Home General Discussion

The People - Who's in your life, how do they help or hurt your art

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
jocose polycounter lvl 11
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to get all mushy on you guys.

I have a strong belief that ones ability to develop an aesthetic sense of whats important, that lets so many great artists work quickly and consistently, is due in large part to their overall lifestyle, perception/knowledge of what they are trying to do and themselves.

All of those things are informed in one way or another by those around you. Be it team members, family, significant other, kids, and so on.

It may not be something many of you have considered, or can even quantify, but if you can articulate some thoughts on the subject I'd be interested to hear them.

Or perhaps its the case that you are able to do what you do because its just you and your art, and you don't really let people get between you and that relationship.

So do people empower or disable your art and how/why?

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I guess co-workers or any other artists around me influence me; as far as drive goes.

Hope nobody starts crying about how awesome their daddy is.
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well most people I know aren't even aware that I do anything like this so I would have said they really don't have much impact on my work however recently I ave gotten into an awkward situation involving me, my former best friend and his girlfriend and I find that prays quite badly on my mind and can make sitting down to do anything quite a hurdle in my mind.

But broadly I keep the two worlds fairly separate and apart from the obvious going out with friends means I'm not doing any art they don't often overlap.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People both empower and disable one's ability not only to do art but to do all sort of stuff.

When shit happens to me or people arround me, it usually takes a toll on my ability to make stuff. I tend to step back from what I am doing just so i can concentrate on fixing what sort of people problems I am having at the time.

And the opposite is also true, when shit is good, it makes you bevel like crazy!

This bevel is for you mom!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I've had lengthy discussions about this. The people you associate with are very important to personal evolution. If you surround yourself with unrealized potential and the unmotivated then that's who you are. And sometime good people can't be together because they negatively influence each other.

I've known plenty of friends, coworkers, whatever that I've simply had to disassociate with because of this. As in, people that once a drop of alcohol touches their lips they are going to get in a fight with a stranger.

If you're looking to have a bunch of crazy stories, by all means get out once and a while on an adventure with these nutcases.

It's really up to you to decide what it is you're looking for. Whether its people that cause drama, don't do anything, have an unhealthy lifestyle, whatever. Find like-minded people that share your values and inspire you. Don’t get self-righteous and believe you’re above other. Understand that the combo of you and them simply isn’t working.

edit: this is a bit on topic
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o4O3U220GE[/ame]
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    I don't think there's any that hurt my art, everyone let's me get on with it (for now..). Sure maybe if I was left to my own devices in uni I would be better than I am now, but I wouldn't go back and swap that if I had the choice.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great responses guys.

That's a pretty awesome video cholden, thanks for sharing.

I think its also important to remember that we are EXTREMELY social creatures and that any act of creation is also an act of communication. When we use a visual language we are making statements and knowing how those statements are being received requires that you be in touch with people, your target audience/demographic.

If your doing art for kids your not going to do it in Gears of War style, kids wont appreciate that degree of realism. They enjoy and understand things more abstractly.

In this sense understanding art is to a large degree understanding humanity. Peoples aesthetic tastes force us to try and think about things we otherwise wouldn't, and when we do this we learn more ways of communicating and about what we love and hate in our art.

All of this helps you work quickly, efficiently, and with confidence.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    People both empower and disable one's ability not only to do art but to do all sort of stuff.

When shit happens to me or people arround me, it usually takes a toll on my ability to make stuff. I tend to step back from what I am doing just so i can concentrate on fixing what sort of people problems I am having at the time.

And the opposite is also true, when shit is good, it makes you bevel like crazy!

This bevel is for you mom!

Big round multi-segment bevels.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also posted this over at conceptart.org, got some interesting responses for those who are interested: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3209016#post3209016
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Out of interest are you doing a sort of paper on it?
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    jocose wrote: »
    I also posted this over at conceptart.org, got some interesting responses for those who are interested: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3209016#post3209016

Man! I could not read through most of the post there. Too discouraging.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips: Not per say if any of you have noted the types of posts I often come up with they are a little bit more heady and pensive than most. I have some odd hobbies including the studies of various philosophies, neurology, aesthetics, metaphysics, psychology. I guess I'm sort of fascinated by what makes me and others tick, and specifically how that allows us to create art.

I was speaking with an engineer who was working on neural networks and had made an algorithm that functioned MUCH in the same way as the iterative abstractions made by picoso. It is now being used by Boeing and lots of other large corporations with sleek authorative logos and lots of money :).
    picasso_bull.jpg

This spurred a recent line of thinking on abstraction which has currently evolved into and thinking on humanities in art. That all lead to this post. I know, heady, I'm an oddball but there you have it.

Simply though, I thought it would also be nice for both myself and others to read this type of thing to better understand our community and ourselves.

@OblastradiusO: Yeah some of them are a little Emo but I think careful analysis of the language being used and the patterns of thinking in those posts can yield interesting ways of thinking that you may find useful in your own work/life.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    jocose wrote: »

Wow, blimey...what's with all the Emo-ness in that thread? Talk about hanging your dirty laundry to the public to see.

Anyway, for me...hmmm...cannot really say, I only know that I like art, sculpts and shaders. If I'm going to sit all day on chair doing something, it might as well be something beautiful to look at, not the spread-sheets (not that there is anything wrong about that, just not my cup of tea).
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Probably not at all what you were asking for, but...

I owe it all to my dad.
    When I was young, I wanted to draw. I told him that I wanted to be an artist. He was very busy at the time, be regardless, he dropped what he was doing and said something to the effect of "Lets go get you some stuff!" He's been encouraging and supportive of everything I've wanted to do my entire life. I love my dad, and I tell him that often. I want to be like him when I have children.

Being happy, and having good relationships and associations with people and a positive outlook on life, I think, is what drives me to create and be productive.

I just want to say that I love you guys too, I grew up as an artist on this site and I owe so much to all of you as well.

When I find myself being discouraged by an individual or group to an excessive degree, I disassociate myself from them. It's not worth the effort to stick around and bear it.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    I have had both a positive and negative experience with people effecting my art. For the negative, I have had to pretty much drop all of my friends from high school because they are going nowhere with their life. Most of them had kids too young and are just happy living off their parents. Hell even some of my "Friends" in college make fun of me for practicing out of school.

As for positive, I have my parents and my girlfriend of five years to thank. They are all very supportive. My girlfriend most of all who understands I need to practice a lot if I want my portfolio to get to the industry standard. Without her love and support I am not sure I would even be as far along as I am now.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, thanks for the input. One thing I am gleaming from all this is that there appears that all of us aren't dependent. We have a relationship with our work that exists outside of others, society, friends, and family.

Some allow that relationship to co-exist and even being empowered by others around them. For others it is strengthened through isolation. I think both paths have the potential to empower our ability to create.

Its never as simple as just that, but I think that honest observation and analysis of that relationship is really important for developing artists growth.

At the end of the day its just the two of you.
  • Crazy Andy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy Andy polycounter lvl 12
    My 15 month old likes to press the PC power button....and being fair by giving my wife a break from our daughter means I have a lot less time for personal work, but it's worth it and I still, but slowly get stuff done.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    My daughter is 15 months, Crazy Andy and she tries to turn off my pc, but I have disabled the power button:)
  • Crazy Andy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy Andy polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks Ruz, I will do that. I'm also getting a new pc with a lockable door.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, little rascal. One of the few times in life where such a tragedy can occur and moments later you find yourself with a smile on your face. The things kids do to us.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My coworkers definitely help. We all bullshit about work, critique each other and whatnot. We actually started staying late at the office 1 night a week to work on stuff together...been doing it for a few months or so now..I look forward to it every week.