Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Landscape Issues

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
I'm having some troubles with the new landscape editor, and I've got some questions.

I'm trying to make a blockout with the landscape editor, and when im done sculpting it..can i export it as an .obj so I can build blockout props ontop of it?

Do materials only work on the landscape editor based off a heightmap? Or can you texture blend on a custom landscape made in UDK?

Here's what I've done so far:
I'm using a basic material based off the udk documentation.http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LandscapeMaterials.html
348q1r8.jpg
nxnznl.jpg
Mainly, I'm having troubles with putting a material on the landscape.

The problem I'm having is when I plug in the material, the landscape just turns black.
Like this:
20keih5.jpg
At first, I expected the material to apply to the landscape and the textures would change depeding on the height/angle of the landscape.
208wvn9.jpg

So what am I doing wrong? lol

Replies

• Steen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steen polycounter lvl 16
    I was running into the same problem last night and your post inspired me to look into it again. Under target layer in the Landscape Edit panel you need to add layers that correspond to the nodes in the material you made. Just click the edit radio button, type the name that goes with the node (ie. Cliff or Dirt etc.), then click the plus button. Do this for each texture. Now you can select the layers and paint your textures onto the terrain. Hope that made sense!
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh hey look at that! It worked man, thanks a bunch!

Now is there any way for me to export the landscape as an obj to get it to 3ds Max?
    I need to build a blockout on top of it in max!
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *bump*

Does anyone know if you can export a landscape as an obj from udk?
    I checked everywhere and couldn't find an answer.
  • Steen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steen polycounter lvl 16
    Glad I could help. I've got no idea about exporting that. I have a feeling it's something that is meant to be used only in engine, with it's dynamic triangulation and such. I do believe you can create something that you can import as a landscape. That's probably the route you need to take. That, or do your blocking in UDK.
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackalope polycounter lvl 11
    ive exported terrain as an obj, but its been like a year. I just selected the terrain and then there should be an export option somewhere in file.
    Sorry about the vaugeness, but i haven't done it in awhile, and i don't have a copy installed right now.
  • Steen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steen polycounter lvl 16
    It looks like the July UDK has added some new features to landscape. It mentions exporting in the press release. Might be what you're looking for!