Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Orca Helicopter

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Yury polycounter lvl 8
Hi, everyone! Let me introduce myself. My name is Yury and I'm an international student at Centennial College in Toronto, Canada. I'm studying Game Art and Design and after graduation in 4 months I hope to work in the game industry here in Canada. I would like to show you my latest project that I did as my assignment for one of my classes and which will be the main piece for my 3d modeling Demo Reel. I called it Orca Helicopter because of the color scheme and the shape of the helicopter itself. The main source of inspiration for the project was Mike Brown's Airwolf concept that you can find on his DeviantArt page here: http://bagera3005.deviantart.com/art/AIRWOLF-REIMAGIND-130543923 The model has 9,781 polys (20,220 tris), diffuse map, normal map and spec map. I'm still working on pedestal for it, but the helicopter is 100% done.

Here's some screenshots and a turntable. Suggestions and advices on how to improve it are wery welcome! Thank you! :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj0Y5IhiTfs"]Orca Helicopter - YouTube[/ame]

screen1xb.jpg

screen2gp.jpg

screen3bf.jpg

screen4lu.jpg

screen5nn.jpg

screen6y.jpg

screen7n.jpg

screen8ba.jpg

Replies

• SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    that's pretty cool. I just had too :)

rockin.jpg
  • Tanner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should put motion blur on that well done blades, so much detail!
  • Koochy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koochy polycounter lvl 10
    ^ camera shutter speed at 1/1000000 to capture those rotors
  • kid908
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or the engine stalled :)
  • Monolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monolith polycounter lvl 18
    Mhh... mhh...

The visible rotor mechanic, while very nice to see, is kinda an eyesore to me for such an overall sleek design.
    Maybe hide it under some kind of Cover like on THIS image?

Then there's also the tubes under his belly, while I understand them beeing somewhat iconic to the Airwulf it just looks out of place on this Reinterpretation ( and on personal opinion they also looked ridiculous on the original ).
    IF you want to keep them on the outside I'm begging you to have them inside a aerodynamic cover.

Just my opinion on this nice Design.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    really nice but i was hoping for that as i read the title of the thread:

Orca_Fighter_1.jpg
  • sirenblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koochy wrote: »
    ^ camera shutter speed at 1/1000000 to capture those rotors

Aperture at f0.000005

2s124xj.png
  • BIGSOG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beautiful! i love the design!!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    SimonT wrote: »
    really nice but i was hoping for that as i read the title of the thread:

Orca_Fighter_1.jpg

me too!

really nice model though
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The tail needs to be angles downard to avoid blade collisions and/or main rotor assembly needs to be pushed upwards a bit.

I just noticed that you don't have a tail rotor...And that tail doesn't look it could function as a NOTAR either. It's obviously not a coaxial design, so yeah...no way this design would ever fly without spinning out of control in seconds. While i'm ripping the design up, i might as well note that there are too many aerodynamic foils by the tail fin.the two bottom ones and the two top ones, while they look interesting, probably don't hae any reason besides looking all interesting, especially with the lack of a tail rotor.

Right, engineering lesson over, Suggestions:

-Follow the rah-66 comanche more than fictional airwolf.
    -
    -Add a tail rotor, preferably in commach style. Or at the very least add something that functions as a counter-torque system. NOTAR, tail rotor, coaxial rotors, anything that makes your design look like a feasible helicopter.

-increase the height of the main rotor assembly, bulking up the mound around the main rotor, also so that the vertically challenging and complex swashplate can fit.
    -decrease the angle of the tail by 5-10° with pivot around the engine exhausts, in addition to raising the main rotor

---

Having said all that, That is one fine sexy orca you got there. :)
  • Yury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you for the comments, guys!

Well the helicopter is in grounded position on this pictures. It will be standing on the pedestal which is still WIP. But thank you for the suggestion about camera shutter, will need it later.

SimonT, r_fletch_r
    Yeah, my Orca has nothing to do with C&C univerce, sorry :)

Monolith, I agree, the rocket tubes looks so 80's, but at the time I was modeling it I didn't have any designs in mind so kept it original because I was aproaching the deadline for the project. I'll redesign it in my next version of the model for sure, I have a more aerodynamic desing in mind now

re.wind, well I didn't really pursue the engineering believability, it's a SCI-FI after all, not completelly though, the year is 2050 in my story) And it's an art everything is possible there, isn't it? But yes, you are right there are a lot of engineering flaws in the design. You have to be one very crazy pilot to try and fly this baby in real life :):) I wanted to do a second rotor the one like RAH-66 Comanche has, but it just didn't look right there, so I decided not to keep it. And that's where those two jet engines are come into play. They are playing the role of stabilisatior. As for the foils, yes they don't have any role except just being interesting details. Without it tail looks boring I think. Anyways thank you very much for the suggestions I'll try to use them for my Orca 2 in the future. Let's say this one is just a prototype using new advanced technology in helicopter engineering in 2050 :):):)

SouthpawSid, I like what you did with the background! Definitely better than mine dark one :)

Once again thank you for the feedback