Home General Discussion

The Doom of Our Sci-Fi

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys! :)

So I've been doing some research for a new environment. Something Sci-fi something new and completely different from my current project. And, as i research I keep running into the same form (Actually, more or less the same style) of concepts. You know... the usual suspect; when it comes to Sci-fi Concepts: the seams, the pipes, the bolts, the panels, the plates, The gray, the neon, the digital screen... it gets super redundant quick looking thru them in google images.

I think this is more apparent to me cause of this last project i worked on, i was researching a lot of Art Deco and Deco consists of certain flows of geometrical shapes. The style stands out for its own. But, When I look at the concepts of the sci-fi results... It usually consists of this look that resembles a clunky computer. It's as if interior designers or architects don't exist. And I'm not saying that all sci-fi suffers from this just the majority.

The minority are the group that's still copied to this day. Something like Blade Runner comes to mind. The look of Blade Runner has "History" to it, it's stuck in a point in time all on it's own. And this concerns me, 'cause I want to see that 'next' Blade Runner type of film that inspires us all, but not to just copy it. But to create something that will stand as a classic. And the patterns that i see on google don't really encourage that.

So, This is why i brought this thought here, I'm really curious to see what you guys think of this? Am i just over thinking this? Am i looking in the wrong area?

Replies

• PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    I have to agree. I have an entire Sci-Fi reference folder on my comp that is full of doom/quake look-alikes. There's a few diamonds in the rough here and there that really standout as clean and have that design niche to them but the majority of concepts are clunky and industrial. Personally I like the molding of steam-punk with futuristic styles but meh that's another topic altogether.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    These are just trends, people hammer ideas that are proven to work and the dark grates n plates pipe networks from Aliens work really well. In much the same way that if you want to make a fantasy design that appeals to a broad audience you can just hammer the LOTR style.

Check out Syd Meads non-aliens/bladerunner work if you want a huge range of bright interesting scifi designs.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Well, I always chalked it up to a lot of sci fi being an extension of existing tech (at least as far as film and games are concerned)) rather than a reinvention of paradigms.
    We accept that the ship is in space because it's insides look a lot like the belly of a ship (Or submarine). We accept that this is the super advanced space computer because, well... It LOOKS like the super advanced space computer.
    All those things (the seams, the pipes, the bolts, the panels, the plates, The gray, the neon, the digital screen) help connect the audience to what their viewing.
    TL/DR- Sci-fi environments can only go as far as the audience is willing to accept. Fresh Unique Sci-fi = Willing and accepting audience
    Now, books? That's some trippy ass scifi. We need some games and films that tackle stuff like organic starships more...
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    To me it started as a limit of production budget, and set construction than anything, and then it became a trope.

Scrap pipes and grungy metal from a junkyard are cheaper than custom machined paneling. Grunge is easier to maintain a consistent look over months of shooting than chrome.. that sorta thing.

But yeah there are a range of styles out there. Just keep looking, or invent your own. :)
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    How about taking a look at modern architecture sites, building a small collection of reference pictures and then mash them together with other concepts adding your own ideas to the mix? That's what I usually do when working on my sci-fi shit.

If you are looking for something dirtier looking, I'd say build a collection of really weird industrial structures and base your work from that. Maybe it's time to forget about your concept art folder for a while.

If you disagree with how people generally do stuff then experiment with your own ideas and prove the world is wrong :)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Googling 'scifi' is going to get you derivative cookie cutter scifi, because anything with real personality has a better name to go by.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    I always appreciated the final fantasy 13 approach, organic shapes and clean lines.
  • Sandro
  • ZacD
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Our sci-fi isn't "Doomed", as much as it's "Aliened" The Aliens franchise was a defining visual landmark in my opinion. Both the hard human tech and the organic aliens have left a permanent imprint on sci-fi to the point that 30 years later you can still see the same formula in slightly altered form.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    The art director (I think) was having this sort of discussion on the design choices of Dead Space 2. Lemme see if I can dig it up...

Ah, here it is:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTNdgQn7KnI[/ame]

The main points he brought up were about familiarity, similar to what Hobo mentioned.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    "2001: a space odyssey" did it well and unique. A bit like Mirror's Edge in space.
    2001SpaceOdyssey025.jpg
    tn2_2001_a_space_odyssey_4.jpg
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Doom3 still makes my insides wet every time I look at it man.

EPrfC.jpg

But sci-fi is like women, unless there's a penis on it, we love it all!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Sci-fi is like other mentioned before, an extension of what we have already - if it extends too far, it kind of becomes fantasy. Clarke's third law sums that up kind of nicely.

If you do want to go with a somewhat different look though, perhaps look to older sci-fi and in the direction of old sci-fi and "retro-futurism"? People's impressions of the future have evolved along with the way technology has evolved.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    [HP] wrote: »
    Doom3 still makes my insides wet every time I look at it man.

Still such a normalmap heaven! And I love doom3 for it :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, there is some really great points and funny ass points here. :)

MrHobo wrote: »
    Well, I always chalked it up to a lot of sci fi being an extension of existing tech (at least as far as film and games are concerned)) rather than a reinvention of paradigms.
    We accept that the ship is in space because it's insides look a lot like the belly of a ship (Or submarine). We accept that this is the super advanced space computer because, well... It LOOKS like the super advanced space computer.
    All those things (the seams, the pipes, the bolts, the panels, the plates, The gray, the neon, the digital screen) help connect the audience to what their viewing.
    TL/DR- Sci-fi environments can only go as far as the audience is willing to accept. Fresh Unique Sci-fi = Willing and accepting audience
    Now, books? That's some trippy ass scifi. We need some games and films that tackle stuff like organic starships more...

I do want to try and read more sci-fi books, Dune is something i've always wanted to read, and actually the movie had some great designs. I do agree that from the seams to the digital screens, it all helps to sell the a idea of a huge space ship. But when they do it some where else is just weird.

Minotaur0 wrote: »
    How about taking a look at modern architecture sites, building a small collection of reference pictures and then mash them together with other concepts adding your own ideas to the mix? That's what I usually do when working on my sci-fi shit.

If you are looking for something dirtier looking, I'd say build a collection of really weird industrial structures and base your work from that. Maybe it's time to forget about your concept art folder for a while.

If you disagree with how people generally do stuff then experiment with your own ideas and prove the world is wrong :)

This is a good idea, I think i want more organic and more "back story" to the style. I'll def keep this in mind.

[HP] wrote: »

LOL. :) I'll complain as much as i want but i'll still play the hell out of these games, i'm currently drudging thru dead space 2 and loving the style.
    dfacto wrote: »
    Our sci-fi isn't "Doomed", as much as it's "Aliened" The Aliens franchise was a defining visual landmark in my opinion. Both the hard human tech and the organic aliens have left a permanent imprint on sci-fi to the point that 30 years later you can still see the same formula in slightly altered form.

Exactly dude but we just won't let it die respectively...

I think one of the most enjoyable sci-fi games i've ever played has to be Fallout 3, i mean the atmosphere, the creatures, the world. It was like 1950's cheesy sci-fi and they pulled it off so well. I think this is what bothers me for most games when they hear 'sci-fi' they think tech right away.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i find SciFi book cover illustrations a good starting point for scifi esthetics...they often have more originality than film and other media as they are not as risky and can be more abstract

quick five minute trawl found me this

andthis
    Leviathan-Wakes-book-cover.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bring back the white (insane asylum) padding/paneling and random stenciled numbers?
    Alien3.jpg

4998d31969b30-1.jpg

2001.jpg

Or maybe the trippy vertigo educing hallways?
    corridor2001_01.jpg

Sci+Fi+corridor+papercraft.jpg

Moon did a good job of resurrecting the look:
    Sam-Rockwell-in-Moon-2009-001.jpg

Still horribly cliche but at least its not bare metal with hoses and pipes all over.
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    I think its an interesting idea to suggest that Alien was what began to create the image of scifi being dirty, heavy and 'bolty', but wasnt Alien and Aliens all set in Industrial plants and ships? If you were to look at the beginning of Aliens the interior of the space station has smooth shapes, and relies heavily on white space to convey the idea of futurism.
    If you take a look at 40's/50's concepts of the millennium then I think you'll find a lot of seamless round shapes that rely heavily on whitespace and glass to abstract itself from the current architecture.
    I always found the architecture from Star Wars (fml) to break the 'alien' trend, perhaps because a lot of the environments were commercial or residential -

http://img.neoseeker.com/v_concept_art.php?caid=6649
    http://img.neoseeker.com/v_concept_art.php?caid=7802
    http://img.neoseeker.com/v_concept_art.php?caid=14415
    http://img.neoseeker.com/v_concept_art.php?caid=20007

I think really your best combining some really odd architecture (such as viking structures or any other pre victorian civilizations) and combining it with scifi features if you really want to do something original.
    Ofcourse I'm just talking about environment architecture, not so much spaceships, I don't really know where to start there..
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    What more can you do with four walls and a floor though?

I know you can do alot but.

If you clutter up the environment have the walls inside out etc. It makes it look less fake. Your looking through a tiny screen onto blurry textures, everything looks flat, even the normals you can notice that they are just fake. Maybe games dont have the resolution or the detail yet to make simple walls look interesting.
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    You still playing Doom 1 dude? :\
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Calabi wrote: »

If you clutter up the environment have the walls inside out etc. It makes it look less fake. Your looking through a tiny screen onto blurry textures, everything looks flat, even the normals you can notice that they are just fake. Maybe games dont have the resolution or the detail yet to make simple walls look interesting.

lolque.jpg
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    myles wrote: »
    I think its an interesting idea to suggest that Alien was what began to create the image of scifi being dirty, heavy and 'bolty', but wasnt Alien and Aliens all set in Industrial plants and ships? If you were to look at the beginning of Aliens the interior of the space station has smooth shapes, and relies heavily on white space to convey the idea of futurism.

Both alien and aliens.

They always depicted the clean and hospital-like civillian areas of ships or stations, like the hospital, the living areas of the nostromo, or the science areas of the colony.

And then they had the gritty shitty areas too, like the underbelly of the nostromo and its dirtier areas, and the standard corridors of the colony.

The sulaco was also quite different from it all, since it was a more cleaner look than the colony, but still military and rougher than the hospital.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi wrote: »

Wait... WHat>?!
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    It was just a thought!

Ok, I'll get me coat.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not that unique sci-fi doesn't exist, it's that companies are too chickenshit to take a chance. What recent sci-fi film/game actually made you go, "whoa, what?" based on visual design alone? I'm hard pressed to think of anything notable within the last decade that broke any mold at all. Ghibli always managed to bring something fresh to the table, and Miyazaki's Nausicaa comic is still a major standout in sci-fi. There are other works that show flashes of ingenuity, but other than that, it's almost universally white corridors/industrial dungeons with spess muhreens in them.

This isn't from lack of imagination, almost every decent artist on this or any board can and has drawn some freaky awesome shit, but that never gets into production. It's in the selection that things go from awesome to boring. I don't have heavy experience in professional art, but even in my brief forays I've noticed that the blander designs are chosen for development, and the unique ones are rejected. Good, safe choices? Yes. Going to rock anyone's face? Unlikely.

So in conclusion, blame the art director. ;P
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    how about the ceiling ?, put it much higher :)! it wont change the gameplay or collision, it will dramatically change our perception of sci-fi game corridors
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    dfacto wrote: »
    Ghibli always managed to bring something fresh to the table, and Miyazaki's Nausicaa comic is still a major standout in sci-fi.

I'm not trying to be cantakerous, but I'd argue that things like Nausicaa fall way over the blurred lines and into the realm of fantasy than science fiction; largely because there is indeed no 'fictional science' within it. Science fiction is more about rationally feasible speculative developments scientifically; whereas something like Nausicaa is a fanciful setting that pays little to no regard to postulated science.

Personally, I feel a lot of the best sci-fi is the work that doesn't feel 'sci-fi' at all; instead it feels very familiar instead of ultra-futuristic and alien.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a mix of fantastical sci-fi and fantasy which to me is the best kind, as it blends the technology which makes sci-fi so exciting, but taken to visual and material extremes, and the fantasy mood which speaks to the soul.

Star Wars isn't very far off really. Technology mixed with mysticism.
  • sebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
    What I like the most about Sci-Fi is that you can be highly creative...
    1. The Future: Can you imagine our world in 10 years, or in 100 years, or 1.000 years... 1.000.000 years?
    2. Alternative History: Dare you to imagine the past, present or future (or the mix of them) with some twist in science?
    3. The Unknown: Imagine a 'technology' from other worlds, or even other universes or dimensions.
    As you see the possibilities are endless, just go crazy with science or make some research of what the end-of-sight of science is nowadays.

Hope this inspires you!