Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Surly Bike Gang character.

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ebagg polycounter lvl 17
Polishing the high poly then it's on to UVs and texturing, all critiques welcomed and appreciated!
BikerSculpt04.jpg

Replies

• DietCoke
    Offline / Send Message
    DietCoke polycounter lvl 7
    Excellent work! Few suggestions: the proportions of his face are very realistic, and the proportions of the body are slightly exaggerated and cartoonish. I'd like to see his face mushed around and exaggerated a bit to match, especially since he has the huge beard. A bigger nose, rounder cheeks maybe? Also, his bandana looks a little bit like a form fitting bike helmet in the front shot. And maybe define his ass a bit more. It's looking a tad flat back there.
  • greevar
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    His head is too small for his body, his legs are too long, and his arms are too short.
  • Rai
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    greevar wrote: »
    His head is too small for his body, his legs are too long, and his arms are too short.

Now that my friends, is a hit and run C&C.
  • tyddynroger
    Offline / Send Message
    tyddynroger polycounter lvl 6
    google "bobby sons of anarchy" if you need any more ideas.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    For some reason I actually kinda like his proportions. I don't think they're so ridiculously out of whack as to be unbelievable. Maybe shorten up his legs a tiny bit...maybe...but for some reason, I find his overall shape real appealing. He's got some character, makes him feel like a real beast of a man.

I feel like his front is pretty bland, though. You can only tell he has a belt on by seeing it peeking in the back. Maybe something hanging out of one of his pockets - or a cool belt buckle or something?
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    give him some harder cheek bones and that should match the exaggeration in the body
  • demilich
    Offline / Send Message
    demilich polycounter lvl 8
    I say its looking great. The only thing so far is that you should rework his face. It is looking a bit flat to me. Perhaps give him more planar structure to define the underlying bone, the cheekbone for example. It might be the beard that is not allowing the face to show well.
    Also your elbows need better structure and your pant creases are still clay like, refine them with the trim dynamic brush or even flatten.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    pretty nice- I like the aggressive sculpting in the pants- otherwise though I feel you could define your shapes a bit more: face (cheek bones), sleeves, jacket (random folds/creases?)

Also he needs flare-
    jennifer-aniston-flair-office-space.jpg

little bits and doodads - think asymetry.

tied bandannas, buttons, patches, where`s he keep his smokes?, wear n tear, etc-
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Love it so far :) I also agree bandana looks a bit heavy at the moment. I also feel like the beard is missing some medium sized shapes - you've got the details in. Like clusters and and dirty bits of it :)
    perhaps this could help: Link
    http://www.frankrogers.org/beards.html
    not the best example but i could not find nothing better now.

EDIT:
    I found better reference and it is a bit stylized but you get what i mean with the medium details.
    beard.jpg
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Nice stuff so far. I'd agree that the bandanna looks too thick to be a thin piece of cloth.

Maybe try to incorporate the folds a bit more into the pants? They look a bit strokey if you understand what I mean. You definitely understand the way the folds work though, keep it up.
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Thx all for the great crits! Workin on these tweaks and more asymmetrical elements, added gloves, etc etc

BikerSculpt05.jpg
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
  • Barbarian
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian polycounter lvl 12
    They (as in the bikers) don't like to be called "gang" characters (you would not want to use the word "gang" in front of them). They are "club" members (cops call them gangs). "MC" on their jackets stands for motorcycle club.

If the guy just got off of a bike--put the three-rocker biker club patches on his jacket (if he is not wearing his "colors" then he is not riding or doing anything related to being a "biker"). Check out some Hell's Angels, Bandidos, Mongols, etc. jackets for reference.

The soles of his "boots" are too thick for riding. He wouldn't be able to shift gears.

Biker club members' jackets are always well-worn and dirty by the time they are "full patch" members. If you are going for authentic--consider that fact. These guys do not wash their jackets (which are denim). Only RUBs (rich urban bikers) wear clean leather. My leather jackets have lots of old bug stains on them. I earned every one of those little bastard bug hits, debris scratches, etc.
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Thx barbarian! Excellent information!
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    BTWIP01.jpg

Runtime texturing in progress! Detailing continues, spec map needed, crits welcomed!
  • SuPa-
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    I really like where this is going! One thing that I can point out right off the bat is that the texture needs some AO. For example, the area under the hat and where the arms meet the sleeves. Also, I'm not sure, but the hands might be a bit small.
  • sanketpro3d
    Offline / Send Message
    sanketpro3d polycounter lvl 7
    coming out nice ... agree with SuPa about AO. gud work.
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
  • Barbarian
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian polycounter lvl 12
    Good job polishing and improving it. Now he looks like a biker that just got off a bike after a long ride. Put some dirt/sweat on his doo-rag (damn things get sweaty and dirty after riding). As noted above the AO map would help.

Keep up the good work.
  • keizza
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    looks awesome. from the title of the post i totally thought you meant surly the bike company. WAAAHAHAHAHAHA. one thing i'd say, and i see this ALL the time....literally ALL the time. look at your arms...specifically the forearms, nobody ever creates the diffuse on the underside of the forearms as pasty white skin. most people don't really receive much sun on the bottom part of the arms.

basically this:
    underside of arms are somewhat of a contrast to the top part of the arms. sun hit's to top ie: a darker skin....underneath?, it should be lighter. si?

hope this makes sense. just came from a company party....little bit drinky. ha.

edit*
    i just looked at my own arms. top part of arms medium tan. lower part....white as fuck. ha.