Home Technical Talk

3DS Max Qualified Normals

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
So I'm testing these things out a bit again, see more here:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79266

Thing is, they just don't work for me (or Pedro) in both 2011 and 2012.

We both set the INI setting, have a little cube with 1 smoothing group, and it just doesn't work regardless of the ini setting and regardless of what material/shader. Even with regular Hardware display it doesn't work! TychoVII in that thread managed to do it, but i can't...
The only thing that does work, is 3Point's modifier with their shader, but strangely, in my case, the toggle in the shader is ignored and it's always on... weird.

So anyway, anybody else care to test a bit too?
Here's a rar with pedro's cube and normalmap (don't be angry i'm leaking your box model, pedro :x) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12093849/QualifiedNormalstest.rar
There's also a script in there that will tell you if the INI setting is on and allow you to toggle it without having to edit the file manually.

Please post your findings!

Replies

• leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    not much luck overall here, installed hotfix (max2011 64bit), ran the script and installed the latest versions of all shaders

box.png
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    +1 to Raven, same results, I can't get them to work for the life of me.

Also, the RTT Normal shows it off even worse.

EDIT: Also, the 3Point Quality modifier doesn't change anything for me.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If i use the 3ps modifier the model looks good with both 3pshader and xoliul.

But i mean, it shouldn't be necessary to use the modifier since the qualified normals are activated :S
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    OK, I'm confused now, what exactly am I supposed to be looking, so here is my image.

61180709.png
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Hi! Doesn't 3PointQualityModifier work with 3point material only and with quality mode checked on? I added the modifier and used the 3point material with the quality mode turned on and it made the cube look really good, all the smoothing errors that were showing without it went away.
    Edit: I enabled qualified normals and added the normal map with Xoliul shader 1.6 and it look the same as it did with the 3pointShader with modifier and quality mode turned on. BTW If nothing changes when you enable qualified normals it means u have to install ServicePack2 for 3ds max 2011 or the hotfix that includes the qualified normals.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I gave it another test after installing some updates for Max 2012, don't think they changed anything. I'd presuming 2012 already has the Qualified normals in there even without a service pack, as it came after 2011. i mean, I'd hope Autodesk didn't leave it out...

so 2012 acts weird with the INI setting and 3PS modifier. when INI's set to Legacy, no Qualified normals, the only working solution is 3PS mod with their shader, as i'd expect.
    If I turn on the INI setting, to qualified, I can also use their modifier with my shader, but with regular shaders and hardware display, there's still no difference, even though there should be. So the Ini setting is affecting the 3Point modifier ?? wtf

I just tried 2011, it does the exact same thing, Ini setting makes the 3Point modifier work with my shader :s

SSandu, you seem like the only guy where it works without problems ?
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    I will take a look at lunchtime.
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Xoliul! I'dd like to add the fact that my install of 3ds max 2011 x64 is recent and clean one. I used the script that you provided along with the cube for switching form Qualified to Legacy mode. Here's how things look on my pc:
    qualifiednormals.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Ssandu, that's exactly how Id' expect it to be, yes. I remember getting those results too back when the Hotfix was first out, but now I'm getting all this weirdness, and it looks like I'm not alone.

cw: thanks, I'm curious! BTW I never thanked your, but that updated bit of code you posted in the thread I linked in the OP helped me out back then. thanks bud!
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Hey no worries!

I baked a clean cube, it looked wonky.

I checked my ini file, the qualified normals part was there.

I reinstalled HF4 (I have a new install and i'm not 100% sure it was installed TBH)

Opening the scene, the box was perfect with max hardware with maps, and xoliul 1.6

No use of 3point shader or modifier in these cases.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like something is a bit messy on Autodesk's side. Happens so much, just like that random width you get with the material editor.
    Thanks for testing, I'll try reinstalling 2011. Wonder what to do for 2012 though...
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    I will check 2012 tonight, if I have a chance to.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    2012 works great with hardware and nitrous turned off. Ans ao turned off (otherwise it shows through objects for some reason.

3rd party shaders seem borked though, not 100% sure why. Will have a wee dig.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    cw wrote: »
    ao turned off (otherwise it shows through objects for some reason.

I've been getting this in 2010 sp1 for ages, even on pure geo scenes. Probably something dodgy in the HW lighting code rather than how it interacts with normalmaps specifically.
  • jfyelle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Nitrous viewport doesn`t support the same normal mapping algorithm and the D3D viewport need to be used for the time being.

Gamma is now on by default. If you have issues with the light intensity, have a look at this.

From the normal mapping white paper :
    http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/jean/everything_you_always_wanted_to_know_about_normal_maps_but_were_afraid_to_ask

Controlling how Normal Maps are displayed in the 3ds Max Direct3D Viewport
    As of 3ds Max 2011 HF1 a switch was introduced to the INI file allows you to control how the Direct3D driver for the viewport renders normal maps. The default behavior was also changed so that the viewport and the render to texture feature were consistent in how they created and shaded normal maps.
    The legacy behavior of 3ds Max (pre 3ds Max 2011 HF1) was to display normal maps created in Maya (or Mudbox) correctly.

The new default behavior is controlled explicitly in the 3dsmax.ini file using:

[ViewportNormalMapping]
    ViewportNormalMappingType=Qualified/Legacy

The current default behavior is called “Qualified”.
    Nitrous, which is the default driver for the 3ds Max viewport in 3ds Max 2012, behaves as if the ViewPortNormalMappingType is set to Legacy. This means that normal maps created in Maya or Mudbox will render correctly.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi jfyelle, thanks for dropping by.
    What me, pedro and ravenslayer are experiencing, is that there is no effect whatsoever from forcing the INI setting to "Qualified". Strangely, the only thing the INI seting switch does, is make the 3point studios modifier act as if it is on by default.

To repeat, in my case (2011 & 2012, both updated to latest HF and SP):
    ViewportNormalMappingType=Qualified
    using the baked box I posted here, I do not see any difference with the Legacy setting, not even when using "hardware display" of standard materials, the simplest and most efault way to show normalmaps.

It seems like the method is interfering with the 3Point modifier plugin in some people's cases...
  • cdavidson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdavidson polycounter lvl 8
    this threads went straight over my head tbh but seeing as its about shaders.. whats a good shader to use ofr the 3dsmax 2012 viewport?
  • jfyelle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul, sorry if it`s obvious, but can you describe your process?
    Which software do you use, which viewport
    How are you producing the normal maps?
    What did you use to produce the pictures on the thread (viewport or render?)

thanks
  • jfyelle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul, send me an email jean-francois.yelle[at]autodesk[dot]com
    thanks.
  • beautifulrobot
    apologies if i'm kicking a dead horse, but was there ever a resolution to this. i'm currently trying to get qualified normals working in max 2011 & getting the same results as above.
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Just make the vertex tangents like maya. Nobody is ever complaining about them, as they really do seem like they've been the industry standard for years now.

Surely enoughs enough when it comes to... displayed one way, rendered another.. here's a hack to display like how they should be generated, but the underlying data is still wrong etc.

Having to edit an ini file to get something that isn't actually fixing the core problem, just how it's displayed, is also pretty odd.

Frustrating to say the least.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah The best thing now would be an easy way to switch (no hidden INI settings please), and the code being bulletproof instead of so flaky for many people...
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone been able to find a fix for this? I've tried editing the .ini for both 2011 and 2012 and don't seem to be having any luck.