Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monster Sculpt, Need Some Input

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
jocose polycounter lvl 11
Hey everyone. I've worked my first headbust in zbrush up to a certain point, and at the moment I'm stuck. I keep working on this a little every day but I can't figure out how to justify/integrate a lot of the details on here, and I'm looking for some advice.

49444152.jpg

70765817.jpg

74080180.jpg

At this point i've also concluded I need to retopo this because the geo is kind of a mess.

After I do that i need to resolve for the various surface types that make up parts of the model; scales, thin skin, thick skin, fattty, hard surface, and so on.

I've tried various things but each surface seams like its own challenge to sculpt, and none of it ever really seams to fits together.

I was just curious how others aprouched a model at this stage, do you focus on things more in thier qualitiave terms like the soft and hard edges, or do you try to conceptually break it down in terms of the creatures evolution past history. Maybe both?

I know its not procudral and I'm not looking for a step by step just some ideas to give some new directions to explorer.

Also any advice on getting things to read like fat, scales, and bone would helpful.

Thanks guys.

Replies

• dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    i like what I see!!!
  • mxb8924
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I a noobie and the strongest sense in terms of sculpting, but the concept of the monster looks cool. I thought id just say that much. It has a lot of character.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks a bunch for the input. Been working in a vacuum up until posting so I'm glad you like what I have so far, very encouraging.

If anyone has any thoughts/advice on taking this further please let me know, otherwise I'm going to come up with a game plan after I retopo tomorrow. I'll post progress here as I go :)
  • pmcgowan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks mildly reminiscent of Admiral Akbar, post eye reduction surgery. It's a trap!
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I had another pass at this today, went a little nuts. I am also going to try and do some more speed sculpt to overcome my tendancy to slave away from HOURS on the same project, there are pros to this method, but much stand to be gained from learning to be quick on my feet.

evilhead.jpg

evilhead2.jpg

Thoughts and feedback are welcome, better, worse, a mess, and why?
  • TylerFluharty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TylerFluharty polycounter lvl 7
    Well you seem to have a good shape going.

I'd recommend just flattening those eyes and creating new ones as a separate subtool.
    For the mouth I'd mask off the upper lip area and move the low lip up a tad. It'll actually look like the mouth is meant to open then.

For brushes, do you use the Dam_Standard brush at all? I kind of looks like you are just using the standard most of the time. If you aren't using the Dam_standard give it a shot.

For your skin surfaces I'd download some alphas or make some yourself then just experiment. I prefer using the Standard brush on Drag n Drop and placing skin details that way.
    Here is a good vid to show you how this is done: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4prbDER9nGY[/ame]

Looking forward to seeing more progress.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks man, great advice, i've gotten bogged down at work but i'm going to get back to this soon.

I'll post an update when I do
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    28302682.jpg

roundedjaw.jpg

crazydude.jpg

First two are the same, but from different angles, the last is with a sharper jaw. I've been staring at it too long to judge the aesthetic of the jaw so I'm taking a break, but if anyone has an opinion would love to hear it.