Home Unreal Engine

Physics assets reacting with wind ?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
Hey there !

I'm just playing with some physics asset at the moment following this tutorial :

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Physics_Asset_Creation_1.html

It's working perfectly when I'm shooting the object, but I can't figure out how to make this physic asset reacting to wind (or other force that could make it moves when not shot, like there's wind in the scene)

Any idea on that ?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    As far as I can tell there's not unified wind system in the UDK that ties into the physics. There are wind emitters but they're almost certainly made specifically to work with the InteractiveFoliageActors and nothing else.

What kind of object are you trying to have affected by wind?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    wind isnt just for foliage. it simply works with foliage because the materials for the foliage have references to the wind actors in the material. what you could do is sort of fake it.

if you've got each of your objects hard rigged to a bone (as in the tutorial, the lamp itself has a bone and maybe youve got chains or something that each have a bone), you may be able to set them as cloth in the skeletalmesh editor. so long as they are all rigged comletely to 1 bone (as in there is no inbetween strength on the skin), then they should just be able to move freely. and you can set up wind properties there
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
  • Mackin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mackin polycounter lvl 12
    I've just discovered a wealth of tutorials on your website! I will be sure to give them a go when I have some free time. For everyone else reading this who hasn't yet looked, go see!
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    oniram, it is possible to have verts set to an in between strength for cloth weighting.
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    This is something that I was going to be writing a tutorial on because I've never came across it on the net anywhere but you can make physics actors react to wind by adding a NxGenericForceFieldBox to your level, it can be found in the actor classes tab.

I'f your interested you can also set up tornados with the radial version
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks Grimmstrom, exactly what I was looking for !!