Home Technical Talk

messed up UI in 3ds max

Hi all, while working in 3ds max I somehow lost the ability to undo and redo. Anyone know of a fix for this?

Replies

• Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    i've had this happen when my ram usage gets really high. max seems to shut off undos to try and free up ram, so closing programs or restarting usually fixes it for me.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep same thing happens to me, run low on ram and the undo history clears out. It would also clear the history on me when it auto saved, that stopped happening in 2012 but there are other times it stops responding...

There are times you might be in a sub-menu or a name box where ctrl-z won't work but the undo history hasn't been cleared. This happens to me when animating, I use undo/redo to flip between two changes and there are times it just doesn't respond. In those cases you can try the buttons in the upper left by the giant file menu button. Clicking the little drop down arrow next to the undo arrow, will show you if the history is there or if its been cleared.

In older versions of max you can try Main Menu> Edit > Undo. Typically it will say "undo bla bla bla" if its gray'ed out then its probably been cleared and you're on your way to a crash. so you should restart.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Good idea to restart Max every 4.25 hours, and yes, idling adds up to that number.
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all thanks for responding back. And the restart off max worked. IT just caught me off guard. Thanks for all the help!