Home General Discussion

To Wales!

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
found out yesterday i'm off to Swansea to study "Creative Game Art". School has never really been my thing, always got in trouble/didn't enjoy it, but hopefully it's a different ball game when you are doing something you love. I wasn't too sure at first, but seeming as prices here in the Uk for university courses are going up more than triple (in some cases) next year, i'd rather go now. I know lots of people say its not needed, and that you can learn all you need here on polycount, which is true, but surrounding myself with like-minded folk for 3 years will surely have its benefits.... i hope :)

Anybody from Swansea/south wales area? Anything i should know? I called up the uni today and could barely understand the accent the woman spoke in... so i guess thats not the best of starts haha!

Replies

• achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    good luck with your studies mate!
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    I went to the University of Glamorgan and did computer animation (it was near Pontypridd when I went, now the building is in Cardiff). I've lived in Cardiff for quite a few years and visited Swansea a number of times. Cardiff is great, but I have to admit Swansea is a bit of a dive. But in a way you make it what it is. And it sounds like a cool course. There are a few decent bars and student scene in Swansea.
    I know people who did games design courses in Newport, and I would rather be in Swansea than Newport I suppose.

If you have a car then South Wales can be pretty cool for the outdoors, the beach and the like.

Best to get in there before tuition fees rise as you said. I expect it will be quite a few years before teaching standards rise (if they rise at all) to reflect the higher fees.

University is a GREAT opportunity to expand your portfolio, make contacts and friends while having loads of fun. I recommend it.
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I'm so jealous! I spent 2 weeks in Wales a few years back. I'm absolutely in love with that land. Be sure to enjoy the perfectly clear view of the Milky Way at night time. So gorgeous.

Two words: Welsh. Smooth... Become friends with this beverage, for it is perfect.

Good luck in your studies!