Home Technical Talk

Hello, stupid Max - Bevel/Extrude Dialog

martynball
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
martynball polycounter lvl 10
Hey, is there a way to change the dialog where you adjust the values back to the good old box style, instead of the new way where is it shown in the viewport.

The reason I ask is because I prefer it, and the new way has broken on me and I lack the motivation to fix it as I don't like it, I can only seem to use the top slider, when click the "Tick" or try and adjust a second slider, the top one still only adjusts.

If that makes sense as I suck at explaining things.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What version of max are you using? Technically it doesn't matter because there is no way to change the caddy system back to the old system. Autodesk has said numerous times that they will tweak the caddy system in future releases but the old system caused too many problems and limited too much behind the scenes. I think the last version that had the old system was 2009 and quite a few people really like that version although it is starting to show its age.

I ask what version of max because when they first rolled them out (in 2010 I think?) they behaved oddly, would pop up in bad places and in general were super annoying, they made a really bad impression. That got a little better in 2011, and in 2012 they changed them again to always pop up where you last positioned them, which makes them pretty much just like the old system but with new looks and all of the back end functionality they need to move forward.

Aside from parts of the caddies being broken and unresponsive is there something else you don't like about them?

As for the brokeness, that shouldn't happen. Have you installed any scripts or monkied with max? Is it broken on multiple versions or just the one you are currently using?

You should check for any hotfixes, updates and service packs for your version whatever it is and make sure its all up-to-date. If that doesn't work I'd uninstall, clear out all of the remaining 3dsmax folders and reinstall. Don't forget to check in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Autodesk because a lot of user preferences and scripts end up there also.
  • martynball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using Max 2012, and dammit. Im not much for the caddy system at all, although it is much better in this version. I used it in Max 2011/2010 and it was rather bad.

I havn't loaded Max for like 5 months and I have no scripts installed. So it's a weird issue as it was not there the last time I used it. I will reinstall it like you said and see if it works.

Thanks for the information, that has helped :)
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    2010 didn´t have the caddy system btw. it started with 2011 and their XBR stuff.
    If you have a tablet you could try to disable the tablet pc related services of windows they tend to bring forth unresponsiveness in different 3D programs.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made this same thread a few months back, apparently the only way is to paste the core related files back over the new ones :/
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Why do people hate caddies? change is bad?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Part of it is probably change, part of it is probably the way they where implemented at first it left a bad taste in a lot of people mouths. They popped up over the top of whatever you had selected, requiring you to move them if you wanted to see the changes before applying or closing the caddy. At one point they even moved around the screen if you rotated or moved the viewport.

It was a guessing game where they would pop up when you called them...
    Call a caddy.
    Find it on the screen, normally in a bad spot.
    Move it.
    Adjust the viewport, have the caddy move around the screen to another bad place.
    Move it back out of the way again and tweak the settings.

Not exactly a quick way to work.

Now if you dock it all the way to the right, the header on "apply and continue" shifts the caddy to the left as you mouse from OK to Cancel. You either have to dock it back a little bit or weave the mouse under the "Apply and Continue" button. "Apply & Continue" would fit just fine and not cause this issue.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Did they try and occupy a position in 3D space? Because when you moved the viewport it would fly about like crazy. It was like a vert you had moved really close to your view.

They're nice now though. :)
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    I made this same thread a few months back, apparently the only way is to paste the core related files back over the new ones :/

If you do that you can´t use the new features anymore, not the best way to fix it.
  • martynball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed the problem, just to clarify for future reference, I reinstalled which fixed this issue. :) Thanks guys
  • Delerium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    Try them. If you value your efficiency you'll immediately see that they're very poorly designed.

Agree, everytime that caddy pops up my pulse starts to beat faster. Hate it :poly127:
  • RappyBMX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First of all they are really really really slow :|

made my own chamfer dialog though... also added some new features to it :D

RappaTools3_ChamferOp.png
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    I felt too stupid starting a new thread just with this question but as it's slightly related I'm going to ask here;

How do I change the step increments for these tools when you just click and drag and can I change it in a way that's relative to the size of the element I'm using it on.
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks Perster. I've got a weeks holiday now so can't actually try it until I'm back at work but didn't want to leave you feeling neglected.