Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Brandoom's thread of miracle-WIP

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
brandoom polycounter lvl 13
Hey all, I don't have one of these threads yet. So from now on I'll try post of my WIPs in here as opposed to new threads..

annnnnyway...

Here is a scene I've been slowly working on over the past few weeks. Its based on a Prince of Persia concept by David Levy (http://www.vyle-art.com/)

devylevy.jpg

and the WIP:
32224268.jpg

The view is a little wonky due to the increased field of view.. which was necessary to capture the entire scene.. I'll be re-visiting a few of the textures in the near future as well.

I'm interested in knowing what you guys think regarding both the lighting (how it compares to the concept, where I should take it, colours etc.) and the, less than sexy, sand I have on either side of the bridge to cover up some nasty seems.

And of course anything else you guys want to rip apart feel free to.

Thanks.

Replies

• Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    The most immediate thing I'd like to see adjusted to stay closer to the concept is to only have the yellow light coming from the left side of the scene. The other two critiques I would have are that the cracks on the walkway are too prominent and intense and need to be blended with another texture, like what is seen in the concept - and the scale on the wall bricks is too large, too clean, and they stick out like a sore thumb.

I know it's a WIP, so I don't mean to state the obvious if these are things you've already considered, hopefully it gives you a couple ideas. I'll be following this to watch it progress!
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Hey guys..

So I've continued to work away at this scene. I'd reallllly like to finish it off sometime soon..

wip12yw.jpg

Thoughts?

:D
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    As far as presentation goes I would probably deviate a tad bit form the concept and add in a few more planes of space, maybe a foreground object or something.

Also the epic sense of space in that concept is informed from the fact that there are human figured in it.

So you may want to compensate for the lack of that by putting some scale indicators, like articles of clothing, a sword, something a human would hold, wear, or just general sells scale.

Also your ambient dust bits should only show up in the presence of light sources. You can get this to happen by using volume particles, there are tutorials over at eat3D that can help you with that, you can even make them catch the light which looks really cool.

However if your JUST doing an image you might as well paint them in, your awareness of good presentation is a significant skill to feature and you don't need particle knowledge to showcase that.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    try making the chains a dark corroded metal if you'd like. The dark will probably stand out a lot better than what you have. The chains being so noticeable in t he concept would for sure be one of the things I'd try and push. They add nice direction to the piece.

Love this scene! Will be following!