Home General Discussion

Guess who didn't play Bioshock?

dfacto
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dfacto polycounter lvl 18
Peter Thiel apparently
Pay Pal founder and early Facebook investor Peter Thiel has given $1.25 million to an initiative to create floating libertarian countries in international waters, according to a profile of the billionaire in Details magazine. Thiel has been a big backer of the Seasteading Institute, which seeks to build sovereign nations on oil rig-like platforms to occupy waters beyond the reach of lat-of-the-sea treaties. The idea is for these countries to start from scratch--free from the laws, regulations, and moral codes of any existing place. Details says the experiment would be "a kind of floating petri dish for implementing policies that libertarians, stymied by indifference at the voting booths, have been unable to advance: no welfare, looser building codes, no minimum wage, and few restrictions on weapons."

On the one hand, there's potential in this. On the other hand, there will be offshore derelicts in 10 years that nobody gives a shit about. Possibly with mutants onboard.

Replies

• Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Goddamn splicers.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    loose building codes in the middle of the ocean? that sounds like a great idea!
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    about 20 years ago a guy wrote a book about this. it was called "How to start your own country" or something. he set himself up on a flak platform thing in the English channel, kinda like an oil rig, but for guns. old derelict thing from ww2. I cant remember all the details but he had a list of necessary things to get yourself recognized as a sovereign state. I think currency was the big killer, had to be able to print up paper that was exchangeable into other countries currencies. obviously not an easy task.

sounds like this Seasteading institute is the same guy.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Paradan wrote: »
    about 20 years ago a guy wrote a book about this. it was called "How to start your own country" or something. he set himself up on a flak platform thing in the English channel, kinda like an oil rig, but for guns. old derelict thing from ww2. I cant remember all the details but he had a list of necessary things to get yourself recognized as a sovereign state. I think currency was the big killer, had to be able to print up paper that was exchangeable into other countries currencies. obviously not an easy task.

sounds like this Seasteading institute is the same guy.

Cept this dude owns frickin' Paypal. If anyone could get around this issue in the entire world it would be him. For all we know this guy just might want to throw some REALLY epic parties.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    honestly, sounds like he's just tossing money around to get publicity - if he was serious he'd invest $1.5 Billion - right now all he's throwing in is enough to build a small overpass.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    lol.
    http://www.sealandgov.org/
    also no micronation has ever been officially recognised by any sovereign government. they always see it as a threat. can't imagine why ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahahaha... that was great, I'm actually cleaning coffee off of my screen, thanks =P

The guy is seriously crazy. He created PayPal to become a new global currency. His political views are so incredibly extreme that he attributes giving women and black people the right to vote, to the decline of America. He whole heartily believes in survival of the fittest as economic and social policy and that rules and regulations and social safety nets only hold back the cannibalization of the weaker, err sorry it holds back the stronger from getting stronger.

He fully supports the corporate bailouts but not as a way to save society but as the scheme it was to milk the world for trillions. If you're stupid enough to elect officials that want to save corporations from tanking then you deserve to have your money stolen, even if they lie to you to take it.

The only way he is going to let anyone join him, is if he can hand them a pair of floaties and hunt them down with a speed boat.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Hahahaha... that was great, I'm actually cleaning coffee off of my screen, thanks =P

The guy is seriously crazy. He created PayPal to become a new global currency. His political views are so incredibly extreme that he attributes giving women and black people the right to vote, to the decline of America. He whole heartily believes in survival of the fittest as economic and social policy and that rules and regulations and social safety nets only hold back the cannibalization of the weaker, err sorry it holds back the stronger from getting stronger.

He fully supports the corporate bailouts but not as a way to save society but as the scheme it was to milk the world for trillions. If you're stupid enough to elect officials that want to save corporations from tanking then you deserve to have your money stolen, even if they lie to you to take it.

The only way he is going to let anyone join him, is if he can hand them a pair of floaties and hunt them down with a speed boat.

You got a source for any of that?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    He's a libertarian, so he also eats young children for dinner once a week (typically alive)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    The more i read about this guy the more i like him. Brilliant dude.

He's the guy who was offering kids 100000 dollars to drop out of school as well as the first major dollar contributors to facebook.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-08FwmDkh0&feature=related[/ame]
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? 'No!' says the man in Washington, 'It belongs to the poor.' 'No!' says the man in the Vatican, 'It belongs to God.' 'No!' says the man in Moscow, 'It belongs to everyone.' I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible."
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    You got a source for any of that?
    In a essay he wrote back in 09 for the Cato Institute, he laid out his views.
    The 1920s were the last decade in American history during which one could be genuinely optimistic about politics. Since 1920, the vast increase in welfare beneficiaries and the extension of the franchise to women — two constituencies that are notoriously tough for libertarians — have rendered the notion of “capitalist democracy” into an oxymoron.
    Giving disenfranchised people (women and poor people) the right to vote, ruined everything. The majority of welfare beneficiaries are black, so some people take that as a thinly veiled racist slam also, which he has never rebuffed.

Either way he doesn't think everyone is equal and that every voice should count for something. It's fine to ignore voices that don't agree with you or are lower down on the food chain. The equality that has been pushed since the 1930's is what's wrong with western civilization...

He also looks back on the decades of abuse and corporate robbery that lead to the great depression as the Good Ol days and wants to go back to the days when anything you could think of was fair game.
    Ponzi schemes? every day business.
    Pollution? Make sure its unregulated otherwise it cuts into profits.
    Rampant unemployment as a result of massive fraud. Cool beans, if you get swindled its your fault don't blame the swindler.
    Never help the starving (dust bowl), just let them die off while you continue to rape whatever is left in their wallet by any means necessary.
    Yea the good ol days... When rich fuckers could do whatever the hell they wanted and they where above everything.

Time and time again has shown when there is that level of inequality in society, steps are taken to correct it. Often that means people get tired of his antics and hang the rich fucker from a tree while a mob loots his estate. Now we can go back to those days, or we can be socially aware of the world around us and compassionate for our fellow human beings and instead of abusing them to make money we cooperate to make a better more fair society without giant gaps in inequality and violent over throws. But the ball is in their court, they are the true decision makers and job creators. You either vote their way and get rewarded, or you vote against them and get punished, like we have going on now.

Then at the end he laid the foundation for this latest move.
    A better metaphor is that we are in a deadly race between politics and technology. The future will be much better or much worse, but the question of the future remains very open indeed. We do not know exactly how close this race is, but I suspect that it may be very close, even down to the wire. Unlike the world of politics, in the world of technology the choices of individuals may still be paramount. The fate of our world may depend on the effort of a single person who builds or propagates the machinery of freedom that makes the world safe for capitalism.
    For this reason, all of us must wish Patri Friedman the very best in his extraordinary experiment.
    http://www.cato-unbound.org/2009/04/13/peter-thiel/the-education-of-a-libertarian/
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see what you're saying, but I do believe you're taking it out of context.

As a Libertarian myself, I would tend to agree with what he said. But the context is all messed up. For instance, I don't believe that anyone should be allowed to vote, because I don't believe in the political system. So something like women getting the right to vote could (but shouldn't) be seen as a step backwards. The step forward would have been to take away voting rights from men (meaning, everyone), in the Libertarian context.

The increase in welfare he's talking about is mostly New Deal stuff, like say social security. Where, again, the context is crucial. I'm not against Social Security per-se, but the liberty issue of being forced into it. Seems perfectly fair to say that I don't want to pay into social security, and I don't want to ever get any benefit from it. And yet, that's illegal.

It's that kind of stuff.
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    There's already a place without Gov rules and regulations- it's called Somalia.
    Yeah, I've read Ayn Rand and her nutty philosophy as well. I actually used to believe in her tripe, now my copy of Atlas Shrugged sits on a bookshelf in my parents basement collecting dust, just where it should be.
  • EarthQuake
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A nation built on a platform in international waters would be completely dependent on outside help - so this whole idea is just a utopian pipe dream.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi wrote: »
    There's already a place without Gov rules and regulations- it's called Somalia.
    Yeah, I've read Ayn Rand and her nutty philosophy as well. I actually used to believe in her tripe, now my copy of Atlas Shrugged sits on a bookshelf in my parents basement collecting dust, just where it should be.

First, Somalia is about as far as it gets from a theoretical Libertarian Utopia. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't looked into the history and current affairs of that country.

Second, Ayn Rand is all about Objectivism, and that has nothing to do with Libertarianism. She's all about a powerful government, we're all about no government.

She and Murray Rothbard (who's a central figure in Libertarianism) had plenty of fights, and he even wrote a play called The Brow of Zeus as a satire of Atlas Shrugged, because the ideas in Atlas ran so much against Libertarianism.

Just trying to set the record straight, in case anyone is actually interested.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A nation built on a platform in international waters would be completely dependent on outside help - so this whole idea is just a utopian pipe dream.

Trading with other people is a core principle of Libertarianism. That a society (not nation btw) built on a platform at seas would trade with other nations is an added bonus, not a tragedy, to a Libertarian society.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll open a e-waste recycling center on this platform, free from regulations and morality I'll just ship migrant workers out to burn it in open pit fires - I won't actually live on the island because I don't want to get cancer from all the pollution I'm producing.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For instance, I don't believe that anyone should be allowed to vote, because I don't believe in the political system.

Not sure if serious.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    Not sure if serious.

Combat should decide. Two man(or woman) enter one man(or woman) leave.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see what you're saying, but I do believe you're taking it out of context.

As a Libertarian myself, I would tend to agree with what he said. But the context is all messed up.
    The context is "how I became a libertarian", and the quote is from a section where he talks about how he came to view modern society as failed. He doesn't say "no one should vote" and here is a system to balance everything out, he just points to a highly imbalanced system and says "ahh the good old days we should do that again".

Some libertarians think that the government should protect its people. How? Who pays for it? Voluntary? Do you only protect those who pay? As in the opt in social safety net? How do you decide quickly who qualifies for protection? Do we mark people, do they carry papers? Do we force them to live in certain unprotected areas? What if people decide to opt in to being protected but don't want to move? Do you force them? How do you handle children in an unprotected society do they suffer unprotected until they are of age to choose? How do they transition from one society to the other?

How about protecting people from abusive assholes who work little kids to death, or deal in underage prostitution?
    How about protect people from starving to death? Or is the only protection allowed in the form of tanks and billion dollar bombers?
    How about protect the integrity of society by helping people get back on their feet? It seems like a libertarian society would gladly let some people fall, shrug and say "phew glad that wasn't me, I'm glad I don't have to do anything to help"
    For instance, I don't believe that anyone should be allowed to vote, because I don't believe in the political system.
    So then how do decisions get made?
    Who makes sure people are behaving morally?
    Who decides on the morals, the laws and the punishments?
    Who protects the people? How is that protection funded?
    Who defines what is a threat and what needs protecting?

I see lynch mobs rolling around doing whatever they want and claiming it lawful, or worse shrugging and saying "oh yea whos gunna make me stop?"
    The increase in welfare he's talking about is mostly New Deal stuff, like say social security. Where, again, the context is crucial. I'm not against Social Security per-se, but the liberty issue of being forced into it. Seems perfectly fair to say that I don't want to pay into social security, and I don't want to ever get any benefit from it. And yet, that's illegal.

It's that kind of stuff.
    The problem with an opt in system, is that when times are good no one does and when times are bad everyone lines up.
    They have zero ability to help in either case. The whole system is much more susceptible to collapse when something catastrophic happens. The deregulation that is central to libertarian thinking, makes catastrophe that much more likely to happen, either in the environment or in the markets.

You hear it all the time "it was the last thing we expected!? It just took everything"
    Tornado, flood, medical illness, drunk driver, crazy gunman whatever... shit happens and people who survive need help. I would much rather live in a society that lets those people rebuild their lives and carry on, than sit on the side of the road and rot because they didn't opt in or weren't able to opt in, enough.

There should be one class of citizens, not separate classes where how much you "voluntarily" pay-in determines how you're treated.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The context is "how I became a libertarian", and the quote is from a section where he talks about how he came to view modern society as failed. He doesn't say "no one should vote" and here is a system to balance everything out, he just points to a highly imbalanced system and says "ahh the good old days we should do that again".

I was talking about the wider context than that. The essay was on the Cato Institute, which is a Libertarian site. The target audience is other Libertarians. He doesn't need to say "no one should vote", because as a Libertarian I already (by definition) believe in Anarchy (meaning lack of government, not lack of order). So of course if there's no government, there's no one to vote for, then nobody votes.
    Some libertarians think that the government should protect its people. How? Who pays for it? Voluntary? Do you only protect those who pay? As in the opt in social safety net? How do you decide quickly who qualifies for protection? Do we mark people, do they carry papers? Do we force them to live in certain unprotected areas? What if people decide to opt in to being protected but don't want to move? Do you force them? How do you handle children in an unprotected society do they suffer unprotected until they are of age to choose? How do they transition from one society to the other?

No libertarian believes government should protect its people. Because no libertarian believes in a government. That's why all those questions of "How? Who pays?" are moot. The people who believe that are either Constitutional Conservatives, who believe in a limited government, or Ayn Rand followers who believe in Objectivism. Either way, not libertarians.
    How about protecting people from abusive assholes who work little kids to death, or deal in underage prostitution?
    How about protect people from starving to death? Or is the only protection allowed in the form of tanks and billion dollar bombers?
    How about protect the integrity of society by helping people get back on their feet? It seems like a libertarian society would gladly let some people fall, shrug and say "phew glad that wasn't me, I'm glad I don't have to do anything to help"

So then how do decisions get made?
    Who makes sure people are behaving morally?
    Who decides on the morals, the laws and the punishments?
    Who protects the people? How is that protection funded?
    Who defines what is a threat and what needs protecting?

I see lynch mobs rolling around doing whatever they want and claiming it lawful, or worse shrugging and saying "oh yea whos gunna make me stop?"

I'm not here to debate the merits of Libertarian ideology. Nor am do I wish to get into an argument as to who's right. I believe what I believe for the same reason you believe what you believe. That I want a better future to myself and the ones I love. And I don't see that future coming from the hands of government.

I will say though that there's an ocean of Libertarian literature on the subject, that tackles every one of those point. But I do not wish to debate them on Polycount. Just to set the record straight as to what goes on out there.

The problem with an opt in system, is that when times are good no one does and when times are bad everyone lines up.
    They have zero ability to help in either case. The whole system is much more susceptible to collapse when something catastrophic happens. The deregulation that is central to libertarian thinking, makes catastrophe that much more likely to happen, either in the environment or in the markets.

You hear it all the time "it was the last thing we expected!? It just took everything"
    Tornado, flood, medical illness, drunk driver, crazy gunman whatever... shit happens and people who survive need help. I would much rather live in a society that lets those people rebuild their lives and carry on, than sit on the side of the road and rot because they didn't opt in or weren't able to opt in, enough.

There should be one class of citizens, not separate classes where how much you "voluntarily" pay-in determines how you're treated.

That problem is only a problem for those that want to benefit on other people's expenses. For a Libertarian, this is more of a moral issue. If someone wants welfare, no matter how noble the intention is, does he have the right to force someone else into that system at gunpoint?

Since we find any and all gun-pointing (or coercion to be more specific) abhorrent, we cannot support a system like Social Security.

The basic problem is that there are people who do not share our disdain for aggression. And they see no problem with forcing us into their system. That's where the conflict comes from. The people who support welfare recognize, as you just did, that without the threat of violence to force people into the system, it would collapse. So they seek to prevent that collapse in any way possible.

Again, I'm not trying to argue in favor of the Libertarian alternative here, nor do I even wish to present it. I just want to express how I see things, and present the wider context of what it all means (to me).
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    dfacto wrote: »
    On the one hand, there's potential in this. On the other hand, there will be offshore derelicts in 10 years that nobody gives a shit about. Possibly with mutants onboard.

i lol'd
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    First, Somalia is about as far as it gets from a theoretical Libertarian Utopia. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't looked into the history and current affairs of that country.

Second, Ayn Rand is all about Objectivism, and that has nothing to do with Libertarianism. She's all about a powerful government, we're all about no government.

Umm No. HAve you actually read Ayn Rand? She is not about powerful government.. at all.

As far as no government, than you sound less like a libertarian and more like an Anarchist.

:::::::::::::::::::::

As far as the whole platform. Its already a stacked deck. He and others aren't going to go in and build from scratch. They are going to use the resources of the nations they come from to set themselves up. So they will have nothing to worry about in that Utopia, while those that come with less with unattainable goals of making it, will at be at a disadvantage. They will become the underclass that these establishers prey upon. (Sorta like we saw more of in Bioshock 2)
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Umm No. HAve you actually read Ayn Rand? She is not about powerful government.. at all.

As far as no government, than you sound less like a libertarian and more like an Anarchist.

Ayn Rand is a person. When you say "read Ayn Rand", what I believe you meant is read Atlas Shrugged. Atlas Shrugged is a fictional story that she wrote. Not a Utopian Manifesto. Just to make it clear. Ayn Rand:
    The only proper, moral purpose of a government is to protect man’s rights, which means: to protect him from physical violence—to protect his right to his own life, to his own liberty, to his own property and to the pursuit of his own happiness. Without property rights, no other rights are possible.

Which is an argument in favor of a small powerful government. This is more in line with Constitutional Conservatives.

Murray Rothbard on the other hand:
    Let me say from the beginning that I define the state as that institution which possesses one or both (almost always both) of the following properties: (1) it acquires its income by the physical coercion known as "taxation"; and (2) it asserts and usually obtains a coerced monopoly of the provision of defense service (police and courts) over a given territorial area. An institution not possessing either of these properties is not and cannot be, in accordance with my definition, a state.

Which means that since coercion is abhorrent to us, the current state-system cannot be libertarian. Whether it's Anarchist or not is a side question (which he tried to answer as well), but doesn't matter to the point. Which is, the Libertarian opposes the state.

Me personally, I like Tolkein's way of looking at it:
    My political opinions lean more and more to Anarchy (philosophically understood, meaning the abolition of control not whiskered men with bombs) — or to ‘unconstitutional’ Monarchy.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Well Bigjohn, I wish you luck. You will be the underclass for them to use.

All I have read is Libertarian is for small government. NOT ANY!. You seem to be more a offshoot of Libertarianism than mainstream. As shown here by this article from a former Libertarian thinker. http://mises.org/daily/2801 They do offer a distinction and do believe in limited government.

Also, Objectivism is a philosophical ideal. It is not to be confused with a system of government. Ayn Rand was a Libertarian in her form of government.

::::::::::

On subject. International waters ehh? They better have good defenses as the first priority. In any case, this is what their society will break down to.

atoll1.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy6Ak1DYReI[/ame]
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

On subject. International waters ehh? They better have good defenses as the first priority. In any case, this is what their society will break down to.

Private Contractors! We know how much better private armies are compared to state run ones - especially since they are free from the constraints of regulation and morality.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well Bigjohn, I wish you luck. You will be the underclass for them to use.

Cheers!

All I have read is Libertarian is for small government. NOT ANY!. You seem to be more a offshoot of Libertarianism than mainstream. As shown here by this article from a former Libertarian thinker. http://mises.org/daily/2801 They do offer a distinction and do believe in limited government.

You just linked the exact same article I did in the post above. It's by Murray Rothbard, which is the most significant figure in Libertarianism in the last century. Other than maybe Ludwig von Mises, but he was more purely an economist.

Anyways, the point he makes, and that I make, is that we're not actually Anarchists if you consider the Mad Max whiskered men with bombs definition. By some definitions we are, such as how we oppose The State.

That article is a good read. Personally, I read every word that man ever written. The only person I'm a bigger nerd of is Frazetta :)

Also, Objectivism is a philosophical ideal. It is not to be confused with a system of government. Ayn Rand was a Libertarian in her form of government.

Sorry, but absolutely not. The very term Libertarian Government is a contradiction in terms. She was basically a slut for capitalism, and she did believe in a government. Small, and powerful. She spoke very negatively of government, but then, who doesn't? But at the end of the day, she was against the abolition of the state. She was for a constitution, and for a small powerful state.

Not trying to convince anyone of any philosophy, but it's important to me to let people know that the two are NOT the same. I've been often called an "Atlas Shrugged reader", as an insult of course, just because I'm a Libertarian. In spite of the fact that I disagree with Rand on some major things. I'm talking about her and her philosophy, not necessarily Atlas Shrugged itself. Even the message in Atlas Shrugged doesn't resonate with Libertarians though... So I don't know what else to say.

Objectivism =/= Libertarianism, is the overall point I'm trying to make.

I imagine it's the same feeling liberals get when they're associated with Karl Marx and Communism by Fox News and co.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we need to bring this back around to video games before it gets closed!

What do the Big Daddy's believe in? Tea Party, Scientology, Discordianism?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    we need to bring this back around to video games before it gets closed!

What do the Big Daddy's believe in? Tea Party, Scientology, Discordianism?

Well, actually, isn't that the theme of the new Bioshock? They built some city in the clouds under the same premise. At least I believe that's what the story was about from the trailer.

It's an example of good story-telling in games if you ask me. I wish more games were like that.

Mass Effect comes to mind too.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    There are so many flaws in this I don't even know where to begin. Floating city, with 0 natural resources and has to build from the ground up medical, power, etc.

Mind Blown...
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18

Bahahaha, beautiful.

So much absurdity in that dudes philosophies.
  • equil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my political opinion is photoshop
    pc_obama.png

i don't think this will incite any sort of revolution but it might turn out to be a good first step towards making the ocean more habitable for people.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    if we cant live in ocean we shouldn't dream about living in space
    this is a good practice on how well human can handle future space colonies.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    The main people interested in these sealands are pedophiles and marginal weirdos who blame their failure in society on some government boogyman.

Also, the libertarian platform is a mess:

http://www.lp.org/platform

How are you supposed to support a military to defend your shores if you can't force people to pay taxes? Where does the money come from to support the court system they mention? Who, exactly is going to protect people's rights? it is pretty shaky. You could make up some stuff about private police -- who will police the police? Nobody; which means it is exactly the same as the current system.

Here is why private police forces are a stupid idea: Since markets tend towards oligopoly you will have Coke Police and Pepsi Police and they will be almost exactly the same. They will have you sign some confusing contract, and then they will threaten to sue you if you don't agree to their mandatory price hikes-- which is to say, an organization with a monopoly on violence is the equilibrium that these systems tend towards. This is why there are always governments everywhere you look. It is why there has never been a peaceful libertarian State like the one they all imagine.

What solution do libertarians have for a "tragedy of the commons" type situation where individual's incentives result in bad outcomes: depletion of fishing, damage to the ozone, toxic waste, etc?

I can tell you -- not much. They may talk about some kind of community watch style organization. Again, an organization that's a government in everything but name.

Here is the reality: we already live in the libertarian anarcho-capitalist utopia, and this is what it looks like. You are autonomous, and can pick a different security provider if you want (here is your list of options: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states), I would suggest being at least a multi-millionaire though if you want one of the better ones, since they are not really taking new clients.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    If we humans can't even harvest the energy from the Sun properly, what chances do we have of harvesting the deep currents and heat cracks under the sea?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Bigjohn, I'm curious about what you're describing. One primary reason for government is security - laws, police, armies, etc, all with the intent of keeping the citizenry safe from each other and outside elements. If your philosophy does away with government, where does your security come from? It seems to me that without some form of government, you get law of the jungle real quick, with the aggressive and better equipped taking from and harming those who lack the resources to defend themselves. Am I misunderstanding that?
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne wrote: »
    It seems to me that without some form of government, you get law of the jungle real quick, with the aggressive and better equipped taking from and harming those who lack the resources to defend themselves.

In other words: Somalia.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    3devo wrote: »
    lol.
    http://www.sealandgov.org/
    also no micronation has ever been officially recognised by any sovereign government. they always see it as a threat. can't imagine why ;)

I thought Germany recognized Sealand because Sealand did a bunch of stuff for them and when Sealand got invaded by Russian mafia they sent in some commandos and kicked major ass?

I have heard all of this second hand so maybe it was a bunch of bullshit (most of Sealand does), but it also sounded totally fucking awesome.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Since markets tend towards oligopoly you will have Coke Police and Pepsi Police and they will be almost exactly the same. They will have you sign some confusing contract, and then they will threaten to sue you if you don't agree to their mandatory price hikes-- which is to say, an organization with a monopoly on violence is the equilibrium that these systems tend towards

Sounds like Snow Crash.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    <3 snowcrash

slum makes the best post in this thread

Libertarianism would be a valid idea if people didn't ALWAYS drift into hierarchies BY NATURE. ALWAYS.

The other MAJOR problem, is that as long as humans are genetically similar to how they are now, there will ALWAYS be people who have no problem fucking over everyone else for their own gain, and also happen to have the charisma to pull it off on a large scale. No state police? Well then, I guess you're just gonna be working for Neo Hitler here, because he's got a bunch of guys with guns who like to be lead and work as a group, and you're just trying to live a normal life on your own. Tough shit, human. Only way to fight this is to have the nice people band together for defense against the dicks. I'm sure you can see where that path ends.

If people could be trusted not to be dicks to eachother, and not form hierarchies because of how their brains were structured, it could work. Try again in a million-ish years guys.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the real question: would Peter Thiel save or harvest the little sisters if he were to play Bioshock?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I mean, that's bad and all, but the zeitgeist project is intended to be run by an AI, now that's SHOCKing.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There should be a test people have to take before they're allowed to vote to prove that they have an understanding of not only how their government works, but the current issues at hand. Not as a discriminatory measure, though it could be construed as that, but as a motivator to be more aware, beyond what you hear on Fox or NPR or whatever news source you're in to. Certainly beyond bar stool rhetoric. I guess I'm just saying that votes should be based on educated opinions, not ignorant ones. Ignorence doesn't have a gender or race.

This is something I've been thinking about for a while. The amount of political ignorance in the states, and frankly in most countries, enables the idiotic politics we see. People with little concept of their political system or what's going on in it can vote, usually based on lies they've been fed and which they believe because it sounds right to them. I believe voting should not be an inherent right of every citizen, but should be restricted to those who can at least pass a basic civics test, such as that given to new citizens before naturalization, which also includes questions on recent political history. If you can't pass that, you're not fit to take part in the political process.

As for libertarianism, it's a pipe-dream that would consume itself. You can't depend on people's good faith, because people are assholes. A strong government is, was, and always will be necessary for a successful nation.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ganemi wrote: »
    The idea of voting eligibility based on knowledge of the political system seems right to me, but knowledge of the facts of the arguments seems kinda wrong, and really hard to set a constant standard for.

You wouldn't need to know facts about arguments, as those are two sided, but you should, for example, be able to say what major bills passed, and what those bills are about. That should at least cut down on some of the insane lies spread about different legislations and also serve to educate voters on what is going on.
    The facts on politicians' policies or actions, however, sounds really awesome.

It would be difficult to make those types of questions fair, and I don't think it should apply to the presidency or congress. Questions about chief justice voting records is fair game, but that much knowledge would really ramp up the difficulty on the test. You want it to be restrictive, but also accessible.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    TomDunne wrote: »
    It seems to me that without some form of government, you get law of the jungle real quick, with the aggressive and better equipped taking from and harming those who lack the resources to defend themselves. Am I misunderstanding that?

The Libertarian counter to this argument is that "the aggressive and better equipped taking from and harming those who lack the resources to defend themselves" is exactly what the government does. The "protection" they provide, is about the same as the protection the mob provides.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas wrote: »
    The Libertarian counter to this argument is that "the aggressive and better equipped taking from and harming those who lack the resources to defend themselves" is exactly what the government does.

Being taxed to pay for social programs is not the same as being starved to death by Al Shabab, imo.