Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Protoss Zealot [Baking tips at page 3]

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
motenai polycounter lvl 18
LAST UPDATE...

wip_12_a.jpg
wip_12_b.jpg

Hi, i started this project posting on WAYWO thread, now i decided to move it here to get some more opinions from you polycounters.
I'm working on this Protoss with the idea to realize it with nextgen MMO specs...
At the moment i've done the main body, and a rough blockout of the heavy armor...about this, i'm kinda undecided on the 2 different proportions i've done...A is shorter, i like it naked but with the armor looks too chunky...B gives me the opposite feeling...good with armor but maybe too tall and slim without....considering that probably most of the time u stay with the armor i might go with B....ideas?

wip_03.jpg

MOAR psy-jedi-blades!!!!

Here is a repost of the finished body sculpt
wip_02.jpg

Replies

• wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Hey nice work, just wanted to say really good proportions, Great details.

if you wish to have a few pointers
    - the head would benefit from a stronger chin

- make sure the silhouette is really strong, readable. For now the head kind of merges in with the shoulder pads.

Thats is all, looking foward to updates :) : )
  • Reese'sPieces
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks really cool. What program are you using?
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Yes :) Another Starcraft 2 model you're instantly an inspiration, great models by the way.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Man. Best protoss model ever.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    badass! I think you should go with the taller, leaner version, B. Could even increase the arm length some too!
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    great work I also feel that B is the best of the two

keep it up this is looking great
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    just to be awkward I like the legs of A but with the torso scale of B and the head of A, great stuff so far though man.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    I like it so far, make the arms longer, especially the forearm. Maybe add some mass to aductor muscles, but would probably go against protoss proportions.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank u guys for all your feedbacks, i went for the B version making some tweaks on it, so now the legs are slightly shorter, let's say half way between A and B, so that it doesn't look too tall...soo i'll post some rework of the armor ;)
  • Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to agree with Psyk0 about the arms, he doesn't look lanky enough to me.

Great work though, cant wait to see more progress!
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, first a few answers i forgot to give previously:

@ Reese's Pieces: thank u man, for not i'm only using zbrush for the hires model...later 3dsmax for retopo and bake.

@ maximumsproduction: well for the armor i used zbrush itself as i did for the body... the process for a rought armor isn't that complicated, there is a function in zbrush that allow u to extract new sub-object from an existing one...so i quickly extracted each piece of armor from the body of the zealot and remodeled them quickly...zbrush is pretty awesome and quick for concepting directly in 3d... good luck with ur terran marine ;)

Ok now i've got a small update to submit to u guys, torso armor and shoulder-pads (they both still need a detail and scratches pass)
    i have to admit that i'm finding the armor modeling process a little more complicated than i expected, so i would like to know from u guys how would approach this?
    For now i'm going with the "extract each single plate" process, which is quite effective but a very time-consuming. (By the way i've seen this process from the hard-surface tut of Mike Jensen on eat3d.com)
    Any better idea on how to proceed with the armor?

wip_04.jpg
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, looking nice. for workflow, im really not comfortable enough with zbrush to comment too much. For me id be retopoing a lot of that in maya/max/topogun, and start up on sub-d for it.

Although your not getting too much of that "zbrush hard surface" feel. That lumpy look that I see sometimes.
    The Protoss art style has such a super clean smooth/sharp hard surface look, iv always liked it. keep it up!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    damn- shapes are looking reeeeeal nice
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I've been using the Extract/Trim technique as well. The biggest downside is the amount of time and dense meshes really add up. He had an earlier tutorial out where you break it into chunks and really polish the crap out of it that you may want to look up if you're interested in staying inside Zbrush.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's quite a while since a didn't post any progress, but slowly my protoss is going on ;)
    Here the last progresses, still working on the armor, right now i changed my approach to the hard-surface parts, working some base mesh in 3dsmax and then adding all the details in zbrush, i find it quite more practical and quicker than the previous approach.
    Plus, i've decided to go for a more stylized scratches style like in the forearm and leg armor pieces...
    I've also highlighted the parts that are gonna glow later (just for fun ;)

Critiques needed

wip_05.jpg
  • Jernej
  • Tiraldric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking phenomenal! Keep it up!
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Nerf Bat Ninja: I see your point and thank you for making me notice it, i wasactually trying to make the material look like in this reference picture ( HERE) but i recognize i kinda went too far with it...i'm gonna tweak the damaged once all the pieces are finished, considering that i had planned to re sculpt also the damages in the shoulders and torso armor :) nice crit
    p.s. i love the arcade style of your site ;)
  • vegatakeshi88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic look on your zealot. What softwares are you using?
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Super nice zealot sculpt, love it!! :D
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Latest update looks great! Keep it up! :)
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    you want to put your scratches as if they where random and have reason for being there. It seems like they where just scattered inttentionaly also they should be varied more, as in its the same scratch every where and it looks like they where mirrored.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Probably the best attempt at this I've seen so far, I love what your doing with the armor. Can't wait to see this baked down to a low and all textured up!

Whats your process for the braids?
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks beautiful!

Reminds me of the Space pirates from prime 3. A waaay better version though :)
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for comments and critiques...much appreciated!

@vegatakeshi88: at the moment i'm using 90% Zbrush and 3dsmax for basemeshes, after the hi-res is finished it's gonna be mainly 3dsmax for baking and photoshop for texturing...the usual softwares i think ;)

@RJBonner: yeah i'm gonna definitely tweak the scratches at a certain point, they look too uniform in too many areas...having in mind a MMO character anyway the armor cannot contain too many unique damages, but more a feeling of "used item"

@Gannon: thank you ;) for the main big braid i did a set of cilinders, sculpted them a bit, and them bent and twisted them inside 3dsmax, then back to zbrush. For the small braids they are just made with zspheres and then sculpted, but i'm not so happy with the result so i might approach them again at a certain point.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Hey bud. Dunno if you've seen this.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/community/conceptart/

Starting at page 9-10 they have detailed armor concetps.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GREAT! i didn't know it, thank u a lot LRoy ;)
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, finally i would say i've finished designing all the armor pieces.
    I've removed all the damages i've done before, and i'm going to do a whole pass of damages now that everything is blocked.
    After that a few more adjustments and i'm finally ready to go lowpoly! I can't wait! :P

wip_06.jpg
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    This looks badass, i like the hair very much.
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    wow this is looking great
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Cool stuff so far, I love the protoss :) You must construct additional pylons!
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys...
    I kinda need an opinion on how would u approach damages...earlier some people in this thread told me that the damages i did (in the previous image) were too generic, and i actually agreed with them...
    Now i'm thinking how i can damage again this armor, but keeping in mind a few things:
    1) this is thought as a model for a MMO, so damages shouldn't be heavy, but just a kind of aging to convey an idea of "used" armor
    2) the pieces of the armor will be simmetrical (excluding the very central pieces that will be mapped unique. So the damage cannot be too much unique otherwise it will be easy to notice the simmetry.

Ideas? :)
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    motenai wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments guys...
    I kinda need an opinion on how would u approach damages...earlier some people in this thread told me that the damages i did (in the previous image) were too generic, and i actually agreed with them...
    Now i'm thinking how i can damage again this armor, but keeping in mind a few things:
    1) this is thought as a model for a MMO, so damages shouldn't be heavy, but just a kind of aging to convey an idea of "used" armor
    2) the pieces of the armor will be simmetrical (excluding the very central pieces that will be mapped unique. So the damage cannot be too much unique otherwise it will be easy to notice the simmetry.

Ideas? :)

In that case I'd go for normal wear and tear. Dirt in the recessed areas (texture) and beat up all the sharp edges on his armor a bit. Some areas are going to get more beat up than others due to location. I'd damage his wrist bracers more than other areas. Since he's using them to attack very often. More dirt on his feet maybe than his chest.

Mostly i'd say think up a scenario/story for every type of damage might want to add and think of the chances of how much that event might happen to decide how much and what type of damage to add.

If you think about the star craft universe you can imagine that a protoss might be more likely to have zerg style scratches or chips in his armor than damage caused by Terran weapons since the zerg have destroyed Auir.. there probably aren't many places to get new armor from anymore so any damage sustained during the escape from Auir would probably be either patched up or not yet repaired.

btw, great model so far :) I'm looking forward to seeing it textured!

EDIT: Oh, just realized something, your old damage patterns in areas look like the oldschool protoss striping. http://images.wikia.com/starcraft/images/9/91/Zealot_SC1_Art3.jpg The old protoss had two tone armor so thats always a thought when texturing too :)
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank u a lot for your reply Artquest, that definitely helped me...and by the way u are a living Starcraft-pedia :D
    So according to the "zergish damage" theoria, i've attempted some damages on one piece, and i want some opinions before going with the same style on the whole armor.
    I've got only some fear that at mid distance, most of the tiny scratches won't be visible :\

wip_06_b.jpg
  • JoshC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Me likey :D

I would try though if most of the smaller scratches are disappearing at mid-ish distances to accent them a wee bit more but for the most part it looks great. That is one sexy greave.
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my what happened to this thread. I had it saved here and just found it again. I wanna see the finished one!
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally i managed to finish the hi-res version in zbrush!
    The big boy is READY FOR BAKE!!! (as soon as i finish the low poly version ;)

wip_07.jpg
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    Wow some hug strides on this piece. The damage is looking much better and more realistic for sure. Keep up the good work!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Cool stuff! Glad to see you're still going at it- it'll be nice to see this pieced together. Might be neat to add some kind of scar or something on the body. With that exposed flesh and a zillion scrathes on the armor- I'd expect at least one blow to have made it's mark by now.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ye it's a good idea, i was thinking about something like that cause indeed it doesn't make sense that his skin is so super-clean...thanks for suggestion ;)
  • konraden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konraden polycounter lvl 8
    Exceptionaly nice model!
    Cant wait for a the finished textured version!
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :D Love this model Protoss are my favourite
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baking in progress...next one is the armor

wip_08_a.jpg
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bake is finally done...i'm quite happy about it.
    Here a max viewport grab.

wip_08_b.jpg
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Really nice & clean bake, I don't see any areas that look too faceted.
    What's your tri-count total currently?
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome the only thing catching my eye is that cylindrical armor piece on his bicep, I would try to re-bake that one testing what cage setting works best, It's looking muddy to me. From what I've seen posted around cylinders are a pain in the 'A'.

I would have said the hair too but that's just being picky.

Otherwise this is freaking kick ass!

I would have also added some scaring to that outer leg in the backside image. my .02
  • chaosblade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking really awesome! The bake came out beautifully. more wireframes please and what's the final tri count?
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the comment guys

@ artstream & chaosblade: the final polycount is around 18k triangles, a little high maybe, but i wanted the model to keep a good silouette without showing edge pass too much. Anyway down i've posted the wireframe ;)

@ $!nz: you're right, i didn't notice that little paticular. It's probably due to not enough roundness in the low poly version. For the Hair instead i've tried a few low poly solution but unfortunately the closest to the hires model would have needed to many polygons in my opinion, so i had to compromise a bit.

wip_08_b_wire.jpg
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Wow your bake looks amazing!! First time I saw it I thought it was the high poly. Would you be willing to go over your workflow to let us mere mortals know how you achieved such a perfect bake?