Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painting practise - crits please!

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
Figured i should start my own thread to help progress my texture painting.
Lets skip the crap and get to the textures..
Bobo's SDK for those who don't know (probably impossible not to).
First attempt (Dont have stills for these ones soz)
boboheadtt.gif

Maph then suggested to add more contrast in the textures, but i didn't quite understand and literally just contrasted it :) so here is the 2nd attempt:

boboheadtt2.gif
This one, although better contrasted had too much black in it and still didn't have much better value ranges...

Maph was kind enough to paint over for me:
(taken from another thread, moving my shit here to not clog it up)

"gilesruscoe: Making the cracks darker doesn't really solve anything, what you need to do for this sort of stuff is add a light influence, even if it's minor and just define your general forms better. I'm not talking about the individual stones here, but stuff like the eye sockets and how they cast shadows, zygomatic, etc...
Also, try to avoid pure black all together, nothing in real life (except for black holes) is entirely black. Go for deep semi-saturated dark colors instead.
Also, design wise, just try first with larger more stylized piece of rock and a few well placed magma lines.
What you really need to do at some point (and I've noticed this with your other low poly stuff too) is occasionally add a black and white adjustment layer over your work. And just see that the values are correct.
As long as you're not working with strong hue contrasts, value contrast is without a doubt the most important part of a good low poly texture or painting in general.
If you don't mind, I made a shitty paintover to show you what I mean. The top is yours with just a b&w adjustment layer on top of it, under that is what I did. Didn't have a lot of time, so again; forgive me for the shittyness of the paintover.
gilesruscoe_oBobo_paintover.jpg

And something you need to do often, is squinting your eyes and looking at your work! If you can see the general forms you're all good; if it's a mess, it's not good. :)"

Following his advice, here's where i'm at with the texture now:
bobohead3.jpg

bobotexture3.jpg

Will be posting other stuff here, not just SDK's!

Replies

• Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Wow nice take on this model, man! I think the rocks may be too busy, if you make them bigger you can define the face shapes a lot better and more readable.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Nice model! I think you need to add a shaded layer to make the overall form more obvious. See this; http://www.paulcarneyarts.com/shading.html
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alberto Thanks! I like it wold be a good idea to increase the rock sizes too, maybe use rocks to show the facial planes? like one/two rocks for the chin, one on the cheek etc...
    Something like this:
    face%20planes.jpg

@Goraaz, Are you talking about doing that to the model as a whole, or for each indivisual rock? Cheers :)

Edit:
    Think i got what Goraaz was getting at, heres an update:
    bobohead4.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Double post... tragic

Here's an update with the larger rocks, let me know if its a step in the right direction guys:)
    boboheads.jpg
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Actually what I was thinking was that you should have an overall shading over the head. As you can see in the ball drawing I linked, the back is dark and the upper-front is bright. You should use the same technique for your head but use the face as a focal point. You want the face to be the point where you want the the viewer's attention so having the face brighter and the back darker would be effective. Not too dark at the back though, even though there is a key-light coming from top-front(the sun) the back is also lit by the sky. So you shouldn't paint the rocks individually but paint a gradient over the rocks you already have.
    I hope this clears things up.
    step_5.gif
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Take a look at polycount member Shotgun's portfolio. These will steer you in the right direction. Study. Do you see how he defines the forms without losing detail?
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea i saw the lighting examples, although i'm unsure how i'd go about doing that? If i go any darker, there will be pure black in the texture, and if i go any lighter, there won't be enough tonal variation to make the glowing lava parts stand out...

I overlayed a white gradient starting at the face which faded to dark blue, and then erased certain parts of this to give a light direction to the texture, which is pretty much whats going on with the ball drawing example... The head also has Lava strips across it, which are light sources themselves *confused*
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is difficult to explain quickly.

The only short answer is: Learn to paint. Hide the layers that you have, for now, start a new layer, and with only two or three tones, lay out the shapes and major forms of your texture. THEN start working form there to knock the detail and texture within those tones. Your light areas should never get as dark as your midtone areas, your midtones should never get as dark as your darks.

In many ways you're overthinking it. The lava on the head is not going to be casting a meaningful amount of light onto the rest of the surface because it's all located in crevices. Light doesn't pass through rocks :p
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Something I learned from studying Mr.SlipGateCentral, is to paint lighting front to back with a specular from an upper angle.

DeathKnights-3D-3D-mini3d-DeathKnights-3D-38-img_ea978e155.jpg

It helps to accent the characters, and give more overall volume to the lighting.

And just for the sake tonal variances, try putting some blue/teal values in the rocks, not just a simple monochromatic black greyscale.

Take the pencil tool... put it at 5-10% opacity, and just make a few strokes where the lighting terminator line would be on each individual rock.

01-intro-01-300x225.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I missed your first post while writing my last post, sorry.
    Shotguns been in my inspiration folder for a long time, he's got some stunning work.
    I do, indeed, see how he does it, big forms/light sources first, detail later with all the intricacies etc. But knowing how something's done is only the tip of the iceberg.

"Learn to paint", thats what i'm doing, but miracles don't happen overnight, if anything, this thread is helping towards that goal :)
    On laptop now, but when i'm back on my PC i'll have another crack at the lighting.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Missed another post while typing, i've got a knack for that...

@ JacqueChoi, thanks for the post, Slipgates textures too, are very great, the "front to back" thing will help... does that mean i should be painting specular at an angle on the rocks at the side of his head?
    I did orginally have some greens and blues in there, but they've been lost through all the repaints, i'll chuck some back in with the next repaint too. thanks.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Missed another post while typing, i've got a knack for that...

@ JacqueChoi, thanks for the post, Slipgates textures too, are very great, the "back to front" thing will help... does that mean i should be painting specular at an angle on the rocks at the side of his head?
    I did orginally have some greens and blues in there, but they've been lost through all the repaints, i'll chuck some back in with the next repaint too. thanks.

Specular on the planes that are directly exposed to light only. EVERYTHING you see is a reflection -- specular is just the brightest of the reflections. In direct light you get the most information, including little textural highlights. As the surface recedes to shadow, you get less information.

You are not going to have a hard time conveying the surface texture, at all, so don't worry about it. Your rok looks like rock, your lava looks like lava, it looks good! So wipe that away and think about the planes, you can make it again no problem.

25ipwsw.jpg

Did this to try and articulate what i was saying before. Obviously it's not very polished, the forms are blobby and large, you'll be able to do much better, but hopefully it communicates the idea. See how i convey lights and darks without resorting to extreme white or blacks?

Forms come first, details are their (very obedient) children.

btw, i wasnt trying to be a dick when i said 'learn to paint', i just mean that a lot of this stuff doesn't have simple fixes where you can just read a tutorial and nail it -- it's all in the basic, fundamental decisions about colors and tones.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This makes things SO MUCH clearer, thanks so much for taking the time to make a paint over.
    So, i shouldn't paint the texture as indvisual rocks, i should paint planes of the forms first, then add rock cracks... go over again with additional shadowing for the rocks, and then add the finer details in the lighter part of the texture?
    thanks again, some awesome advice here.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Some great tips by both Suprore and Jacquechoi. Suprore is right, you should just hide all your current details and see if you can paint the overall shading on the model. Make sure you don't paint the back too dark or the front too bright because that might kill some details. I made a quick paintover for you(didn't see suprore's paintover.. sorry!), hope that's ok;
    paintover.gif

As you can see I've brightened up the front a little bit and increased the saturation. Further back of the head is darker with less saturation. The gif export killed some details or it was just me being sloppy.. Try keep the details if you can
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, workflow wise, i won't tell you what order to paint it in, but you definitely need to conceptualize it as something other than individual rocks. It's not just a pile of random rocks, it has a unified form, and if you don't go to great length to communicate that to the viewer it's not going to have any sense of mass or shape.

The real takeway here is to be consistent. Establish forms with strict rules (downward facing surfaces are always this much darker than upward surfaces, wet surfaces get this bright under the light, reflections are this strong, etc) and stick to them! It's actually imo the most exciting thing about painting, just playing around with what you've got after you've laid down the foundation.

obv what i linked here wouldn't work in the case of a texture for a 3d model (except maybe the hole on the forehead, i think that would probably look just fine) but painting in 3d space lets me communicate it a lot more dramatically.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    btw, i wasnt trying to be a dick when i said 'learn to paint'

It didn't come across as that at all, it's a phrase which is thrown around a lot.
    PC isn't at my house, so pics will have to wait till tomoz :p
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    nvm post. paintover sucked.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, starting again with the crits i've gotten, getting the basics down first, and then i'll paint in rocks later:
    boboheadagain.jpg
    bobovalues.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Further Progress:
    boboheadsprogress.jpg

Edit:
    boboheadsprogress2.jpg
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Excellent progress man! But try to define the shapes just a little bit more. Also, the lighting underneath his chin makes little sense imho.(see shitty paintover)

gilesruscoe_oBobo_paintover02.jpg

Keep going man!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Maph, thanks alot!
    Heres the lastest with further lighting and detail changes, thanks for the paint over (that little light source with arrows was very helpful)
    boboheadnew.jpg
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Newer version:
    boboheadslatest.jpg
    My brains completely dried up on this one now, not sure how else to push it.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Looking good! Although I think that the back of the head could use a few more micro-details like the you have on the front, both in terms of the stone and the lava. Also, it looks like he has a little ^_^ smiley in the midle-stone that's right next to the eyebrows. I would maybe also considering making the nostril more eclipse shaped then circle shaped to indicate perspective, at the moment it looks like they are more two round holes going directly into his head, while the shapes above them indicates a more human shaped nose.

Keep on working, you're doing great!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Zpanzer,
    I totaly see the ^_^ Haha, nice spot :p looks like a little alien head.. i'll take it out lol

Yea the back of the head is very *meh* looking at it now, will give it some love.
    With the nostrils i was considering changing them to thin slits more to the side of the head, will see how things look..

Cheers!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hey, it's coming on really well! for my eyes, what I'd like to see is a little darker dark shadows, and then some subtle underlighting from a lower light source (not sure what colour I'd pick.. maybe a cool blue, or orange as long as it doesn't confuse the lava rendering. keep it up!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rooster, you sneaked in while i was replying, keeps happening!

I've been imagining this head on some bulky golem type creature, so im not sure how much lighting from beneth would get through in that senario, maybe just some edges getting hit with a light blue could look cool, i'll have a little play around with it and see if i can get anything nice lookin'.
    I think some heavier shadows are needed in a few places, but i don't want it turning out too dark like previous attempts :P
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Also don't forget that your lava is going to have light of its own. Adding some falloff from the lava will also help it to pop more. Your lighting is still too tentative, be bold, do it on a seperate layer and really ramp up the lighting and shadows, mess with it untill it has the visual appeal you are looking for.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bobolighting.jpg

1, Roosters underlit suggestion
    2, update without under light
    3, Wacked up lighting a bit as suggested by Xaltar
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    i like it! could push the curves around to make it a bit darker, more rich.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really good! Very good progress, you are clearly taking the time to fully understand and apply the crits you're getting.

I like 1/2 better than 3, i think just adding in more brights gives you a plasticy, rubbery look. Stick to your guns on materials -- stone only reflects so much light, if you want more contrast you'll find it in darkening your shadow tone.
    As for the underlight: It needs to follow planes too, just like the toplight! Don't cheap out and just blob it into there with a soft brush, think about what surfaces will be hit by light and paint it on them only! Some of your 'front' facing forms have the underlight on them in this latest post and it weakens the sense of mass. And don't let it get too soft and blobby, it will give your stone a plasticy look -- again, same rules as the top-lit stone. Think in terms of light and shadow, just in this case 'shadow' is where the blue light isn't hitting.

But seriuously, very good progress!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks SupRore and Dan!
    I too feel that 3 looked a little washed out, i also think the under lighting adds interest, so i guess i'll push forward with the first variation.
    "Don't cheap out and just blob it into there"....BUSTED! thought i'd get away with that too ;) Will tighten stuff up tommorrow, think i will remove all the blue from the face and just have it in the darker areas at the side and back.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can, do a degree, still cheap out and soft brush it, but get in there with an eraser and slice it all away from the places it shouldn't be seeping into
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, tighter fall off with the blue light, actually follows the shapes of the rocks now, also added a bit more lighting from the thicker lava parts:
    boboheadsprogress3.jpg

Looking to move onto a different model now i think.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started having a go with Slaughts character SDK this time, i will still add changes to the previous one if anyone has some more crits...

Still very early stages, lots of mess :D
    slaught%20SDK%20one.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    This is amazing, can I ask what you did to get the texture in the middle of the stones? Where its bare but still has texture like that mid stone above his forehead? I always wonder how to achieve that effect
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I used just the standard photoshop hard and soft brush (the first two in the default list). Just did broad strokes to start with then 2px/1px brush to add in some speckling effect
    heres the flat texture if you want to take a better look, im bad at explaining things:
    texture.png
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, and one more thing, did you paint it zoomed in, and did you paint it at that res?
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two views of same file open, one at 100% and other Zoomed, probably 200 or 300% size so you can check overall detail on one and paint tiny parts easily on the other!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0o how do you do 2 views?
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Like this:
    newwindow.jpg

Didn't know that, cool!

As for the new head you're working on:

I think his lips are looking a bit too feminine, I think the shape could be a bit more squashed and maybe make the highlights less prominent. He also lacks eyebrows, but I guess you're comming to that :) Maybe some beard stubbles would add to it, at the moment his skin looks like something coming out from a beauty model, you might want to rough him a bit up
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updateeeee
    blocked in some colours... nothin special
    colourblockin.jpg

Face is still very ...derp. The light source is messed up too, but i've decided to have little glowing lights around the edge of his suit to provide some underlighting anyway, so it's going to be changed around alot anyway.
    Also hate the wires at the back, those will change.
    face2.jpg

Zpanzer, agree with lips/skin, i'm going to be giving him a stubble once i get the rest of the skin tones down and looking nice, also some extra wrinkles here and there (mainly around eyes/neck)
    Lips are crap though, will fix.

Edit:
    something like this, bad paint over:
    paintover.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    had some time at lunch so I made you a paintover.

I think you could integrate the lava into your guy more successfully, a lot of it is too hot and feels like it is on top of the rocks

i tried to make it a bit more subtle, cooled it down a little and increased the influence of the color on the rocks around it. tried to make the lava look like it was in the cracks between the rocks.

before
    texture.png

after
    LavaDudePaintover.jpg

ugh. dropbox is destroying the image quality. but you can see what i'm talking about
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs, thanks alot! Some very nice idea's in there.
    Here's an update:
    boboheadsfinalmaybe.jpg

Getting so much great feedback in this thread, it's amazing!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Looking pretty good, huge improvement from the first post.

Just goes to show we can all learn more, I always thought your low poly stuff looked pretty good.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey I was trying to paint my own rock dude earlier, and I couldn't figure out if I should do the lava lines first or the rocks first?
  • paradise.engineering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paradise.engineering polycounter lvl 11
    frell wrote: »
    Hey I was trying to paint my own rock dude earlier, and I couldn't figure out if I should do the lava lines first or the rocks first?

i don't think that really counts as long as you use different layers
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It shouldn't really matter what order you do it in. I would personally go rocks first, nail down the material and the shadows before you start throwing around extra light sources.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just started doing everything at once :) seemed to work ok haha, i don't think it matters though, just down to what you like doing i guess.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another small update, not really into this model as much as the lava head, the design i've gone for is kinda boring i feel :/ Might be better to do my own model instead of another sdk.
    still just adding in random crap to the body work, havnt actually detailed anything yet, so just ignore it for now.

prog2.jpg