Home General Discussion

how many of u non US residents got hired and moved to a US company?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
can u share your experience and story about how it all went?
how hard/long was it for the company and you to work out the moving?

anyone of you without any degree made it too?

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I take it you are considering working for a studio? You shouldn't consider just the US, plenty of very interesting studio's in Europe, where there are none of these annoying visa concerns, it's just about your skills (so no problem for you ;))

Sorry for not really answering your question btw.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i wanna live in the US anyway so it would be much better if i can get a job there

thanx for the tutorials, it was a good read,
    i wonder hw much harder it is if u dont have any education/degree

all i got is my portfolio and some experience

:(
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Hazardous explained his process to me while back when we're talking (he got a job in Northern California after living in Australia). I'll just copy paste the brunt of it as I saved it for future reference:
    Hazardous wrote: »
    The way the US government sees this whole process is basically like this.

To apply for a work authorisation visa, you need a total of 12 years of documented experience.

They view schooling as more important than hands on experience, and the breakdown is as follows.

diploma ( 1 year of schooling) is equal to 3 years of work experience.

associates degree ( 2 years ) = 6 years
    bachelors degree ( 3 years ) = 9 years
    Masters degree (4-5 years) = 12 - 15 years and an instant free pass to anywhere in the world basically.

So in order to qualify you need one of the qualifications above + documented relative work experience that totals 12 years.

If you cant document it, it means nothing and cant be added. (Super pain in the ass when your a freelancer)

And if you cant make that number up - then your options are reduced to pretty much zero, unless you are extremely EXTREMELY extremely talented... come first place in worldwide competitions, make tutorials, write books, get published in books etc etc.

In summary: Get 12 years exp, or get a Diploma+Degree.

I know many on Polycount are completely against the education system; but it has great importance if they were ever planning to immigrate for job prospects.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    sounds like you're best off marrying an american. :)

also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-1B_visa

some pretty harsh rules in there, notably about spouses and their non-existant right to work and about what happens in case you lose the job. i know i wouldn't like that sort of treatment.
  • BojanStankovski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BojanStankovski polycounter lvl 6
    I better find work in Europe.It's long process to get a visa and such things.
  • Rens
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    With the actual economy, i don't recommed you to go to USA :P, they are in the border of a disaster.

We have great companies in Europe, and one thing is clear, you won't live better there. But if you want to spent all your life there, it's just to find a company that wants you like crazy. They will get you a visa, and all what you may need without any kind of problem.

good luck!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Blaizer wrote: »
    it's just to find a company that wants you like crazy. They will get you a visa, and all what you may need without any kind of problem.

This is rediculous, and not a good piece of advice to be giving out. A company cant just give you a visa, or secure you a visa because they want you. It simply doesnt work like that.

Every employer has to proove to their respective immigration department that you are a better choice than someone local. The only way they can do that is with documentation and education and or relative work related experience to build a case for you that they will then provide to IMMIGRATION. Saying they really want to hire you just isnt good enough. Neither is showing them your art compared with someone else. It doesnt mean anything at all to them. Education and Work experience on the other hand is the language they speak - so thats what your potential employer will use to leverage your case ahead of the competition. The better equipped you are, the better equipped your employer can be when taking on immigration.

If you cant provide your potential employer with any useful ammunition, they cant help you - its as simple as that.

And even then, assuming you pass this point, you must attend your consulate interview, and your chances of securing the visa in your passport can be crushed on the spot. Remember at this point, its just YOU versus IMMIGRATION. Again, nothing to do with how badly a company wants to hire you.

There was a guy right in front of me who ended up in tears that put the shits right up me because I was next in line - hed flown across the county to be at his immigration interview that morning and everything was good - but the interview went bad and he got his visa turned down. So all the time, money everything hed put in, was just fluffed out - theres nothing any company can do to stop that from happening.

Obviously it can all go smoothly, but ultimately the better you look on paper in government talk, the easier and smoother the transition will be for you - end of story.

Btw for the record, I dont have a degree, and I made it into the USA, but not without complications and subsequent ramifications.

It took almost 6 months from when I signed the offer letter from Trion to the day I started work.
    I did it by having a total of 9 years of related work experience ( all documented )and 1 year diploma, and even then it was a stretch to make it all happen.

Letters from Employers and Freelance Clients had to be formatted in a specific way clearly detailing the work i was doing and my start and end dates, I needed to contact freelance clients I hadnt talked to for 6 - 7 years and ask them to sign documents which could only be described in some cases as = awkward.

It annoys me when people treat this stuff like its some simple matter that can be brushed aside - it couldnt be further from the truth.

Edit: If I could go back and get my degree when I was younger - I would do it in a heartbeat.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    With the actual economy, i don't recommed you to go to USA :P, they are in the border of a disaster.

The games industry is an export business. So having a weak dollar and a poor economy actually helps the game industry. It makes it cheaper to develop games.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    For me is not "rediculous". Just give or take, just that, and it's all what i can give as advice. So again, my advice would be to find a good company in europe and forget all the problems derived from migrating to USA. Too many US/canada artists are working right now in EUROPE, in our big studios.

If you are going to live ALL the rest of your life in USA, move on! but work in a big studio like Valve or Blizzard, studios with FUTURE. But if you pretend to work a few years like too many of us -europeans- do, it's a bad choice that we can't argue. You will work for dollars, and in exchange, it will be a shit unless if you work in a top AAA company earning A LOT.

Having a weak dollar helps north americans, not europeans, ehhhh. And it's cheaper for people outside USA. And the Cheapest would be to work with chineses or koreans.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx alot for the help guy.
    I have about 8 years of experience and few shipped titles
    I do plan to spend my life in the US, or it seams like it for now

I know how hard it is to make work and it sucks cause I missed once in a lifetime opportunity twice (lol)

Guess marrying an American girl is the best option for me after all, still singe hah (lucky me =\ )

Thank for the info and stories, I got hope :D
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Maybe consider taking a distance learning Masters degree? They aren't too expensive (here in the UK they are usually around £2000).

They post/email you your course material, you chat with a tutor via Skype/Email/Phone, do your assignments/dissertation and if you're successful you get your masters degree, which is usually validated by a University in the same way as a normal 'on campus' degree, so on paper they're no different.

Might be cheaper than a girlfriend too ;)
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting...
    Got link or more info?
    If I wanna do it in a year, how many hours a day it's gonna take me?
    O.o
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    There's a lot of different courses available but unfortunately probably not strictly game art, you might find a game design one but obviously that isn't going to be much fun if you're purely an artist. Remember your degree for your visa app doesn't necessarily need to be relevant to your chosen career.

It might be beneficial to do something a little outside your current work too, learn some new skills etc, and widen your abilities to new areas.

Here's one for an MA in Visual Arts.

http://www.camberwell.arts.ac.uk/courses/coursesbylevel/graduateschoolcourses/madigitalartsonlinevisualarts/
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Blazer doesn't like Americans or Canadians ? :(
  • dempolys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse wrote: »
    Blazer doesn't like Americans or Canadians ? :(

yeah, his view seems totally unbiased... :/
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    What I want to know personally is why people keep on expecting that if they come to the US or Canada, they're going to magically find a job, even if they have their papers in working order.

Is there a Memo I missed?
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    They're big places, lots of studios, people have a desire to move away. Don't think anyone expects a job as you put it, I don't see how it'd be harder to get jobs there that you shouldn't expect to find a job eventually if you have the papers sorted.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18

We have great companies in Europe, and one thing is clear, you won't live better there. But if you want to spent all your life there, it's just to find a company that wants you like crazy. They will get you a visa, and all what you may need without any kind of problem.

good luck!

You should be recommending China instead of Europe, you guys are having more economic trouble then the US.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    I've been looking into this recently. I'm in Australia, and I've practically ruled out the US as a possibility. While it is technically possible, the loopholes I'd need to go through make it really challenging.

From what I can tell, my two best bets are Canada and the UK. I'm very much considering looking for work in Canada sometime soon. It seems fairly easy to get myself a work visa there (being a fellow commonwealth country) the games industry seems fairly stable, and it seems like an all around awesome place to be.

This is just my take on it anyway, It's a bit hard to give the OP any good advice when you haven't said where you are from. :/
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    tanka wrote: »
    (being a fellow commonwealth country)

yeeeebooooy commonwealth FTW! :thumbup:
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Well, this is what I mean, Canada is theory is easier to get in and you could hop-scotch to US later with very small issues both in going to the USA and getting a Visa for Canada, but small issues could lead to bigger problems, like a piece of glass stuck in your urinary tract, you could get into bigger problems down the line (pun intended).

Here is some input from a previous such topic: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87207
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Well, this is what I mean, Canada is theory is easier to get in and you could hop-scotch to US later with very small issues both in going to the USA and getting a Visa for Canada, but small issues could lead to bigger problems, like a piece of glass stuck in your urinary tract, you could get into bigger problems down the line (pun intended).

Here is some input from a previous such topic: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87207
    jesus christ if theres a piece of glassin your urinary tract i think you ned to get that checked asap D:

but yeah, i've also been thinking of moving overseas, (me living in australia atm) and i was wondering whether it would be easier getting a job in us or canada. visa would be simpler for me if i go to canada, being a commonwealth and all but yeah, america wouldn't be a bad choice in the future... maybe.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    maze wrote: »
    go to canada!

:poly142: Might be moving there real soon, and it's super easy getting a work permit for (especially if you're Australian?).

Did someone say it's easier to get into the US from Canada than from outside that whole area? That'd be awsome if it's true, tho sounded like Gav still had a hell of a time.

And yeah, still got europe and asia i think :P
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Fuse wrote: »
    BlaIzer doesn't like Americans or Canadians ? :(

Are you kidding? LOL it's like you are trolling me hahaha :poly142:

Justin, all the nations are having economic troubles, USA is making all the markets to tremble, all is connected, and all that huge debt and weak dollar does not help, nothing. You should understand that if an european goes to USA to work for a few years, all are disadvantages in the return. It's basic economy ¬¬

And BTW, US game companies are falling down like in a meteor shower. So, working in a BIG company with a good future is very important. Being european, you should not imagine yourself to be working in a small studio in the US, that would be crazy imho.

BTW, I know people that get their Visa in less than 2 months. If they want you, a big company can move all the needed papers as fast as possible. They help you to relocate, and they help you in all the ways. It's something we do here in our big companies like acerinox... and it's not related to games.

In polycount there are too many european polycounters working as example in blizzard. I'm sure they could help more than anyone sharing their experience.

So don't think i don't like americans, but i prefer SPAIN over all the overseas countries, sorry :P
  • BojanStankovski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BojanStankovski polycounter lvl 6
    There is Blizzard in France and Ireland. I prefer to work in Europe than USA:):)
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea economy.. it comes and it goes.. well i live in israel and it sux here as well

so even with the bad economy in the us now it ALOT better than here

im a freelancer for about 8 years, to be honest, i make good money out of it, i work whenever i want, how i want, and if i wanna take a day off i just do

so its good life, very convenient + i can do that from everywhere
    the problem is u never get to be one of the team, a real part of the game (the world youre working on, thats how i call it, we are creating a new world when we create a new game) and it kinda feels like i missing something good

so i wanna try working in house on a big title, be a real part of it for once

how many of you did that move? (from freelancer to onsite worker) and how do u like it?

really appreciate the feedback guys. good info/reads :thumbup:
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vahl did it recently, from 3point to Splash Damage. You should ask him.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Lonewolf wrote: »
    i work whenever i want, how i want, and if i wanna take a day off i just do

you'll most definitely miss those things after a while. then again, the grass is always greener elsewhere anyway. at least the regular paychecks are a definite plus of the office-slave-lifestyle. ;)
    if you don't have any onsite work experience at all you should perhaps really consider going somewhere first where it's easier and faster to secure a visa or you don't require one in the first place, to see if it's your thing at all.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    You should be recommending China instead of Europe, you guys are having more economic trouble then the US.

haha. In the west everyone asks for a similar salary, no matter if they come from Germany, US, UK. Here in China when you apply as 3D artist, the Chinese artist asks for 700 usd/month and the westerner...? ;)
    Unless you got skills that cannot be found on the local (and very young) 3D job market here, China is a no go for most people here on PC.

Speaking of trouble though, China is the hot shit right now, buy they do have some issues they really need to tackle in the next 10 to 20 years...
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    since you like freelancing so much i recommend that you think thoroughly before you settle for a fulltime job. most studios work on the same game for several years. so unlike freelance you will be stuck with the same shit for a long time and if your studio sponsored your visa you will most likely be not allowed to work on anything else.
    if you go to a big studio, make sure your art lead or director is an actual artist and not a corporate suit.
    also, i dont know your preference about work space but most studios here have cubicles which i hate and they basically feel like you are just another cog in the corporate machine. so make sure they have actual office rooms like they should.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Where are you currently Lonewolf? I know usit offer a years 'internships' visa, you might be able to get something like that, then apply for a full visa after. I'm looking into it currently myself, I'll post updates in this thread :) I'm nearly sure you need a degree though.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I mentioned China because the "economic disaster" the US is on the brink of is moving from the number one economy to number 2. Spain is number 12, I'm not trying to insult you, just trying to put things in perspective. If 12 is nice then 2 isn't the horrible apocalypse that the sensationalist news makes it out to be.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    I suspect you might be disappointed in the environment in a large scale development, as an artist you are pretty much NOT part of 'The Team'.

As an Israeli I`m pretty sure you can play some JewCards to get into the US easier than other nationalities if you are really set on living there though.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    tanka wrote: »
    I've been looking into this recently. I'm in Australia, and I've practically ruled out the US as a possibility. While it is technically possible, the loopholes I'd need to go through make it really challenging.

From what I can tell, my two best bets are Canada and the UK. I'm very much considering looking for work in Canada sometime soon. It seems fairly easy to get myself a work visa there (being a fellow commonwealth country) the games industry seems fairly stable, and it seems like an all around awesome place to be.

This is just my take on it anyway, It's a bit hard to give the OP any good advice when you haven't said where you are from. :/

Actually stra'ia has the best visa of all time to get into the USA. Its called an E3, if you look it up it will tell you the specifics, but the best thing is if you go there your spouse can work aswell off of your E3 visa. Its like the only visa aside from the J1 that lets spouses have work eligibility right off the bat.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    If you've freelanced for a long time then going in-house is definitely going to take some getting used to. The same is true the other way around though. I worked at a studio for 5+ years and when it went out of business I freelanced for about 5 months, but really didn't enjoy it. I had some good clients and it was nice to able to set my own schedule, but I found it really isolating and I missed being around other artists. I ended up contracting back at a studio before moving to the US.

Personally I think there are way more benefits to being at a studio, assuming they are a reputable company working on decent games. Not only because of the (relative) financial security, benefits etc. but also you learn so much from other artists and you're more likely to have significant creative input on the project. Working as a freelancer you're usually just a 'gun for hire' and it's mostly about delivering work on an asset by asset basis. Sure you get to work on more projects, but I'd rather spend longer on a game and really feel like I've contributed something.

I guess it comes down to personality type to a certain extent; some people just prefer working on their own. But I'd consider myself someone who could quite happily spend days at a time pottering around at home doing artwork on my own, and I developed cabin fever very quickly!

BTW, work visa tranfers are possible in the US, so it's feasible that you could work for someone initially and then find another studio willing to take you on if the first place didn't work out. Of course, the company that secures your visa has invested time and money in bringing you over so they might not be too appreciative of you switching on them.
  • dempolys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, Nick.

Did you move to the US from another country?
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah from the UK about 2 years ago. Visa process wasn't too bad, but I'm on an H1-B which means my wife can't work on my visa. We've just had a baby though so she's probably not going to be working for quite some time anyway!
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Actually stra'ia has the best visa of all time to get into the USA. Its called an E3, if you look it up it will tell you the specifics, but the best thing is if you go there your spouse can work aswell off of your E3 visa. Its like the only visa aside from the J1 that lets spouses have work eligibility right off the bat.

I've read about it, but It still requires a degree. Aswell as needing to fulfill a specialty occupation (of which the description is vague). My best bet would be to marry my girlfriend and have her apply for a visa, since she'll soon have a degree in health/medicine area.

The green card lottery also seems to give the Oceania region higher chances than anywhere else. So like I said in my post, it isn't impossible. But when you compare it to Canada's Working Holiday visa, the stress seems unneccessary.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin, all the nations are having economic troubles, USA is making all the markets to tremble, all is connected, and all that huge debt and weak dollar does not help, nothing. You should understand that if an european goes to USA to work for a few years, all are disadvantages in the return. It's basic economy ¬¬

From everything i've ever read, and all conversations I've had with various Europeans, generally speaking, you're going to earn a smaller salary, pay more taxes, and have comparable or higher cost of living(with some exceptions like LA, San Fran and NY, but even there MUCH higher salary) if you're in Europe. So, even with a poor dollar value, your actual net income is going to be better or at worse, on par being in the US as it was in EU.

So yeah, basic economics... It seems your opinion here is based on random "OMG USD IS WORTHLESS" news headlines more than any actual facts.

Lonewolf: As has been mentioned, without a degree you're going to need 8-12 years of experience. Even worse, your experience as a freelance most likely does not count, unless you've registered yourself as a company or some such other nonsense.
  • Crazy Andy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy Andy polycounter lvl 12
    I am a brit, I got my first job in games in the UK. After four years and the company closing a friend who had moved to America called to tell me about a job opportunity at Genuine Games ( they shut down too) I had a degree and a few years in games which made then getting me my Visa easier. They paid for the lawyers to do a whole bunch of paperwork explaining that I had a degree experience etc. I went to the USA embassy in London I waited 6 hours to be seen. If I remember I got my Visa inserted in my passport there. Since then I have worked for several different companies in the US each had to go through the same lawyer documentation procedure. which extended the Visa, up to a max of 6 years. EVERY company paid those and relocation fees. BUT I had to work for them for 2 years or so. If i left sooner i would owe it all, or some of it back. Last year I married an american girl and got myself a green card which was a hasstle and took 8 months or so. Now when I get a job I presume it will be easier.
  • Crazy Andy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy Andy polycounter lvl 12
    I just re read my post Marrying my Wife was not a hasstle. Getting the green card with it's interviews medical exam, and $1500 fees was.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    From everything i've ever read, and all conversations I've had with various Europeans, generally speaking, you're going to earn a smaller salary, pay more taxes, and have comparable or higher cost of living(with some exceptions like LA, San Fran and NY, but even there MUCH higher salary) if you're in Europe. So, even with a poor dollar value, your actual net income is going to be better or at worse, on par being in the US as it was in EU.

the tables usually turn when you have a family - then Europe (with the exception of the "let's shut down everything to save money!" states) usually becomes the better choice.

Also working in the US ain't as fun as in 2000 when the Euro vs Dollar rate was the other way round ;)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Canada seems like a safer bet? Their govt regularly support the games industry and immigration to work in studios.
    Singapore also seems like a safe bet.

USA and Japan (where I am) are tough as nails to get into, hammer you down while you're here, and offer practically no support to the industry for visa getters.

Although saying that, if you can secure a sponsor beforehand it should be plain sailing, I done it twice in Japan and almost a third time to... the USA
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Crazy Andy wrote: »
    Marrying my Wife was not a hasstle. Listening to her complain about my cooking was.
    SORRRY I HAD TO
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »

Don't forget that you get much less holidays in the US, it's pretty much half compared to Europe (10 days off in US vs 20 in Europe i think ?)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    correct me if I'm wrong, but by default there's no right to vacation in the US, except for the mandatory state holidays. Everything else is up to the employer. I have friends in the US who have quite generous holiday amounts though but I know others who have next to nothing.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    EQ, no, my opinion is not based on ""OMG USD IS WORTHLESS". The weak dollar is just a point of the multiple points. Although you may don't believe it, i have REAL facts.

Yeah, the net income in USA is almost in par, but just in the best cases, and working in the best game companies. For me, it just does not compensate, nothing, because i lost more than i gain, and the money is not all in this life. I don't live to work.
    Also working in the US ain't as fun as in 2000 when the Euro vs Dollar rate was the other way round ;)
    That's what we think here :P. Almost all people here go to UK for game related works, they have better salaries and a stronger Pound. And being european, the problems equals to zero.

In contrast to USA, here we have free sanity (obama did something but it's far away of what we have here), 18% in IVA (sales TAX), you can't be fired once you get a steady job (we have stronger laboral rights), excellent weather, more vacations and holydays, and what for me it's a better life style and the most important thing, the family. In USA you go for a walk at 9.00pm, and it's not weird that someone in the neighbourhood calls the sherif to catch you... because they think that someone at that hour in the street... must be a delinquent. That's pathetic and it is for real. At 10pm we see people here, we have life in the streets. it's another world!

Now, in summer, is very common to see too many neighbours in the street at 1am here, enjoying the fresh air of the night with their family. The mood, the life style, the food, all is different there, and this is something i know from US friends that are now living and working here, in andalucia, and also by family members that worked in the spanish steel factory of N.A.S. in kentucky. The son of a friend/coworker of my mother says the same, he's now working in Texas in projects of civil engineering, and he's wishing to finish and return.

The life style, the mood here, is something we don't like to change. For me, Living and working in USA is not as good as living and working in Europe. All the friends i know that worked there, returned in less than 5 years. You must marry a cute girl there and earn a lot for not returning to you homeland.

Don't get me wrong, but for me, Canada would be a better country for work.