Home General Discussion

What to do after college - going indie?

Hey guys i'm about a year away from finishing my bachelors in Digital Entertainment and Game Design at ITT Technical Institute with 11 months in QA

basically speaking, i'm not happy with what the norm future has in store for me in the industry.:poly127:

SO to the point, maybe a year or 2 ago it wasn't possible but nowadays it seems perfectly feasible to start developing apps in or out of college. The start up costs are so low it seems almost ridiculous.

unity free + android = $400
lawyer (to set up llc) ~ $700
modeling apps = free
droid emulator = free

so for about $1100 dollars theoretically you could develop android apps using unity.:poly121:

as for income i plan to sell the apps free and benefit from admob and mobclix which are both open source and do not require money down or a purchase.

now because of my degree i actually have knowledge in all of the areas from programing to production to character modeling/animation, and i've actually expanded on most of them. if it helps i even already pretty much have a game done.

:poly141:My question to you guys is, what do you think? is it a bad idea to start up an app developing company, or is it the greatest idea you have ever heard? what about as a full-time job?

also i have read a bunch of the articles on indie startup, but mostly they never mention just plain cheap app development.

if you wanna know my capabilities in max, for some reason http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83379

Replies

• skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    There is way more involved that using free/cheap programs and jumping in. The plan as you have it right now won't lead to good things. You can't do it with the list of programs you have. period. Starting up an indie studio takes money, time, and experience. Especially if your jumping into it full-time and want it to succeed.

Honestly, I'd recommend you get some actual studio experience while working on indie games in your spare time, and after a few years if you want to go indie full-time go for it.

Either way, good luck!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    why not start free?
    Grab Eclipse and LibGDX or AndEngine and write some simple games. no need to bring unity and the complexity of 3d into the equation until you know your serious and can deliver.

also if your writing games a handset is pretty essential. you cant do multitouch on the android emulator. and its pretty slow. if you want to provide on screen 'joypads' you'll need to be able to test em on a device.

on that subject a nice thing about libgdx is its a wrapper for both windows and android so your code will run transparently on both platforms with no modification (with the exception of the base application class which you do once and forget about.) so you can do your testing on windows for anything other than multitouch input and skip the emu.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea, getting some in studio experience would be good. You will probably get better time management skills as well as learn a ton of stuff that would be beneficial when doing your own thing. I learned more stuff as an artist once I was actually in the industry than I would ever have on my own.

Its good to see how a larger scale production functions and then apply those things to your efforts. Things like some type of source control software like perforce, seeing how things are scheduled, implemented and tested as well as picking up the reasons why design decisions are being made.

I would probably say get 3-5 years experience in actual production before considering doing your own thing, or like skylebones said, start doing some on the side at home. the initial cost is low but you have to consider the cost of your time for development, if you are going to focus on it fulltime how are you going to pay rent, loans etc. By working professionally for a few years it should also help you get some startup capital for your 1st project.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I agree studio experience is probably going to be pretty valuable, you'll learn pitfalls to avoid and probably fall into plenty of them too along the way. Seeing how a bigger company does things could give you a good added perspective when you're trying to figure out things on your own.

that said, I also think if you can survive that long as an indie then you'll have learned a ton that way too, but the risk is you fall into one of those pitfalls and it scuppers you. Maybe doing a bit of learning at someone elses risk is a good way to start
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think you should create a game, try and make money, and if it doesn't quite work out, then you'll have a game on your resume and will be well positioned to get a job with the myriad of mobile and facebook game developers out there that are currently hiring.

What you'll need beyond what you wrote:
    a lot of living expenses for a while.
    Some form of marketing for your game if you actually want to make money.

I think if you go into this, you should just keep in mind that your first game probably won't be profitable. That's not to say it won't lead to very profitable ventures though.
  • Rico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just out of curiosity, where is the ITT at?

Edit: Oh yeah, I also recommend studio experience and work on your game on your free time.

The revenue that you'll get from ads isn't as much as you think. You'll have to hit it big with it to get a decent revenue just off of ads.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Why start a company? I cant see any benefit in legally owning a company, unless some digital distribution requires it (I think steam and xbla does) but that can be done when it comes up. Dont expect to attract other developers to help with your project. It probably wont happen, and if it does it probably wont last long without giving them a salary. You say you are an artist and programmer which is great, I would say that is the first thing you need to make happen.

I dont think making mobile games is a good idea. Everyone is doing it and all the markets are flooded. The chances of a really good game getting recognized is very low, unless you have a large marketing budget or maybe some smart viral "marketing".

I think making interesting and innovative PC games (things that people will blog about or get on Kotaku) and trying to get them on steam is a better goal to shoot for. Even if you cant get your first games on steam you can still distribute them independently, and marketing to people who play indie games is pretty much free. IndieDB is a surprisingly good way of building a fan/user base and initial marketing.

I kinda agree with skylebones, Get a stable job and work on indie stuff in your free time before trying to make a living making indie games.
  • Silix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys for the quick replies

my side of view:

skylebones: technically speaking i have 5 years of experience, 1 of which is in-studio. but i'm curious as to what you mean by not being able to do it with free/cheap programs, or more precisely why i can't?

r_fletch_r: i've never heard of those engines tbh, i like unity because it's cheap, easy, and you can pump out a game in a month if you have to. i am also more familiar with object-oriented programming

PixelMasher: your right in-studio experience is amazing, i learned more in about 3 weeks than i ever did in school. I may only be QA, but i see everything besides the actual asset creation, we're a small studio. but 3-5 years is that really how much is required to even think about creating games?

aesir: kind of my plan, as i mentioned i do have a game near completion, i plan to sell it free and benefit from admob type stuff, i don't plan to make alot off it. but a little income multiplied by a couple games makes for a hopefully reasonable income.

rico: wisconsin

commander_keen: i was told by someone who had spoken to a lawyer that even to place an app on the market puts you at risk of being sewed and that it was a smart idea to create a llc, which you can do online but i would rather go through a lawyer

i'm getting kind of a mixed idea here though, the general consensus though seems to be experience, but my reply is, does my school years not count toward that, also what about my year as QA, i have learned alot from that especially all about the inner workings of a studio as where i work is smaller.

i think theres a miss understanding also that i'll like be renting space or something. the LLC is to avoid liability just in case, i were to get sued for some random stupid thing.

also i do have friends who own droids one of which may help with development

thanks for all the replies this is very helpful for getting this all figured out and finalized as a yes or no and how best to do it, i'll probably just do it part-time if thats the best way. i just wanna do what i love, make games
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    why droid and not iphone?
  • Silix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no one i know owns an iphone, also i am under the impression that their app store requires a submission process, correct me if i'm wrong. I watched a show about a dude who invested like 4k into an app and it was rejected.

maybe if i can make a pretty penny on app development
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    why droid and not iphone?
    Deployment is instant, and no yearly fee.
  • Rico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Deployment is instant, and no yearly fee.

Really?

Is there any kind of censorship for the apps?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rico wrote: »
    Really?

Is there any kind of censorship for the apps?

Im not entirely sure about how they deal with censorship, but you can deploy what you like.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your schooling probably taught you many useful things, but likely didn't really develop studio experience.

Your QA job, even working there for a year, only gave you a sneak-peak as to how the artists work. You need to work in a studio job as a developer to really learn the ins and outs of the development process.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i'll have to dig up the exact numbers later, but i'm pretty sure it cost much less than $700 when i set up my llc
  • Silix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    i'll have to dig up the exact numbers later, but i'm pretty sure it cost much less than $700 when i set up my llc

hmm that sounds great, did you go through a lawyer? i know you can create one through an online form for pretty much the cost of filing the paperwork.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    filled out the paper work and went to our bank. they had the people on staff to take care of it all.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    does my school years not count toward that, also what about my year as QA

No and not really. School (at least for me..didn't even come close to prepping me, and I've held a QA job for 2 years as well. Even though you get to see what developers are doing, your on the outside looking in. You learn by doing.

I like Unity, and even if you aren't good with code...theres state manager plugins and whatnot to help you get things done visually.

I would say, go for it and have fun...its not like it costs a lot of money, but definitely don't quit your day job. Like most other people said, the mobile market is flooded. Even if your game is very well done, it could come and go and nobody will notice. mobile/indie games that make solid money are very rare.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    if it's for running your own enterprise, you can count anything that teaches you the ropes as experience. Actually I've seen some really cool student projects made in Unity which could just as well have been made by actual hired people in a small studio.

If it's for a job, then we're talking job experience - time spent in the trenches. bootcamp don't count. But if you have a game or mod on your resume that's looking good it COULD definitely help. Although keep in mind that a mod with awesome gameplay but mediocre gfx won't help your gfx artist job application much.

Also before spending cash on a company registration - make a proof of concept of your game and see if you can even do it. Otherwise you're throwing money out of the window.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Along with everyone else I'd say get some studio production experience before you really try to go on your own. You'll make mistakes and learn from other peoples mistakes as well, it's best to do that on someone else's dime for a few years. Also you can continue to work on your own indie stuff during your free time while pulling in a big (hopefully) paycheck from your day job and saving for when (or if) you choose to go full time indie.

Liability issues aside, setting up a company is a good idea because you can market your company rather than individual games. Company recognition should grow with time which makes marketing a game under that name that much easier as you have an existing fan base. However going without a company name means each game's marketing starts from scratch and only affects that game. Provided you make good games your company's reputation will grow.

With that said you shouldn't bother setting up a company until you've got your first game ready for sale.

You could stick with Unity as it's what you know and you'll only get better at it. Though I don't think the Android market is a good one for beginners, from what I've read (the rest of that blog is a good read too) it only brings in about one third of the income as the iphone/ipad market. I'd say start with Flash games which are fairly easy to make and monetize while getting experience actually making games.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I strongly suggest going for iOS and not Android for a number of reasons.

Android is of course free to develop for, has fewer (or non-existent) approval restrictions, and has a larger global market share. However, none of those factors mean you're any more likely to sell anything.

I would estimate that a huge proportion of Android users don't even buy apps. I had a Samsung Galaxy S last year after having two iPhones prior to that. I'd spent a ton on apps on my iOS devices, but didn't buy a single app or game on my Android phone. Earlier this year I switched back to an iPhone 4, and have since bought a bunch more apps. Put simply, there's a hell of a lot of crap on the Android Marketplace, and it just isn't an attractive place to sell your stuff. Sure there's plenty of crap on the App Store too, but the overall quality level is far higher than Android.

What I'm saying is, just because you can develop for Android more easily, cheaply, and in some cases with less waiting time, you may still not sell anything at all.

Add to this the fact that you're developing for a huge range of devices. Do you develop a cutting edge game that only runs on the latest device? You're gonna miss out on the majority of users who still run their year old handset and that 'cutting edge handset' will be outdated by next month. So do you develop for the mass market and their 'average' handsets? I would guess they're the least likely demographic to actually buy the app.

With iOS, you know where you stand. You know that the devices you're testing on are the same hardware, running the same software and it's only going to change once a year or so. Yes the approval process can be slow and strict, but that's with good reason, it helps filter out most of the crap on the App Store. Providing you don't slip a pair of boobs or some hate-infused language, or ripoff an IP in your app, you should be fine.

My suggestion is this. Get a low end Mac and an iPod Touch (you can get an educational discount at the Apple Store if you're still in college). Get some friends/family with iPhones to test for you (surely you know someone... pretty much everyone I know/see on the street here has one). Get an ADC license which is like $99, and develop a small, interface based app (not game) and see how you get on.

Chances are, you'll sell at least a few apps. I know a guy who put together a pretty basic (but pretty) camera based app that basically just adds a couple vintage filters to your photos. He sold it at $1.99 and made just under $40k in about 9 months.

If you do that before you finish college, you'll know how you like it, and know if you want to move upwards and onwards into full on indie development once you graduate.

You could then buy Unity, which runs on Mac, and get the other apps you need (Maya, PhotoShop, etc all run on Mac, or you could dual boot Windows if you want to) and start working on games once you're familiar with the dev cycle and Apple approval process. If you're previous app(s) have been successful, you should have a good reputation and promoting your new releases should be easier.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    TeeJay wrote: »
    I strongly suggest going for iOS and not Android for a number of reasons.

Very good advice. If you do a quick google search you'll say how negative most developers seem to be about the android appstore. It seems that the apple appstore is still much much bigger in terms of revenue.

this article is from february: http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/21/861-5-percent-growth-android-puny/
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    well, I've got 5 years of mod experience, 3 years of college, and 4 years of work experience, I think I might be ready to go indie but I'm not sure :P

If I do, I plan on living off of my savings for at least a year or two.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont know about people not buying apps for android, I personally have bought quite a few. I dont disagree with the rest though, the fragmentation is a pain in the balls.
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    It's also important to note that without Unity Pro you cant get the Pro versions of Unity iPhone or Unity Android.

While you said that you would use the cheap Unity Android, be warned that you'll be missing out on build size stripping, an integrated lightmapping solution and, most importantly, there will be no occlusion culling. Because of this you will need custom scripting (if it can be done at all in scripting) in order to not be rendering your entire scene at all times.

If you plan on creating games where the entire environment (or at least the majority) is on screen at all times anyway (like a puzzle, physics, or tower defense game) then it shouldn't be a big deal. If you intend to create games with larger spaces (3rd person, first person, racing, flying, etc) this could be a big performance hindrance.
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    I would suggest gaining some experience first. Most of the people I know that graduated from college and tried to start an indie company failed miserably and lost a ton of money. Not saying it can't be done but you don't want to end up like these guys:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6507690/hardly-working-start-up-guys