Home General Discussion

Bungie Staffer Pulls Gun On Shooting Suspect, Makes Citizen’s Arrest

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
http://kotaku.com/5830253/bungie-staffer-brings-down-shooting-suspect-with-handcuffs

Looks like Bungie makes sure to feed their employee's their Wheaties every morning. That's some balls! Certainly gave me a chuckle this morning... I would love to see security camera footage of this, or something. He's just so nonchalant in the interview too.

Can you imagine being the first officer on the scene and finding the perp already cuffed and sitting on the ground. LOL.

Replies

• ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    GO FLETCHER! Holy Balls Man!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, that's crazy.

One question though......why would you just happen to be carrying handcuffs?

That's awesome, regardless.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I would buy him a beer, seems like a chill guy :)
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    ... gun? Holster? Handcuffs? i'm actually scared now
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    danr wrote: »

Yet another reason to fear the IT guy.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    gsokol wrote: »
    why would you just happen to be carrying handcuffs

Same reason people have huge wallet chains I suppose. Though it sounded like the cuffs had sentimental value, being his pappa's and all.

Nice to see a proper citizens arrest though, well done :)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    kinda surprizing he didnt shoot fletcher too, considering he already shot another guy. But im glad he didnt!

Well done, Master Chief. Well done!
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    I love the fact that all of this happened while he was wearing an Admiral Ackbar shirt :)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Fletcher is a true Spartan!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A good deed never goes unpunished. I hope he watches his back when this guy gets out...
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    "SHOUDDA GON TO CHASE"
    omg Im in love
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Yea that's a pretty awesome story. Love the Ackbar shirt; took "It's a Trap" to a whole new level.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    danr wrote: »

Polycount drinking game, take a drink!
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    A good deed never goes unpunished. I hope he watches his back when this guy gets out...

In the real world(generally) people arent that up for revenge. Too much hassle to much risk, besides this guy probably wont be getting out for a while, hard to hold onto revenge for that long.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    greevar wrote: »
    Yet another reason to fear the IT guy.

HAHAHA!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Noooooooooooooooo WAY!!!
    Calabi wrote: »
    In the real world(generally) people arent that up for revenge. Too much hassle to much risk, besides this guy probably wont be getting out for a while, hard to hold onto revenge for that long.

I dunno, look at Ganon in the legend of Zelda, he's always getting screwed over by Link and constantly holds on to the hope of getting his own back! :shifty:
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    He shouldda used the laser sword.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    "Police arrived to find the suspect handcuffed on the ground, the citizen who made the arrest was standing over him, repeatedly teabagging the suspect in the face".
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    It's nice to see citizens not being tools for a change, but at the same time I don't like hearing about people pulling guns on other people - especially when it's not done as a last resort in self defense. Permit or otherwise, in my opinion your gun stays holstered unless your life or someone else's is on the line - and this guy was already running away.

In the case of someone fleeing, I personally would've likely let them flee and tended to guy who was wounded.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    ebagg wrote: »
    "Police arrived to find the suspect handcuffed on the ground, the citizen who made the arrest was standing over him, repeatedly teabagging the suspect in the face".

hahaha
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome stuff, love how he treats it so casually. ^^
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Wow, cohonez of steel this guy has.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    That's awesome! Where did this happen? In Texas?
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Carries handcuffs with him everywhere he goes? Sounds kinky.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    were it so easy
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    This is the guy who made the mario for brawl?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Two Listen wrote: »
    It's nice to see citizens not being tools for a change, but at the same time I don't like hearing about people pulling guns on other people - especially when it's not done as a last resort in self defense. Permit or otherwise, in my opinion your gun stays holstered unless your life or someone else's is on the line - and this guy was already running away.

In the case of someone fleeing, I personally would've likely let them flee and tended to guy who was wounded.

Come on man, im all for a round of 'people who carry guns around all day are fucking crazy', but in this case everything clearly turned out perfectly. He witnessed a shooting, managed to intervene in a way that did not result in any more shots being fired, and turned in a dangerous, armed, fleeing man to the authorities.

I'd much rather hear that a guy drew a gun to de-escalate a situation than that a guy drew a gun to win a shootout.

This is fucking badass, and stories like this are what gives me any respect for people who carry guns or train for self defense in any way. No lives lost, no wounds inflicted, just a calm, controlled application of force.

And yeah handcuffs are weird to carry, but many men carry hunting/combat knives, which are a significantly less appropriate thing to have on your person at all times. Better to prevent a fight than to win one.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    yeah normally I'd agree with Two Listen but for me, just being a realist, I'd probably pull out my gun if I had one and someone was being shot.
    That right there constitutes self-defence.
    I mean what are you gonna do wait until he's ACTUALLY POINTING the gun at you/yours to go for your piece?
    Nahh brah, nah.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    SupRore wrote: »
    Come on man, im all for a round of 'people who carry guns around all day are fucking crazy', but in this case everything clearly turned out perfectly. He witnessed a shooting, managed to intervene in a way that did not result in any more shots being fired, and turned in a dangerous, armed, fleeing man to the authorities.

Yes, this time it turned out that way.
    I'd much rather hear that a guy drew a gun to de-escalate a situation than that a guy drew a gun to win a shootout.

As I read it, the man was already in the process of fleeing. Bringing another gun into the situation I feel hardly de-escalates things, by that point. Again - it turned out well in this case, but it could've just as easily wound up with the coin face down.
    This is fucking badass, and stories like this are what gives me any respect for people who carry guns or train for self defense in any way.

If he'd dropkicked the guy into submission, I'd think it was pretty badass as well. If the bad guy had actually pointed the gun and threatened him or tried to rob him, I'd think it was badass. But I read this as 3 citizens with guns, the third of which was lucky enough to not have had to fire. If he had had to fire, this would've been a shootout between 3 people in a parking lot rather than 2.
    Better to prevent a fight than to win one.

Exactly. That's why I think, when the fight's already over, better to tend to the wounded, call the cops (who can probably find the fleeing man - the wounded guy could probably identify him) and not possibly incite more aggression with another gun.

He said he did it to protect his neighborhood. If I were in his neighborhood, I wouldn't be feeling any safer right now. What if this guy simply hears shots, sees someone fleeing the scene - is he going to pull a gun on them? What if it was someone getting ROBBED who was running from the shots?

Now that didn't happen - it's just an example situation, and I don't know the guy. All I'm saying is in my opinion, you pull your gun when you HAVE to - not to play hero.

Edit: I guess I'm just not much for guns. You put a gun in someone's hands and they know they've got power over another individual, you've got life and death with a single movement of your finger. When you stick a gun in someone's face, you're pretty much saying "I can kill you right now, by the way." Maybe that's not a serious matter to some folks, I guess in this day and age of Counter-Strike and Battlefield it's only to be expected. But for me, it's something to take very, VERY seriously.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    people with concealed weaponry are just plain creepy

brrr
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Two Listen wrote: »
    Edit: I guess I'm just not much for guns. You put a gun in someone's hands and they know they've got power over another individual, you've got life and death with a single movement of your finger. When you stick a gun in someone's face, you're pretty much saying "I can kill you right now, by the way." Maybe that's not a serious matter to some folks, I guess in this day and age of Counter-Strike and Battlefield it's only to be expected. But for me, it's something to take very, VERY seriously.

I agree with you man, but responsible use of force stops fights while minimizing injury. So few gun enthusiasts in america have the problem solving, people skills, sense of responsibility, and quick thinking to do something like this.

People are going to shoot people, idiots are going to play the hero, and every once in a while someone is going to do something extremely professional and smart. Why shouldn't we celebrate the few who AREN'T jackasses?

Your individual points seem pretty unfair. it happened this way THIS time because of the decisions this individual made in this exact situation. I'm not saying everyone should pull guns on every running man they see, this guy made a very good judgement call at the time. And the fact that the man had pocketed his gun and started to get away from the place where he'd just SHOT SOMEONE before the cops come doesn't mean he's no longer a threat to people around him -- you've played gta, come on :p

People do what you described in your hypothetical situation and pull guns irresponsibly, and it's horrible and in my mind the only good argument for more gun control -- but that is not what this man did, and it's unfair to compare him to them. The whole point of only drawing a weapon when it improves the situation in some way is to do what this man did and not what your hypothetical dangerous idiots would do.

Danr, there ARE some not psychopathic reasons to carry a weapon. Being the most powerful person in the room empowers you to take some risks that would be very silly for a unarmed person, like stopping to talk to someone who asks you for help in a bad neighborhood. Helping people stopped by the side of the road. etc.

I've met very few who use their ccw status for anything other than to make themselves feel like a badass, but there are good things that would be foolish and dangerous to do unarmed in the average american city.