Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New Galtia (UDK Environment)

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
Razgriz keyframe
So I think this project will be large enough to justify it's own thread. Over the next three months I'll be working on a large-scale environment, so I'll use this to document the progress. It will be a Manhattan-style metropolis set in a scientifically advanced alternate universe. I'll be starting by hopefully completing 2 high poly models a week until all of the assets are done. I don't have a ton else to share, but hopefully I'll do a decent job documenting my work here and keeping things updated. Critiques welcome.

The Art Deco statue is about 80% done, and the reactor is about 60%. Still fiddling around with design ideas.

statue_02.jpg
statue_03.jpg
reactor_01.jpg

Replies

• c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    We love art deco, what reference are you using? Stuff looks great so far <3
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    The reference for the statue is from the Niagara Mohawk building in New York (a gorgeous piece of Art Deco architecture), and the reactor is a mostly original design that I started off of a generator that had a form I found really interesting (and fun to model).

ref_01.jpg
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    love those deco! looks very nice
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    Good start. Not 100% sure about the face of that statue but the rest is great!
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Hey!!! Nice to see some Buffalo NY love, that is my home town.
  • RictusGrin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My hometown too. Great stuff Razgriz! Sort of reminds me of the art deco/neo goth architecture from Batman Returns. Looking forward to updates.
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Thanks, Simon (I saw you added me on linkedin - likewise). I'm certainly no character artist, but luckily it's just an asset.

Here's the final version of the reactor, now to finish two models for the next week.

reactor_02_edit.jpg
    reactor_03_edit.jpg
    reactor_04_edit.jpg
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Looking really solid dude, love the reactor especially.

Although, with the other piece (which looks great too by the way) I'm not too sure what your goal is - apparently it's a fairly recognizable landmark, but aren't you trying to make your own unique space? It might seem strange to some people to put something they recognize into a different setting for it, depend son what you're going for.

But that's just me looking for something to complain about, you've really improved a lot and this scene will surely look amazing.
  • Gumballcrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Both pieces are stunning, especially the reactor. How'd you go about rendering them both?
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Thanks Luke, yeah, I had no idea anybody had even seen it before, but I guess it's popular. I found it after a few hours of sifting through Art Deco architecture and sculpture images, and thought it would make a neat piece to tower over a specific area in the scene. Perhaps I'll texture it as granite or iron, other than the chrome/stainless steel I would have initially used.

Thanks, Gumball - the render setup I've been using is basically what is used in the Eat3d Dozer dvd, which a lot of tweaks and changes that I probably don't even remember. The foundation is a 3-point setup with MR sky portals (with slightly tinted photometric lights right near them), with Arch and Design material with the AO in the special effects slot activated.

Here's the start for the next asset.

wip_wheel.jpg
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really good, I love your statue.

I'm assuming new galtia is a reference to john golt from atlas shrugged? As the cover is your avatar. In which case I love the 1930s, mechanical and clean lines but not so sure about art deco elements :)
  • Shoy333
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really solid modeling! could I ask though how you modeled this wires going into the reactor are they just splines?