Home Unreal Engine

Cylindrical gameplay issues...

Hey guys,

I am sorry if the question has already been asked, I did some research and found nothing except some rumors about a PlayerSpidering thing in UT2004 that could help me. But I do have UT2004 and can't find any Spider related thing within it.

So, here's my problem : To apply to a Game Design university, I have to fulfill a portfolio requirement test.
A quick explanation with the essential would be that I have to make a remake of Pac-Man, with my own ideas, my own characters, gameplay, etc.

I have the whole idea, but some issues in my knowledge of UDK to realize this idea.

The thing I'm struggling the most with is the gameplay part. In my idea, the level is a cylinder, and the player moves inside the cylinder (against its surface).

Here's a quick draft I made to try to explain my issue about the camera (that's not the issue I have right now but I still have not fixed it) :
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/unled1ynb.jpg/

At this point, my idea is separated in two parts, and I cannot find how to realize any of them.

First idea : vertical gameplay, the level would be like in the picture, moving on platforms. I don't think this idea respects the original game, we have to jump to go one floor above and fall to go one floor below.
Issues : -I don't know how to restrain the player moves into a cylindrical area (except using invisible walls).
-I've been thinking about using camera-based controls, but I cannot find anything about it.

Second idea : horizontal gameplay, the level would be rotated by 90 degrees on the X-axis or Y-axis. I think this idea respects more the original game, since Pac-Man did not have to jump to go up. It was a simple maze.
Issues : -Gravity. How to make the player being able to move on the whole cylinder ? (found the PlayerSpidering rumors but not the script)
-Camera-based controls ? Would look better with an up, left, right, down movement limits.

Does anybody have any idea how I could realize one (or both) of these ideas, please ?

Thank you in advance, have a nice day.

P.S. : Sorry for my bad English, I am French.

Replies

• feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Well the most important question I have for you is: Can you program?

If the answer is yes, then you're in the wrong place. Try the UDK community forums instead. Polycount is mostly artist centric. While we have technical UDK forums they're mostly for things that are related to visual things.

If the answer is no, then you are still in the wrong place but you have a long hard road ahead of you. No one is going to be able to guide you through the process of taking the idea in your head and turning it into a game.

There seems to be a common mis-conception that making games in the UDK is easy enough that any amateur with no experience with programming can make any game he desires with it. Yes, the UDK is power and, yes, it's free. But you still need to know what you're doing, it's not automagic.

On top of that, if you have no experience in code you might be better off trying to make a game with Flash. I've found Flash much more rewarding. The UDK has TONS of complex functionality which you wont need but will still have to understand to make a simple game. With Flash you can mock up a simple idea really quickly and there actually ARE tutorials that will help you, step-by-step, make a game in Flash even if you've never programmed before.

Good luck!
  • NothingHappens
    Hi, thank you for answering.

Yes, I can program (C, C++ and Java). I am not a pro, but I can. (Can I program specifically for the UDK ? No. I don't know anything about the Unreal Script stuff. But that's why there are the docs)

I thought this could be done using the Unreal Kismet (for the camera-based controls, by example)

Sorry for mistaking Polycount for a full Game Design community, I forgot Polycount is only about visual. (even though it is obvious. =/ )

Thank you again, and sorry for that.