Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Panzer IV Ausf.G

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
So I decided to go ahead and join in on the eat3d hardsurface modeling challange... and why not! between this and Witcher 2 I have my hands full during the weekend. Anyhow here is an update, crits are more than welcome. Also, some of this is place holder crap, and all the nuts, bolts, and zbush work are coming up. But the proportions should be there by now, so if you can crit on that, and any missing/cool stuff to model, I am all ears.

polycount1.jpg

Replies

• Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Overall the model looks good, but there are some very big proportion problems and the model breaks down when studying the details. One of the most glaring problems is that the shape of the turret is inaccurate. You may need to re-examine your reference, or find more accurate schematics, to make sure you get the angles correct. The iconic silhouette of the Panzer IV's turret is one of the most important shapes to get right when modeling this tank. The gun mantlet also needs work as its shape is wrong. The cupola also appears to be inaccurate, or is it based on some rare late cupola design?

pz4turretcrit.jpg

Things such as the front machine gun port, the driver's view port armor shield, size of the diamond plating on the mudguards, the front drive sprocket all appear to be wrong.

pz4crit1.jpg

Without seeing renders from different angles as well as orthographic views of the model it's hard to judge exactly how accurate it is. Having an unhealthy obsession with details is crucial in the successful modeling of such things.
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks Paul! Your absolutely right on all fronts, I needed a swift kick in the ass for being this lazy. I'll get on those issues, and the many more that I let slip through.