Home General Discussion

Lawyers vs. Rocket Launchers

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/9038258448/hey-bethesda-lets-settle-this

This is pretty cute, though i'm sure not everyone will see it that way considering many think of video games as "serious business". Regardless, I love the message Majong is trying to send, games are supposed to be fun, not bullshit corporate mind games.

Replies

• dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    +1 notch fanboyism.
  • Stinger88
  • eY3lEs5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes! Not to brag, but my Q3A skills are l33t. Mojang has my rocket launcher in this battle!
    Highly doubt it, but if this goes down, I hope they record the fight :)
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    I'd be surprised if a huge company like Bethesda can't field a seriously badass Q3 team.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Notch wasn't very clear on the rules. Is bethesda allowed to field players from iD and other companies they've acquired?
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha thats awesome.

If Bethesda were to take him up on the challenge, I would giggle.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimal situation: Majong wins, re-titles game to "Gibs" anyway.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    My Money is on Bethesda for the Q3 match.

But if it went to court, my money would be on Notch.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Except Zenimax filed the law-suit, not Bethesda. Notch is a twit.
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    Zenimax is creating a paper trail of protecting their trademark. This is a perfectly normal, if unfortunate, legal process blown out of proportion by "BIG CORPORATION vs INDIE" sensationalism.

It would be cool if Bethesda jokingly took Notch up on the challenge, under the pretense that the results wouldn't change anything. (Because they wouldn't)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    Except Zenimax filed the law-suit, not Bethesda. Notch is a twit.

He's not asking to face his accusers, he's referencing game of thrones where the prosecution chooses their champions from their own ranks.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    In no way does this negate that Notch is a twit.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh, maybe a bit. I could see being the indie golden boy and making 30 mil in a year could make someone a twit, but i'll still side with the twit over corporate game maker lawyers any day.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I think this is silly. Notch is really playing up the whole thing, and I'm beginning to find it pretty annoying.

Additionally, whoever thought naming a fantasy based game "Scrolls" was a good idea and wouldn't be met with any type of legal troubles, is really, really thick. Also, someone needs to tell Notch his google search skills blow. Typing in "scrolls" game, or "scrolls" fantasy, or something of the sort, gets you the Elder Scrolls links popping up first page.

Notch is good at making money, though, there's no doubt about that. Of course that's not going to make him look like the "poor indie dev" in my eyes. I'd like to see him start taking this seriously.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    seriously, you think The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim has a case against Scrolls? Not even close to similar. No one could confuse them. Can we never use the words Star and War again because Blizzard got those with starcraft and warcraft?
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Two Listen wrote: »
    I think this is silly. Notch is really playing up the whole thing, and I'm beginning to find it pretty annoying.

Additionally, whoever thought naming a fantasy based game "Scrolls" was a good idea and wouldn't be met with any type of legal troubles, is really, really thick. Also, someone needs to tell Notch his google search skills blow. Typing in "scrolls" game, or "scrolls" fantasy, or something of the sort, gets you the Elder Scrolls links popping up first page.

Notch is good at making money, though, there's no doubt about that. Of course that's not going to make him look like the "poor indie dev" in my eyes. I'd like to see him start taking this seriously.

Very true. But then I'm finding any news about notch annoying, since there's so much of it, I remember seeing 7 notch related news articles on develop in the space of 2 days.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    seriously, you think The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim has a case against Scrolls?

No, I think "The Elder Scrolls" series of fantasy games may have a case against "Scrolls", an upcoming fantasy game.

It's like Nike's got...what, that slogan that's like "Just do it"? And then let's say Adidas decides to use a slogan that just says "Do it". That'd just be dumb.

I'm not saying Zenimax is going to "win", I don't really know or care what the outcome will be. I just think it's idiotic to not assume at least a little legal trouble when you name your fantasy game something very similar to one of the most well known fantasy franchises of all time. And I think it's equally idiotic to expect any sympathy because you "google searched it", and when you've got more sitting in the bank than most people could expect in a lifetime.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter

I think Notch should fight it. The lawsuit is shit and "really, really thick"

"Scrolls" is a word in the dictionary and should be fair game. A name like "nike" or a slogan like "just do it" is very different imo. The elder scrolls name itself specifically refers to scrolls that are...well, elder. Notch's game Scrolls is about Scrolls, what type of scrolls. We wont know till we see more of the game. But its Notch's Scrolls. Confusion about what google will throw out if you type in scrolls is completely matterless imo.

I said this before i think, but... If I was to create a game called "The" and had a huge team of lawyers behind me, do you think its right that I could sue anyone who uses the word "The" in any similar products?....dont be silly.

Lawsuit is silly...
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    what do you think showed up in google search for "mine craft" before minecraft had any internet presence? Apparently Scrolls is some kind of card game so that kinda invalidates the lawsuit completely.

Id like to think its a publicity stunt, but I would have used a name much closer to the target IP for that to make sure it takes off.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    "Scrolls" is a word in the dictionary and should be fair game.

The fact that he tried to trademark said "word from the dictionary" kinda throws this logic out the window, wouldn't you say?
    A name like "nike" or a slogan like "just do it" is very different imo.

...because it's for...shoes and not games?
    The elder scrolls name itself specifically refers to scrolls that are...well, elder. Notch's game Scrolls is about Scrolls, what type of scrolls. We wont know till we see more of the game. But its Notch's Scrolls. Confusion about what google will throw out if you type in scrolls is completely matterless imo.

Notch should say exactly this if he wants to sound even more ridiculous. And if google searches don't matter - why would Notch bother saying he bothered with it? So you're saying the only thing he apparently did to check to see if his name was ok doesn't matter - in other words, he effectively did NOTHING to check to see if it was ok?

I guess I can agree with that.
    I said this before i think, but... If I was to create a game called "The" and had a huge team of lawyers behind me, do you think its right that I could sue anyone who uses the word "The" in any similar products?....dont be silly.

That comparison is silly.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    What if the lawyer doesn't own Quake3? Why not Quake Live?

Just don't let them near OA :(
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    The old paper documents: edge of the atmosphere.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    as has been mentioned elsewhere, he's gaining excellent publicity from this, and everyone is talking about it. If you look at it from the perspective of simply resolving the dispute yeah this is a stupid way of doing it, on the other hand if you look at his marketing, I think he's very clever (and his team, might not have been his idea)

even if he does have to change the name it will be amid a big bunch of hype and the new brand will probably gain back any recognition lost in the name change
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster wrote: »
    as has been mentioned elsewhere, he's gaining excellent publicity from this, and everyone is talking about it. If you look at it from the perspective of simply resolving the dispute yeah this is a stupid way of doing it, on the other hand if you look at his marketing, I think he's very clever (and his team, might not have been his idea)

even if he does have to change the name it will be amid a big bunch of hype and the new brand will probably gain back any recognition lost in the name change

This is definitely true, Notch knows how to make money, that's for damn sure.

Part of me actually wonders if he didn't do this intentionally just for the publicity...
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    The fact that he tried to trademark said "word from the dictionary" kinda throws this logic out the window, wouldn't you say?

no. The fact that bethesda think they can sue because someone uses a word from the dictionary is wrong.
    ...because it's for...shoes and not games?

No, because Nike is a word created by the company and Just do it is a slogan made up of more than one word.
    Notch should say exactly this if he wants to sound even more ridiculous. And if google searches don't matter - why would Notch bother saying he bothered with it? So you're saying the only thing he apparently did to check to see if his name was ok doesn't matter - in other words, he effectively did NOTHING to check to see if it was ok?

I guess I can agree with that.

All he needed to do was open a dictionary and say, ooh. There's a nice word.

He will have researched it and googled it and found that, low and behold. No one has used Scrolls. So I will. You'll be saying next that I can't make a game called "auto" A trading card game based on cars, because of GTA....silly
    That comparison is silly.

no...it isn't. It's exactly the same.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I don't think you can create a media-friendly INDIE DARLING personality without careful management, so I'm sure he's choosing his words carefully throughout the entirety of this.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as a quick aside i think it's sad we live in an age where branding and distribution take a front seat to just making a good game these days.
  • equil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, because Nike is a word created by the company and Just do it is a slogan made up of more than one word.

nike is greek for victory.

Considering the fact that the one of the ideas with enforcing trademarks is to ensure that other companies shouldn't be able to leverage trademarks they don't own for publicity, Mojang has already won.

Yeah, i'm just repeating what everyone else is saying.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe it's just me Stinger, but it makes no sense at all to criticize Zenimax for filing this suit over a word (that is to say, Zenimax is trying to have some legal authority over a word) - when the whole REASON the suit is being filed is because Notch tried to trademark...the word in question. (That is to say, he also tried to claim some legal authority over a word.)

Does that seriously not read as backwards to you?

...seriously?

Don't know which way the suit will go, because in essence they're both wanting the same thing. I don't think it's silly for Zenimax to file against Notch, and I don't think it's silly for Notch to try and fight back. But I think Notch's reaction and playing up of the whole thing is silly, it's idiotic of him trying to make it sound like he did his research and is being "bullied". And his childish, superstar way of trying to handle things is really annoying.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    No, because Nike is a word created by the company

*cough*
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    I think Bethesda would be smart to take notch up on this just to bite any big corporation vs indie press they may be getting( whether its deserving or not)

Also I bet the amount of people who have heard of Scrolls has gone up like 1000%
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Actually. I did suspect Nike was actually a word, but I couldn't be arsed to look it up. That said, Nike trademarked the word "Nike" first. So they own it (for a sports wear, type company), I completely agree with that. Scrolls is/was an un-trademarked word as far as i'm aware, so its fair game. Notch found a word that hadn't been used as a title yet and went with it.

I'm not criticizing Zenimax, I'm saying the law is shit.

As said. I think its a great move by Notch. Everyone's talking about it. I bet he isn't losing any sleep over it anyway.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    zenimax can win this, thats why they are doing it, lets look at history..

http://forums.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=25816-0

mythic entertainment sued microsoft ( mutha fucking microsoft) over calling a game mythica....this isn't even the same word, and one is a name of a company not even a game.

microsoft pretty much has the best lawyers in the world, so notch just has to find some better than that.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    i'm currently suing polycount over an infringement of the text i added to images in my portfolio that clearly show i was using tricount before.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    incidentally, I wonder why Activision Blizzard never took any action over Minecraft, since it's clearly similar to Warcraft and Starcraft in name. I guess in that case there's a clear enough boundary between the genres?
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Well. Warcraft and Minecraft are both multiplayer, vast 3D worlds set in fantasy. Also Minecraft will be adding adventure mode with bosses.

Elder Scroll games are single player, vast 3D world set in fantasy. While Scrolls is a fantasy trading card game.

Obviously Bethesda's lawyers are bored or maybe they need to show that they are doing something for their vast pay checks and this is the best they could come up with.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    No, I think "The Elder Scrolls" series of fantasy games may have a case against "Scrolls", an upcoming fantasy game.

They don't. Nobody sued Realmforge for bringing out 'Dungeons'. Nobody sued Trion for 'Rift'. Nobody sued PlayDead for 'Limbo'. I'm willing to bet folks here can name quite a few trademarked titles that contain those words that predate those games.

A single word that constitutes part of an extended title is not similar enough to be considerable as a trademark infringement, unless we're talking about a made-up or otherwise 'unique' word. The word 'Scrolls' is hardly unique.
    I just think it's idiotic to not assume at least a little legal trouble when you name your fantasy game something very similar to one of the most well known fantasy franchises of all time.

That's just it though. It's not similar. It's ONE word. If Zenimax owned a game franchise that was called and trademarked 'The Scrolls', then there might be a case.

In the context of a video game franchise it makes perfect sense. Doom is a trademark. Quake is a trademark. These are games we know and love and have done for a long time. Trademarks have a context. They also can have a distinct appearance.

The reason this whole thing has cropped up is because the suit is utterly bizarre. It would make sense if their logos looked the same, but Mojang's game doesn't even have a logo.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee wrote: »
    They don't. Nobody sued Realmforge for bringing out 'Dungeons'. Nobody sued Trion for 'Rift'. Nobody sued PlayDead for 'Limbo'....

What other people haven't been sued for doesn't change the simple fact that Zenimax is acting well within their rights (and depending on how you look at it, doing their duty) filing the suit. That doesn't mean they'll win, but as Arshlevon pointed out, sometimes weird shit happens. Zenimax could argue that Scrolls will profit because it's a fantasy game using a part of their trademark, which they made so popular. Is it "right"? Who knows, that's up to the individual to decide, but the law hasn't dismissed the case yet.
    A single word that constitutes part of an extended title is not similar enough to be considerable as a trademark infringement, unless we're talking about a made-up or otherwise 'unique' word. The word 'Scrolls' is hardly unique.

That's what we're waiting to find out. You may have it all sorted in your noggin, but the law doesn't look at it as generally as you. To them it's going to be about context. Is it unique enough, since it's for a fantasy game? It would probably be unique enough if it were for a car, or a massage therapist, or the name of the brand of joints you can legally buy when they legalize marijuana (how slick would that be?) But this is a little different. It's like - you can use the word "auto" in pretty much any company name or game name that deals with cars, and you couldn't trademark the word itself. It's a generic term for card/automotive related stuff. But the word "scrolls" is more unique than that, and so we now get to find out if it's too unique (and consequently, owned by Zenimax) for Mojang to use, or if it's fine.
    The reason this whole thing has cropped up is because the suit is utterly bizarre.

It cropped up because it happened to Notch, who's in just about every day's news these days - and because everyone on the planet is typing "bethesda" into google every day to get information about Skyrim. Had this been between two smaller companies with games we weren't real familiar with, nobody would give a crap.
    I'm not criticizing Zenimax, I'm saying the law is shit.

I agree with you. It's a real shame we have to have these sorts of laws to begin with. But when the world is as big and easy to access as it is today, well...expect more of it, not less. There's a lot of reasons to choose being an artist over other jobs, haha.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good luck to Zenimax proving that use of the word 'Scrolls' in a video game context can cause palpable brand confusion between that product and their own.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I couldn't find a link to support the following fact, but Microsoft lost a lawsuit over the use of 'Windows'. I don't recall if it was in the US or a different country though. That's the problem when you create an item and market it under a single word, especially a common word (as opposed to a greek mythological figure).
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Notch needs to just rename it "Welder Trolls"
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Didn't Apple just lose recently to disputes over "App Store" being used by Amazon? Think the difference there was that "App Store" is a pretty generic term. I don't want to speculate on outcomes as I'm no lawyer, but it seems a little silly to be up in arms over the world "Scrolls." As a gamer, when I hear or read "Scrolls" I think of rolled up pieces of paper with shit on them, not Oblivion, Skyrm, or Elder's Scrolls. I'd think that the title being "Elder's" would be enough to qualify the use of "Scrolls" as a generic possessive of Elder's, and would associate "Elder's Books," "Elder's Wallet," "Elder's Blade," etc with their IP more so than "Saurman's Scrolls," "Notch's Scrolls," etc. *shrug*

I love me some Q3A, but he totally should have challenged them to UT for neutral territory :)
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I don't know much about this case, but isn't true that some lawyers have to prove they're doing something for the company or they lose money/get fired? So they start nonsensical bullshit like this just to keep things rolling? That's what it sounds like to me, anyway. But like I said, I don't know much about this case
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    Edger scrolls Edge:
    edgewind.

so bethesda is pulling a tim langdell?
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    Scrolls sounds stupid!
    i wouldnt use it for anything

more interesting thou: is the phrase "Tales of *random word*" registred?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Nobody sued Trion for 'Rift'

Palladium sued Trion over Rift, they settled out of court.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Egg on my face ;)

Although that suit is because the names actually ARE the same.