Home Technical Talk

Help me convince my brother

I [we] are at the final stages of hardware assembly and my older brother is helping me [or doing it all since I'm a total noob at building a new computer] put all my parts together in my new tower. I whip out my Win 7 x64 dvd and he launches into a heated argument why XP is still good and x64 XP is plenty good for me and he wants nothing to do with [and in fact will not even touch the win 7 dvd] win 7 and will not help me install it and also [blackmails I think] me to not use win 7 EVER. If I do not agree to his demands he will walk away from the project and I don't know who I'll turn to for technical help. Probably be you guys again.

I want a LIST for reasons why Win 7 x64 is needed and not Win xp for my computer install. Please convince him [he can be convinced but he is the most stubborn person I have ever met in my life.]

Please help me guys.

i-7 processor
8 gigs ram
500 + 250 gig harddrives
750 watt powersupply

I was told by a lot of people including this forum that Win7 and esp the x64 version is for me since I have 8 gigs of memory. I was told that Win 7 x64 processes memory more efficiently, etc but I need more than that as a reason to convince my brother to help me with the install of Win 7 x64.

Please guys.

Replies

• equil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    windows xp doesn't support dx11
    86x can't handle more than 3gb ram
    if you don't get win7 your brother won't get any more blowjobs
    cut his tongue off
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    Two reasons I can think of that are really easy:

1) XP x64 driver support is very, very poor.
    2) XP has been cut off from future technology, so IE9, DX11, etc. are all out of reach to XP users. It is old, it is crusty, it needs to be retired.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    As a Mac user and Apple fan, Win7 is an excellent OS.

Worst case scenario, let him install XP, then when the computer is all yours, install Win7.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Show him this video: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON8fU2RWyK4[/ame]

And explain that its not XP compatible.

And neither will any DX11 game coming out in the future.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    LOL tell him after 10 years, its time to leave Windows XP, that and I rather deal with the issues of Windows 7 (some people get it, I havent dealt with any) than mess around looking for stupid XP 64bit drivers. If it was me, I would tell him to get off his high horse and just get the place you're buying your parts from to build the computer for you. (Think they charge about 50$ or I know NCIX does and install Windows for you) Just look through the threads on polycount for a build. Theres been tonne of threads, and get the stuff through one supplier.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    One single reason here is good enough; XP support will be cut off soon. Second reason? You're stuck with DX9 as well. Seriously, let go of XP love and MOVE ON! :D:)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd just tell him as a game artist you need access to the latest versions of direct X,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzjsTt_DzCw
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need a list
    Like 20 things guys
    He doesn't listen to 1 reason when he just makes up sh.it on his own
    seriously overload me with reasons here. drown me in reasons
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n88tr wrote: »
    I need a list
    Like 20 things guys
    He doesn't listen to 1 reason when he just makes up sh.it on his own
    seriously overload me with reasons here. drown me in reasons

At this point why bother? He's obviously not gonna reason and get you to install Windows 7. Just get someone else/newegg etc to build it for you.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    There is pretty much universal acceptance among tech people that Windows 7 is a big improvement over both xp and vista. Usually its the tech people trying to convince everyone else to switch to win 7.

More ram, better ui, more stable, dx10 & 11, drivers.

I used XP for a long time, didn't upgrade until Win 7 and haven't looked back. It is so much more of a joy to use once you get used to it.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Send him this topic and let him read what we wrote, but here is my opinion about.

It's pretty rude and in poor taste to hold your brother as a hostage on what simply is an OS choice, and to let his fanboysim be such a point that he would be even a douche to his own brother. Windows 7 is better then XP due to the fact that it's the only OS with any support today and has proper toolset in the x64 department. Hence the reason most program developers on the side of art and games jumped board.

I can't recall how many times I tried starting up a game on my friends x64 version of XP and it would say files are missing, till we went about and downloaded manually every single DLL needed, even then it would crash around 3/4 in the game for some blighted reason.

Simply put, 7 is the next best OS, if you keep XP, you will suffer, especially if you're not a tech-savvy person who has to go around and debug every error in x64 XP.

As for reasons, let's see.

-DX11 is Win7+ exclusive.
    -It doesn't cut out on the RAM like XP did.
    -Most games are leaving behind XP (Just Cause 2 for example).
    -Better real-time toolset (EI: You can install programs to view TGA, PSD files as thumbnails and is stable).
    -Better management of the Virtual Memory.
    -Less restrictive then Vista, more streamlined the XP in data transfer (best of both worlds).
    -SM3.0 is limited to 16 texture samples unlike SM4.0 is you're making shaders.
    -ZBrush can offset more RAM even in 32 bit mode (it will load extra RAM as cache usage, as opposed to XP, which hard-locked it at 4GB).
    -Graphics card, when overlocked, are less stable on the XP x64.
    -UI is more more open to changes and the batch files functions are much easier to debug.
    -Only alternative to Vista with support and patches.
    -Has most basic functions for artist enables, meaning a Wacom tablet out the box is usable and functional, minus fancy settings, unlike XP.
    -More control over sensitive folders if you want to clean your PC from temp and junk files and ability to take directive control over the Registries to make permanent changes easily if you wish.
    -More secure since they locked out more of the 'useless' options such as the possibility to put up animated wallpapers through HTML.
    -Newer versions of Autodesk products don't like the UI and Memory management of XP too much.
  • chriszuko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chriszuko polycounter lvl 12
    1. XP is outdated, old, cut off from the future, ur brother is being stubborn and stupid.
    2. XP is outdated, old, cut off from the future, ur brother is being stubborn and stupid.
    3. XP is outdated, old, cut off from the future, ur brother is being stubborn and stupid.
    4. XP is outdated, old, cut off from the future, ur brother is being stubborn and stupid.

need I go on?

Tell ur bro to go use a mac if he is gonna act that way.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use xp at work and linux, works perfect for me!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Shut up maze, no one asked you!
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Wrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrath polycounter lvl 18
    Why not NT? That was a great outdated OS as well.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Punch him in the throat, tell him I said it's OK.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    Install windows 7 and give it the low-spec gui.
    He won't know the difference.
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    Here's my main question:

why does he not want win7? There's no reason to be against an upgrade. It wouldn't matter if win7 was a marginal upgrade over vista (it wasn't) and most people didn't switch, if you want an upgrade why does it matter to him?
    If he's got such a hard-on for xp then he should defend using a legacy OS. Does he even have reasons?

Also if he really won't budge, let him be a child and walk away. Tons of people would be willing to help. What do you have left to do?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Might as well use Windows ME, IE6, and the lowest screen resolution offered.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its time you relied on yourself (and google) like the rest of the world. It's so incredibly easy now it's almost idiot proof (even without google). If he's so blinded by XP love and so horrifically ill-informed about something as basic as to which OS to use, then he's a horrible guy to turn to for tech help, you should be thankful it is even running, which actually speaks to the "any idiot can get a system running". I really wouldn't hold anyone who shares his opinion of OS's in any high regard and you should take any tech help he dishes out with titanic grain of salt.

Or let him install WinXP 64bit (if he's even thinking of installing 32bit do him a favor and snap the disc in half).
    Then ask him why just about any game that has shipped since 2009 won't run in DX11?
    Why can't you run UDK in DX11 and use all the new wonderful DX11 features?
    Why did you bother buying a DX11 card if your POS OS won't run DX11?
    Why is it your brand new technological marvel can't do basic things like all of its friends?

Here's what I suggest doing, install win7 yourself, if it pisses him off tough shit its time to man up and take full charge of your hardware/hobby/budding career.

Now that you're left with a giant technological monster that is spinning dangerously out of balance inches from your head, you need to learn how to tame it. To get over your fear of the hardware, over the next 6mo-1yr, you should buy some of the cheapest PC parts you can find and cobble a system together yourself. Don't spend more than 500 and try your hardest to fuck it up at every turn, learn what you need to and don't be afraid to mess things up (this is why every ones first car is going to be a beater...) If you run into something you don't know how to do or the manual doesn't cover use the computer your brother build to google an answer. Yep its that easy...
  • sirenblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it's as bad as you make it, it's time you start learning the way of the computer, so that you won't have to depend on him again. o_0

Also, what counterpoints did he bring up? Kinda curious on how he would say Win7 is worse than XP.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    just install it yourself. its not difficult.
  • Eastlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just put it together yourself.

If someone tried to do that to me i would just not ever talk to them again.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    install it yourself windows 7 is the quickest installing, with the most user-friendly installer out of every version of windows or OS X.

and like someone mentioned, get some cheap parts and build a comp to learn how it all works, been building my own rigs since i was 13, nothing too it.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    tons of people still want xp and i dnt understand it
    probably because its 15 bucks XD
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I was dead set against Windows Vista and 7 in the beginning. But after getting a new pc I had to at least try Windows 7.

A few features that I like.

Libraries. This is like virtual folders. You can have a reference folder with all your pictures in. You can have these pictures on different drive, different folders, dotted all over the place. But they are always in these libraries.

You can auto change wallpapers after specified times. I have a folder with tons of wallpapers which are set to change randomnly after three hours or so.

Lots of gadgets which do all sorts things like monitor the hardware, recieve radio, with negligable performance impact.

The windows are transparent around the borders, "its amaazin".
  • firsak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then ask him why just about any game that has shipped since 2009 won't run in DX11?

Damn... That's a lot of games! I can't even count them all.
    22... I think.
    Also, that's just about every game PC market got since 2009, did I get you right? So, how many total then? 25? 26? PC gaming market kicks ass!

Yeah, that guy should really show that HUGE list of 22 games (5 or 6 of which actually benefit from DX11) to his brother. That'll convince him!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's the point of buying a DX11 card when you can't run DX11 anything?
    That's a smart move, drop a few hundred on ram and a video card he'll never use... that totally makes sense. Even if there is one DX11 game that he wants to play but can't is enough to justify having the hardware and SOFTWARE to support the game. I've upgraded PCs for less reasons than to play a game.

Did you miss the new DX11 features in UDK? What part of holy shit I can start playing with the next round of console features NOW! Want a next-next-gen job, show some amazing next-next-gen stuff. It will never be more impressive than it can be right now so I guess he should totally wait until its old hat then start working with it?

Do you think that list is going get smaller or bigger as time goes on? What about when the next round of console hardware ships and DX11 features are standard? Most of those titles don't fully embrace DX11 because the main platforms don't support it. It's the same reason a multi-platform game won't embrace hardware specific features and shoots for the lowest common denominator.

What exactly are the advantages of WinXP over Win7? I'd love to see a well thought out argument for stay with XP and dealing with all the problems.

Are you just a console fan boy trying to make a dick-ish point?
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well his argument is that it is "unnecessary."

Well why did he help me install a new proc and memory? Those were "unnecessary" as well if I were to follow his logic.

Then he claims that as my older brother it is his "responsibility" to help out his younger siblings by choosing the best option for them.

He also claims that I chose win 7 [which he won't help me install anyways] he will never speak to me again regarding computer matters

I called him a stick in the mud
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firsak wrote: »
    Damn... That's a lot of games! I can't even count them all.
    22... I think.
    Also, that's just about every game PC market got since 2009, did I get you right? So, how many total then? 25? 26? PC gaming market kicks ass!

Yeah, that guy should really show that HUGE list of 22 games (5 or 6 of which actually benefit from DX11) to his brother. That'll convince him!

Yeah, Directx 11 is not a good point for Windows 7. Microsoft may have retarded/ballsed up pc development for a while with they way they have dealt with DirectX.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    you brother will not be swayed, either go your own way, or bend to his retardwill.
    and how old are you that he sees you as incapable in making choices like this?
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm 26 and he's much older and never worked a day in his life
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So your brother is lazy, misinformed and immature.

But you're too indecisive to make your own decisions and you're somehow stuck doing what he tells you, on your own computer?

Honestly, you could have easily started this thread and said "What are the benefits to using Win7 over XP", and kept out all the bickering childish little boy stuff.

You're 26 freaking years old man. Install what you want on your own computer. Thats all there is to it.
  • firsak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark Dygert, are you talking to me?
    What's the point of buying a DX11 card when you can't run DX11 anything?
    No point at all.
    What does it have to do with this particular case? Where did the topic starter say anything about getting the latest DX11 card?

drop a few hundred on ram and a video card he'll never use...
    I can't find a single mention on DX11 video card from n88tr in this thread.

that totally makes sense.
    Making things up - that makes sense.

Did you miss the new DX11 features in UDK?
    Did the guy say he needed the new PC for UDK?

I've upgraded PCs for less reasons than to play a game.
    He didn't say anything about his reasons. And no one even asked him.
    Probably, you long standing members, know each other well. But I don't.

What exactly are the advantages of WinXP over Win7?
    I dunno.
    I'm on Mac.

Are you just a console fan boy trying to make a dick-ish point?
    No, I just made fun of your dick-ish-ly silly statement on "about any game that has shipped since 2009".
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for pointing out I'm not using a dx 11 card. In fact I'm using a ati 4770 hd. I had plans on getting a GT275 but ran out of money. Probably get one or something better at the end of this year.

I was thinking of fooling [and greatly pissing him off but I don't care about that] him and saying that i want the hardware all set up and working and i'll install xp. after all the hardware is working I'll jerk it away and install win7 myself.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Out of curiosity what is your budget and what did your brother recommend to you?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah. Do it yourself.
    If you're going to be serious about

I bought XP64 4 years ago for my then decently spec'd pc.
    I installed it once. Most everything I needed didn't run properly, or couldn't install, or otherwise was just a major PITA to do much with.

So I uninstalled it, went to xp32, delt with not having 100% of my ram available, and have been working on that ever since.

While 64bit support is much better now its geared toward OS's that are supported by their manufacturers.

Your brother is dumb for a number of reasons, but the biggest one is that by having you install XP64 he is making you more reliant on HIM for support and less able to do it yourself, or have official support channels help you.

And yes, what is the budget? I'm kinda curious as to how you fared overall on price vs performance.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I used XP64 for years, its a good OS. Honestly unless you're using an SSD (which xp64 doesn't play nice with) or want DX11 support, Win7 really isn't needed.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    WOW BUT LOOK HOW MUCH HIGHER THE RAM USAGE IS IN 7 WOW MICROSOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • keres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    Personally, I find Win7 significantly more stable than XP. I've never tried 64 bit XP, either. By the time 64 bit became popular, XP was a thing of the past. Not a good sign.

I say install Linux :> but really, Win7 for sure. I know of a variety of software that does not run on XP, even at 64 bits.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    perna wrote: »
    It's just a hell of a lot more efficient, easy to use, more stable, faster, etc etc etc....

I find Win7 less efficient (both in terms of UI and memory usage), more annoying to use, about the same stability, and I cant judge speed cause I used a HDD with XP64 and a SSD with Win7.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd like to have the hardware work and have it boot. after that i can install the os and all that other stuff

it's overwhelming to google [how to make a computer?] and i have all this hardware and if it doesn't boot i don't know where to start trouble shooting

It's like stumbling in a dark room looking for a light switch
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    I find Win7 less efficient (both in terms of UI and memory usage), more annoying to use.

Use Win7 for a year and then move back to XP, you will get the same feeling about XP ;)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I'd like to have the hardware work and have it boot. after that i can install the os and all that other stuff

it's overwhelming to google [how to make a computer?] and i have all this hardware and if it doesn't boot i don't know where to start trouble shooting

Sorry to put it so blunt, but stop being such a cry baby. Get your shit together and start building it damnit. A computer is so easy to build. there used to be a time where mounting the processor was tricky, but that's gotten even easier these days.
    The hardest part might just be hooking every motherboard cable up in the correct socket, and that's just like a big puzzle (little kids also do puzzles, they succeed).

Seriously, this topic is such a silly drama that it's giving me a headache...
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Man thats really sad -_-' no one ever told me how to put everything together... I just did it. Do it yourself and tell your brother he is a major douche bag. This problem would fit you two if you were 10... Win7 64 is great. Pointless to install XP.
  • NBLM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NBLM polycounter lvl 13
    And if your not buying everything as bulk, you also get an unmistakeable IKEA like manual how to assemble.

It's no big deal.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Just get a book from a shop or stick to one good website(or just follow the instructions with the actual components). It really is so straightforward. You just shove the cpu into those little holes, screw those bits on, plug those bits into the other things. You cant plug anything into a wrong place.

The beeps will tell you if theres a problem, if theres no beep then thats more of a clearer problem(plug it in?).
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    You've already got all the hardware, and it's plugged in inside a tower and all you need to do is turn it on and install the OS? How can you resist turning it on :D
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Why would you downgrade, I usually hear people wanting to upgrade?!? It's just stupid... it's like saying "Hey, i'm gonna get 512mb ram and a Pentium 4 processor" When you can get way more than that. This thread is mind-boggling and I hope your brother is trolling you, because there is something wrong with his brain.