Home General Discussion

Bungie 20th Anniversary Doc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtG6--4r_qk&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

This brings back so many memories. Halo was the first game that I actually followed and searched for information on it. The halo 2 making of was actually the moment when I decided what I wanted to do with my life. That was back when I was in like 6th grade and immediately got my hands on maya and started fooling around. Now I'm in art school still just as excited to get into the industry.

So if you will excuse me... I'm gonna go play some halo.

Replies

• Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just watched this, truly beautiful. Everyone has there big game they grew up with, most older people, Mario, Zelda, Space Invaders. I grew up with Halo and what made me want to become an artist. Excited to see the new game.
  • Rens
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Many memories with Halo. One of my friends had moved down to birmingham but he happened to be coming back for a few days so he came over and we decided to play a bit of Halo. We decided to call round for some old friends, we'd all kinda drifted apart what with everyone moving but most were still in the same city. It became four of us and we spent the time just doing mutliplayer on Halo mostly, we even went to buy another pad because one of them had a faulty trigger. They ended up staying like 3 days. Good times.

Then there's the first year of university, which was spent mostly playing Halo 3 with the others in Halls of Residence. There was prolly like 10 people who were into it so we'd always have at least 4 people playing. We played a lot of 4v4s, 5v5s, big team battles, against each other and online, it was pretty awesome. It was a long corridor with 17 rooms and most of it was done in 2 room ajacent to each other which was cool.

Sure you have multiplayer online games which you can play with others online, and your old games, but they don't compare to playing with loads of others in the same room/area. You don't often get games where 4-8 local players can play online against others, hell only now has CoD allowed 2 of you to go online, and you see racing games that are only 1 player per console and you think.. what the hell?

Anyway, time to watch that documentary.
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
    <3 - Keep kicking ass Bungie.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I always really enjoyed the MP of Halo 1... 2 was kinda of ok.. and i didn't even bother with the 3rd one. After those, i never played OSRT or Reach. But now, watching that doc i do want to see Halo Reach and check out their vision of what their game was always meant to be. I am glad they are not part of any big corporation and that they are doing what they like to do best. Games that capture gamers and are fun!

This was a good doc. :)
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hee hee, I'm in this talking bullshit for like 20 seconds :P
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    During the Reach section, the brown talking head, Rajeev Nattam :P
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh sweet! That is so sick!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    This is one of the coolest I've ever seen.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Halo is the reason I know I want to make art for games. Stepping out of the crashed ship in Halo:CE for the first time and seeing the huge open environment was life changing for me.

*tear*

But seriously, I get so psyched watching any ViDocs put out by Bungie. If you haven't seen it, watch the "Making Of" DVD that came with Halo 3. I still watch it every time I need inspiration.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How old is that footage around the 28 minute mark? Theres a guy wearing a Minecraft Creeper looking TShirt. TIME TRAVELLER
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Andreas wrote: »
    How old is that footage around the 28 minute mark? Theres a guy wearing a Minecraft Creeper looking TShirt. TIME TRAVELLER

Yeah they're playing reflection map on Halo Reach. I thought they'd be showing Halo 2 or something.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SeanEG wrote: »
    But seriously, I get so psyched watching any ViDocs put out by Bungie. If you haven't seen it, watch the "Making Of" DVD that came with Halo 3. I still watch it every time I need inspiration.

Yeah I was hoping for something like that in Reach. :(
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that was.. amazing, some of the moments just gave me chills, seeing it come together with the music in the background, halo.

rockstar raj! :D
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    the first Halo and grand theft auto 3 were the two games that made me want to work on games.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Great insight into the company. Does anyone know of any similar videos to this for other companies?
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Amazing insight into Bungie, while I've never cared much for the Halo franchise, I can't deny the huge impact Bungie have had on games, story telling and the first person shooter genre.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Baj Singh wrote: »
    Great insight into the company. Does anyone know of any similar videos to this for other companies?

Yeah I wish every big company did something like this. I love hearing stories about older game development. Wouldn't have minded it to be a bit more technical even, where they talk about what polycounts they went for and what technical limits they had and so.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Great behind the scenes look. I really wish it had talked more about Marathon (they kinda glossed over it quickly). Also did anyone else notice that they completely skipped Halo Wars? I know it wasn't made by Bungie, but it's still Halo.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    MrHobo wrote: »
    Great behind the scenes look. I really wish it had talked more about Marathon (they kinda glossed over it quickly). Also did anyone else notice that they completely skipped Halo Wars? I know it wasn't made by Bungie, but it's still Halo.
    It's a bungie viddoc. I want to hear about THEIR experience, not another studio! :)

On topic, I loved this. Halo: CE was the only reason I bought an Xbox back in the days. Ever since I laid my eyes on that game, and watching the cinematic where the Master Chief crash lands on Halo, with that epic soundtrack, I knew what I wanted to do in life. Not to mention seeing the incredible environments at the time. I was blown away. It's a great feeling to look back at where I was, 10 years ago, and seeing that my dreams have come true. So much nostalgia! :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope Tiger isnt ANOTHER 'post-apocalyptic' game... had enough of those. Especially in space.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some interesting tidbits about Bungies next big IP.

http://kotaku.com/5912144/bungies-next-huge-game-is-an-xbox+first-sci+fantasy-action-shooter-court-records-show

Mostly its just details on how Activision are going to buy their shareholders that second yacht, but hey, Bungie can do little wrong in my eyes, so I'm excited to see what they're cookin'.