com

UPDATE:

2011 Graduation Demo Reel (Rough Cut) - http://vimeo.com/28925682

Replies

• Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Great work, portfolio looks great to me.
  • gsokol
    Looks pretty solid, man.

Your site is easy enough to navigate...it all works so no complaints there. Its all simple and whatnot.

I like your work..your weapons are pretty sweet.

I think it would be beneficial to finish your props. The high poly models look nice, but you don't really show a lot of texturing.

I dig the environment, but your leaving a pretty big disclaimer out of it. You link to friends portfolios, and one of them also has that environment, but they mention that it was a team effort. You should definitely mention that, and possibly mention the specific parts that you made, so as not to seem like your taking credit for other peoples work.

Also, this is just my opinion, and you may disagree..but I'd feel a little uneasy about having links to other peoples work on my site. It would suck to have an employer migrate from your site to theirs and no longer be interested in you. Probably a paranoid thought, but why leave it up to chance?
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Sean,

Your content looks good. Though I think your presentation could be better. Should definitely throw your name and website down at the bottom. I see you have done it for some of them, but some don't have it. Helps keep a consistent look and easier to find you.

I would move the environment maybe below the props to showcase your hardsurface and modeling capabilities, also if possible maybe get them textured.

This point is mainly visual appeal but maybe have the background for the props be the same color as the background for the website. Again this might be a preference thing.

Looking forward to seeing more stuff from you. O and maybe some breakdowns of the weapons.
  • Striff
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    You really need to have some text introducing each portfolio piece. You need to explain what engine your environment piece was done in.

Also, you have some image compression issues with everything on this page :

http://www.digitalmarino.com/Props.php
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Really good folio, I would like to see some finished props on the props category tho, otherwise just call it high poly modeling. :)

Cheers man
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome! this is just the kind of crits i needed.

@kaburan: thanks. truth be told when i started to make my portfolio site about a year back, i copied some code from your site when i was learning how to do html.. mostly just for the rollovers. :D

@gskol: regarding the environments, yes i will do that immediately. on the original page for that environment (before i redid the site design) i had the text there explaining the entire project, but in a rush to redo the site i had left that out (as well as most of the other text too). i think i agree with your opinion about the links to other portfolios. id like to include them because we did work as a team, but i may do it in a bit more of a less "leave my site" manner.

@haiddasalami: that could definitely be something easily done, as i have a template for that, used in the scifi pistol, and since all my thumbnails are generally 768xsomething, that will be no problem. and what do you mean about breakdown for the weapons? do you mean you want to see textures? wireframes? bakes? (id imagine all of that. :D )

@striff: will do. and whats the issue with the image compression?

@HP: i may end up changing the title of that section, as most of those were textured (for an environment ill be adding), but to be honest im not too proud of how the textures came out, so yeah, hi poly modeling would probably be more appropriate.

@dustinbrown: haha, i made that bed about a year and 1/2 ago for a prison environment.

so just some personal notes:
    -add text
    -remove links
    -change title of props
    -add info to images
  • Sean VanGorder
    Lovely work man :) I agree with everything that's been said so far. Also, maybe add some wires and flats for the weapons?
  • fuzzio
    I really do like the high poly modelling, great job. Nice portfolio to, man i have to make mine sometime soon
  • Bart
    Great stuff you have there :) Love the website, very basic, easy access, clean.
    I agree with HP. Would be great to see the props finished and textured :)
  • AnimeAngel
    Really nice work man. I would take that bed out though. It really doesn't stand up to the rest of the portfolio. Also could use a lot more description about each project and how the end result was achieved.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sean: Thanks. yeah ill definitely do that. I wanted to test the weapons section out with maybe just a few pictures at first, but yea ill go back and add wires.

@fuzzio: thanks. :D

@Bart: thanks, more than likely i wont texture them. they're old models and generally, dunno. haha. if i find time maybe ill revisit one or two but i think ill just change that section to "High Poly Models"

@AnimeAngel: Thanks, i think at least until I can get some more props in there ill keep the bed, but maybe just put it toward the bottom.
  • David-J
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great. Adding to what people said I would just a bit more info on everything, wires, polycount, texture sheets, blah blah blah.

Other than that great portfolio.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks david.

for the most part i went back in and added in some text to introduce the models (except the props). i also added in some extra images (wires n such) and a little bit of info to the images themselves.

feel free to point out anything else. :D
  • mjackson126
    Great work dude! I do think you should texture your pieces though. As far as I know, props/weapons artists have to texture their assets, so I think proving you can texture would be a big plus.
  • megalmn2000
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Sexy content! You'll just need to put the wireframes and the textures, that's it! :)
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    nice work man. I really like your gun, but there is one small thing that bothers me about that guns texture. The sight looks very cg/Photoshopped to me. I would either give it its own material with some extra love, or simply lower the opacity of that red dot sight on the texture sheet.
    Also, the bed I think shows weakness with cloth sculpting in my opinion. I would just take that piece out all together. Other than that great work, and good luck man!

[edit] oh crap! just realized you have a bunch of really awesome weapons there! Ok, its probably been mentioned but you need to make it super obvious that you can select multiple weapons at the top there. I almost completely missed that.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    @mjackson: yea that seems to be the general agreement, but unfortunately at this time i cant texture those. the guns are textured which i guess matters most, but from here out whatever props i make will definitely get textured.

@minh: thanks. will do.

@brad: regarding the bed. it probably shows weakness in sculpting more than likely because it wasnt sculpted. :P haha. it was just a cloth sim in max, but yea ill remove it since its been brought up a couple times. and yea that is bad that the other guns were missed. i think it may help if i put the thumbs at the top and bottom, just in case someone goes scrolling, at least it will be there twice. (and instead of saying it i decided to be proactive before posting this.. changed. :D )

thanks
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    updated the first post with a rough cut of my graduation demo reel. ill be graduating from the art institute of fort lauderdale next thursday, so im gonna be touching this up until then. any suggestions would be great. :D

http://vimeo.com/28925682
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Sweet! :D You have some really awesome work in there man, looking goood :)

aww yeah, the demoreel was really good, I liked the length, really impressive textures and hi-res models. Good work!
  • Korrax
    I like ur work, Great Hard surface stuff ! I'd cut that 7 second into a bit shorter for ur final demo reel.
  • Bart
    Really great stuff Oniram :) Solid portfolio !
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

@Korrax: Which 7 second bit? if its in regards to the first 7 seconds where it says my name and weapons demo... i extended that because i needed the music to match up at the right time. but ill see what i can do.
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    + great work
    + easy/clean portfolio
    + CV as PDF and HTML
    = perfect :)
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks simonT. :D

link is updated. minor changes.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    its been a couple months since ive done any serious (personal) work, but i updated my site now to include my graduation demo reel, which i may or may not have linked somewhere else.. cant remember. ive also added 2 new pieces to my portfolio.

Environment > Art Test
    Weapons > Grenade

i havent posted either of those anywhere so feel free to give comment and critique on them. :D

link again so u dont have to go back to the firt page.

www.digitalmarino.com
  • ES_139
    sick work. Just a tiny thing that was bugging me the holo sight on the SMG is huge dont like that even if it is true to life.
  • Mio
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    very nice work. hard surface stuff looks awesome :)
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    ES_139 wrote: »
    sick work. Just a tiny thing that was bugging me the holo sight on the SMG is huge dont like that even if it is true to life.

i can also see where you're coming from ES but i think it's a red dot and not a holo cuz a holo wouldnt be that bright and it would only be visible from looking directly into the sight, maybe if he made the reticle just a tad smaller, but i love the whole thing so no complaints here lol
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I would pull this:
    watch.jpg

It looks much more like beginner work than the other content.
  • Sl1m
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Hey man. I'm working on a new game that's going to redefine gaming called End of the End of the Middle's Beginning. I think we could use your stuff.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    ES_139: yeah as dpaynter said, its a red dot. the size of it was actually shrunken down from how it was originally, but maybe it could be a bit smaller.

@Mio: thanks. just saw your m4 btw. looks awesome.

@Alec: will do. thanks.

@Sl1m: thank you.

@LRoy: are you working out a deal with Epic to find you a publisher? if not then its no deal.
  • ES_139
    dont get me wrong your work is really good man.

all im saying is it doesn't sit well with the eye against the rest of the model.
    tbh it looks like you photo shopped it as an after thought and its a primary colour so your eye is drawn straight to it.

Just give the reticle some treatment to make it look like its sitting in the sight and not just pasted on the render.
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    LRoy wrote: »
    Hey man. I'm working on a new game that's going to redefine gaming called End of the End of the Middle's Beginning. I think we could use your stuff.

roflmao ;)
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    ES_139 wrote: »
    dont get me wrong your work is really good man.

all im saying is it doesn't sit well with the eye against the rest of the model.
    tbh it looks like you photo shopped it as an after thought and its a primary colour so your eye is drawn straight to it.

Just give the reticle some treatment to make it look like its sitting in the sight and not just pasted on the render.

holy cow you're right! lol. i hadnt looked at it when i read your first comment, but i knew what you were talking about. i did end up going back and making it smaller but that was after i took those screens. XD i will update them later today. thanks
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Great layout, easy to navigate and great content overall.