Home General Discussion

You Sunk My Battleship

dfacto
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dfacto polycounter lvl 18
Yeah, so there's a movie "based" on the boardgame Battleship coming out soon.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B3moWiI_J4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B3moWiI_J4[/ame]

I'm hoping the action sequences will deliver, the rest looks like crappy filler. Loose cannon hotshot, pointless love interest, daddy issues; consider the first half of the movie automatically terrible.

Also why the hell did everyone start using "Crysis 2" aliens all of the sudden. Is it all one designer working on Crysis2, TF3 and this? There are some very uncanny similarities. I'm not sure where the look originated, but it's popping up far too often now.

Replies

• cdavidson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdavidson polycounter lvl 8
    based on the board game? they running out of ideas for movies now? lol
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty sure they just say that so they can relaunch the board game as a movie tie-in and make some extra cash.
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    I dont know if it based off the game, maybe just an unlucky name choice? Who knows though.

This looks like they ripped from Rock'em Sock'em Robots.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei5l3r1dV4I[/ame]
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Real Steel is based on a book, though I guess that said book could have been inspired by the toy originally.

Battleships look... odd. It would have made more sense to make it a cartoonishly over the top war movie than something with what are presumably aliens.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    The only people who could have done this right is Pixar...that ship sailed.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're supposed to put on your sunglasses first.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Thought it was one of the joke 'take the piss' movies that are thrown onto youtube...

Cg looks nice though.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Did the aliens just shoot...."pegs" at the Battleship????
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Yea whoever desinged the aliens for crysis should be fairly proud considering how many times its been blatantly ripped off by now...

I don't know what to make of this trailer at all...
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    ErichWK wrote: »

Yes... yes they did. :poly141:
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. Our generation man. Fanservice Panderthon.

There are a lot of movies in the re-works as well. Robocop 1. I think Total Recall but i'm not sure. Theres quite a few. Which in my oppinion if its worth re-making then it doesn't need to be remade. And if it could really gain something from a remake then its probably not a movie that was ever really worth re-making in the first place.

With out looking around the interent. What board game movie will be next!!!

Shoots and Ladders?
    Candy Land?
    Mouse Trap!!! I have my money on that. A Mouse Trap movie.

BTW, Can you be kicked out of a theater, or even a town, if you throw your own feces at the screen?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Oh Liam....why....whyyyyyy!?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8wT4sFKOT94QmGvmPc6qFR-CVwq4Y5Pp9Z3mXH7QU4cO0f6OFaw
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    You're supposed to put on your sunglasses first.
    Sorry, kinda flooded with work, didn't have time to dive into more detailed and humorous posting, ah well, still loads of time for the movie to come out and be shot like a fish in a barrel.
    ErichWK wrote: »
    I prefer to think of them more as "ship-liners".
    rv_el wrote: »

There are a lot of movies in the re-works as well. Robocop 1. I think Total Recall but i'm not sure. Theres quite a few. Which in my oppinion if its worth re-making then it doesn't need to be remade. And if it could really gain something from a remake then its probably not a movie that was ever really worth re-making in the first place.

With out looking around the interent. What board game movie will be next!!!

Shoots and Ladders?
    Candy Land?
    Mouse Trap!!! I have my money on that. A Mouse Trap movie.

BTW, Can you be kicked out of a theater, or even a town, if you throw your own feces at the screen?

My money is on Monopoly.
    Rayph wrote: »
    Yea whoever desinged the aliens for crysis should be fairly proud considering how many times its been blatantly ripped off by now...

I don't know what to make of this trailer at all...

What about the Matrix designers? Them robots be the grand-daddies yo!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monopoly is definitely already in development. Ridley Scott is set to direct. Really.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    From the dark streets comes Hungry hungry Hippo's

Rated R
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Monopoly is definitely already in development. Ridley Scott is set to direct. Really.

Didn't it come out already? Something with Michael Douglas and Shia "Whoa whoa whoawhoahey whoa HEYwhoa wha uh whoa HEYHEYHEY" LaBeouf?

; )

What about the Matrix designers? Them robots be the grand-daddies yo!

A lot of those designs in the Matrix were heavily, heavily inspired by H.R. Giger and Masamune Shirow. They even mentioned as much in the commentary for the first film, when the nursemaid robot enters the scene in the powerplant.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA02xxwaOH8[/ame]

iam i in the wrong side if i like it a bit?
  • Cexar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    Is it only me who see the endless possibility that Bloodhound Gang's The Bad touch could be featured here?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xat1GVnl8-k&feature=player_detailpage#t=124s

It's a long shot but hey, so is the plot for this movie.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18

There are a lot of movies in the re-works as well. Robocop 1. I think Total Recall but i'm not sure. Theres quite a few. Which in my oppinion if its worth re-making then it doesn't need to be remade.

Yes, sadly total recall is in the (re)making, starring that douche bag Colin Farrel.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    HAHAHAHA what just happened? only a joint can save this movie.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 wrote: »
    Yes, sadly total recall is in the (re)making, starring that douche bag Colin Farrel.
    I don't mind that one so much. Much like the Conan movie, while Arnie's Total Recall is loads of fun, it's a long, long way from the original source material. I'd be quite interested to see them have a crack at a more accurate representation.

On board game movies, I read elsewhere that alongside Monopoly, there are also a Candy Land movie and new adaption of Clue/Cluedo on the way.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Credit is, where credit is due, it takes a certain amount of 'lets just bloody have a stupid movie on a popular board game idea' work out.

Aliens which have crashed and are damaged, waiting to be picked up, get knotted by humans, in last ditch effort, aliens see humans as hostiles and send out the EMP to blind them and give them a fighting chance.

Also, scared humans might retreat and bring in the bigger guns, they tie them down in a scaled local warfare.

From a certain perspective, if they keeps the plot point simple, and follow the simple formula, you have to give credit that this is, for the layman's term, the only way Battleships movies would make ANY sense. I mean if they pitted humans vs. humans, it would be all sneak attacks followed by ideological dicotomies about human nature and what monsters we have become, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Plus, Battleships also had a certain level of military hardware era in it, another Pirates of the Caribbean chase wouldn't work.

However, the blatant attempt of not even trying to partially disguise the name is what really pulls it out. If they made small nods here and there, kinda like what Aliens vs. Cowboys did with Gold, Foreign powers and Natives, Battleships would have been a blast to watch, I'm pretty sure, with your usual savvy movies goers explaining how this was a hidden gem which plays on the board game in the only way possible.

As I said, it can be fun, as long as they keep the plot simple and CG-fest the hell out of it. I don't need another case of "Dr. McDreamy working with Megatron" to complicate my life when I'm in for the ships, aliens and CG.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18

Jackblade. Its not really that I don't trust you. I have no reason to distrust you. But I had to look. I thought "isn't that the guy that did Alien?" Like. Really. Ridley Scott? So I just had to run a search and see for myself. The first thing on Google is like "Worst Idea Ever.. Ridley Scott to do Monopoly movie"

Also Jackblade.. Colin Ferrel? AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AAAAHH!!!!

I did like him in Horrible Bosses though.

But man. Original Total Recall is amazing and timeless.

Oh wait. Does Colin play Quato? :)

"I got 5 kids to feed!" "Thats why I choose Outback Steak House"
    *Grinder makes transformer-like sounds*
    No midgets because everything is PC now.
    *Inception Horn* during the towns no-oxygen scene.

Walks out of theater

Can't top this. You can't top it. Not with how movies are done nowadays.
    MIDGET_HOOKER.jpg
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I get the hate for crappy movies such as Battleship but I really don't understand the opposition to remakes. You still have the old version of the film to go back to if you don't like the new one, it's not like it erases the older one or ruins it. Hell you might even like the new ones :)
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ They announced this movie a couple years ago.

Rihanna said she's starring in it, also.

It could be a good one for the kids. Boardgame movies don't have to suck!! :P

Jumanji.jpg
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    I get the hate for crappy movies such as Battleship but I really don't understand the opposition to remakes. You still have the old version of the film to go back to if you don't like the new one, it's not like it erases the older one or ruins it. Hell you might even like the new ones :)

No actual hate here. I just like making fun of stuff like all the machinery in a movie sounding like Transformers now. And the Inception Horn. lol!

Some of these movies are pretty far from hate and i have hopes for them - especially robocop. But its more along the lines of some of them seem like money and effort would be best placed into something new.

This ties back into the Board game movies too. I can't tell people what to do with their money and time. No way. Its all good. But i'm still gonna joke around about it and have fun with it because I love new movies like District 9 and I kinda have to roll my eyes at Battleship Board game The Movie. Monopoly The Movie. And all the remakes.

Whats good is good. And i'll be open minded about it. But i'm still gonna say that we've run out of ideas! :)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    they already made a movie out of the Twister game

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1467304/
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Which in my oppinion if its worth re-making then it doesn't need to be remade. And if it could really gain something from a remake then its probably not a movie that was ever really worth re-making in the first place.

huh? bad movies or movies that weren't faithfull to the source are exactly the kind of movies that should be remade. John Carpenter's The Thing was a remake - he chose to make a movie that was true to the source.

Total Recall is getting remade, I haven't read much on it and haven't read the original Philip K. Dick story yet but I'm sure the Schwarzenegger movie was no where near the mind f**k that the Dick story is.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Aliens that move on a grid brilliant! Lets fight them by conforming to their rigid battle structure, gorilla warfare never works... Move us to E7."

Followed by...

"You sunk my..."
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    "Aliens that move on a grid brilliant! Lets fight them by conforming to their rigid battle structure, gorilla warfare never works... Move us to E7."

Followed by...

"You sunk my..."

I bet it will involve something to do with the aliens being blind.

Or maybe their both blind.

How can anyone watch a film like that.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    huh? bad movies or movies that weren't faithfull to the source are exactly the kind of movies that should be remade. John Carpenter's The Thing was a remake - he chose to make a movie that was true to the source.

Total Recall is getting remade, I haven't read much on it and haven't read the original Philip K. Dick story yet but I'm sure the Schwarzenegger movie was no where near the mind f**k that the Dick story is.

I must be thinking a re-make of a movie, not a reinterpretation of the source material.

When i'm told about re-makes i'm always told about them as "remakes of the film"

So like Robocop The Movie is being remade, or Total Recall the Movie is being remade. So I imagine that its basically like the new Halo remake. Where its literally an uprez and modernization.

So basically in my original statement, if a movie is worth being remade (meaning it is a great movie to begin with) then you shouldn't remake it because its probably still great and doesn't benifit from a CGI Quato. or a CGI Ed209. Here is an good example: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqeOKkgsiLo[/ame]

Justin: If it is a re-envisionment of the original source material then yes I can see a reason for that.

On another note. I just don't like it when somebody says "Have you seen Total Recall" and you have to state "Which one" to which the answer "The good one, ofcourse" can spawn needless and endless arguments. The Thing is considered a timeless movie. So now we might have a fun time with our little "Which one"... If the first one was botched then a "remake" is awesome. A "re-imagination of the source material" is probably always cool. But a remake of an already good movie can just be annoying. I'm -not- hating on it... I mean look at all the awesome Batman reboots! Some great re-envisionments out there!
    But at some point it becomes a cluster-fuck.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh my......

Colin Farrell is also doing the Fright Night re-make, which could work if they keep it ridiculous and gory like the original, but the trailers so far look pretty douche-y.
    I'm pretty against a remake of The Thing, but at the same time the original is just so fucking boring.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    What about copyright as well? Its a stupid question, yeah, but they are basically rewriting over this ip. So they can ignore, copyright when it suits them? Or its ok when they do it, but not when anyone else does?
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/universal/thething/

is a prequel/prelude to John Carpenter's The Thing according to the description.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Colin Farrell is also doing the Fright Night re-make, which could work if they keep it ridiculous and gory like the original, but the trailers so far look pretty douche-y.

I'm only seeing that one 'cause David Tennant's in it.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's not really a problem when you remake 30 year old movies. But they're "rebooting" Spiderman and Superman. For fuck's sake, those are both less than a decade old! Wasn't Hulk enough?
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    dfacto wrote: »
    I think it's not really a problem when you remake 30 year old movies. But they're "rebooting" Spiderman and Superman. For fuck's sake, those are both less than a decade old! Wasn't Hulk enough?

Yeah, I actually have no care for a Spiderman Reboot. They can do it all they want but i'm not really interested. Basically hat I said is they are gonna have to pull pretty damn hard to get my attention. I'm probably more into Battleship movie than Superman and Spiderman tbh! :).

They really botched it with Spiderman 3...... Speaking of cluster fucks :)

I mean are they going to remake Inception 10 years from now? hehe.