Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old Warehouse

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Sliterin polycounter lvl 11
Hi Everyone it will be my first real thread on polycount, so I say hello to everyone. Now I will present you first part to my scene called Old Warehouse. First part is an destroyed pillar. I did it using 3dsmax, Zbrush and Photoshop. It have 821 tris in this more then half for "wires". Textures are 2048 x 1024 but textures on the bottom have 1024 x 512, because 2048 x 1024 files will be loading to much time. I look forward to your criticism.

95503587.png
78038032.png
68929389.png
64025230.png
sculptg.jpg

siatkam.th.jpg
diffuseu.th.jpg
normal3u.th.jpg
speculart.th.jpg

Replies

• Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    The 4th pic, the missing chucks seem to rounded off or sliced out rather than looking broken.
  • wasabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the edges are still too sharp or it could be your normal map...
  • Sliterin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive wrote: »
    eat3d?
    Nope I only use eat3d picture as a some what I want to do then I do it by myself. You can compare my work with Eat3D Old Pillar and you can only say same, are this is the pillar and it have wires outgoing from inside.
    Wonkey wrote: »
    The 4th pic, the missing chucks seem to rounded off or sliced out rather than looking broken.
    Ye maybe I should give there more geometry, I will do it on next project.
    wasabi wrote: »
    I think the edges are still too sharp or it could be your normal map...

I like that edges, and I don't wanna change them.
  • Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The damaged parts seems a bit blobby to me. Also you really should fix the parts wonkey told you about. Whats the plan for the scene? any concepts or references?
  • Sliterin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stertman wrote: »
    The damaged parts seems a bit blobby to me. Also you really should fix the parts wonkey told you about. Whats the plan for the scene? any concepts or references?

concretew.jpg
    Maybe it's haven't enough sharp places, but I don't wanna backtrack same about parts about what Wonkey told.

I have idea, but now I think it's not a good idea :(. Do you have any idea ? :)
    47723215.jpg
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    The graffiti will be good seeing as I can't decipher your handwriting. You probably should pick up the eat3d tutorial though, I think it will definitely help you out with that asset.
  • Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its your call, but atm it looks like your concrete is melting. If you are going to keep working on a whole scene i would just step back and fixk it up quickly. It wont take to much to fix it up. You could keep your textures and uv and just sharpen up the damages. The siluette could be fixet by adding just another edgeloop and pulling it out a bit.

That room seems like a pretty nice environment to try out. would need some variation on your pillars though.
  • Sliterin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I redone some part of sculpt, full texture and I gave more polys to the major mesh. If I have any mistakes there I don't want to go back, because I'm tired to doing same part many times :p. Results:
    94345337.jpg
    51524052.jpg
    27012084.jpg
    23666858.jpg

5sculpt.jpg
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    very nice pillar indeed, but u`d better start scene layout first and make all (or most) of your objects in rough form and populate the scene with them ;)

Refining sculpt and textures right from the first asset is dangerous to loose global scope and waste too much time on one single asset when its polished look is not that important actually.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Sliterin wrote: »
    I redone some part of sculpt, full texture and I gave more polys to the major mesh. If I have any mistakes there I don't want to go back, because I'm tired to doing same part many times :p.

So you'd rather settle for a mediocre looking pillar that's going to be repeated throughout your scene?

Here's the major issue you have - you are not getting the hard edge on the concrete damage. There is no water in here, there is nothing to slowly erode the edges.

You need to take the hPolish brush and run it along the outside of your damage to firm up the crack, or run a pinch brush around the edge - right now you've got it soft and that DOES NOT HAPPEN.

look at the reference you posted - see how the original outer surface is flat and has a sharp line differentiating it between it and the soft, rocky innards? You need that line, right now it looks like it's melted and that doesn't happen unless there is serious water erosion (not the kind a dripping pipe would cause).

if you do something wrong several times and then refuse to do it right, you've learned nothing.