Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M-12 Locust SMG (Mass Effect 2)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
I've been working on this in my free time for the last few weeks. (scattered across about 4 days).

[edit]

Intention is to make this a low poly. I quite fancy doing a this with a engine 'synced' with either max or xnormals normal map baker. does this exist yet?

also

critique is very very welcome,as are questions

[/edit]

locust_001.jpg

544_realsize.jpg

Replies

• Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great Modeling ! Everything looks spot on :)
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Looking great so far, would love to see this textured. :)
  • mxb8924
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modeling is damn good if I say so myself.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Brilliant! Solid, modeling ;D

Whats the render done in? If its 3ds max, can you post up settings? my render work flow no longer works since i upgraded to 2012 xD

Love to see this textured.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the positive feedback guys :D. Low poly and texture are on the books.

Lazerus: How doesnt it work? I've not used 2012 except the demo.
    Setup wise:
    *Mentalray
    *Sampler : Mitchell
    *Samples 1/4 / 16
    *Final Gather: low
    *Lights: 1 Skylight with a B&W gradient as the 'light probe'
    2 Photometric free lights. 1 Warm, 1 Cool.
    Both of these are raytraced Area lights.

*Material is just a standard blinn with MR AO in its diffuse. The cast distance is set pretty low.

*Rendered Gamma Correct/Linear 32-bit. (32 bit isn't all that important in this case, just a workflow habit.) You can do your tone mapping in max just fine with MR Photographic.
    *Minor post work in Photoshop (This is a bit superfluous and only done because it interests me)
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    that is dam fine looking.

do you got a average and what kinda time it took to get a HP going to that fine of quality.

also how did you do the really fine creases on the handle, is that modeled in or is it a spline?
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    that is dam fine looking.

do you got a average and what kinda time it took to get a HP going to that fine of quality.

also how did you do the really fine creases on the handle, is that modeled in or is it a spline?

it was about 3 or 4 days of work. spread across a few weeks.
    My workflow for this was as follows.
    • Draw Profiles as splines
    • Duplicate Splines, Extrude and collapse them to editable poly
    • Chamfer the Edges where appropriate.
    • Boolean out inset areas. (Im sure people will have things to say about this :P)
    • Block Entire model like this.
    • Duplicate meshs and clean them up.
    • Add support loops / Bevels. when adding/removing geo from curves I use the splines as guides, to ensure the curves stay smooth

basic_workflow.JPG

The fine divisions between the forms are modelled in. although I think a floaters would probably suffice. I need to start using them more TBH, seeing the magic 3Point work with floaters makes me think I'm making my life harder than needs be.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spent the last couple of evenings doing the low poly. The bakes are just quick and shitty 1 click affairs done on Auto unwraps.

Normals are displayed in max using 3Point shader. hopefully tomorrow ill get a chance to model the rest and I can start the unwrap/smoothing setup. I still need to work out where in need to harden the smoothing to get rid of those tiny 'razor' artifacts.

m-12_normals_quick.jpg
    m-12_normals_quick_wire.jpg
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Hey Fletch, you're a great artist and a super cool guy, no BS, but your avatar is making me want to punch you in the face :P

awesome model :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK: Yeah, I've been meaning to get rid of that Douchy pic for a while now. just looking for something cool.

Thanks for the positive feedback on the model :)

Perna: Thanks :) I'll do my best.

Updates:
    Right so I've unwrapped it and done the normal map bake.
    m-12_preview_001.jpg
    m-12_preview_001_w.jpg
    m-12_preview_002.jpg
    m-12_preview_002_w.jpg
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Lazerus: How doesnt it work? I've not used 2012 except the demo.
    Setup wise:
    *Mentalray
    *Sampler : Mitchell
    *Samples 1/4 / 16
    *Final Gather: low
    *Lights: 1 Skylight with a B&W gradient as the 'light probe'
    2 Photometric free lights. 1 Warm, 1 Cool.
    Both of these are raytraced Area lights.

*Material is just a standard blinn with MR AO in its diffuse. The cast distance is set pretty low.

*Rendered Gamma Correct/Linear 32-bit. (32 bit isn't all that important in this case, just a workflow habit.) You can do your tone mapping in max just fine with MR Photographic.
    *Minor post work in Photoshop (This is a bit superfluous and only done because it interests me)

Thanks for that' All my presets no longer work since i was in 09 and went to 2012. Gotten a good few working as of now but your Ao seems like clay which perques my taste ;D
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The render looks like that because of the soft shadows from the areas lights.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    I love that mass effect gun and your modeling and presentation is well done. I do think that sum areas u could have left to the normal map like those ridges and cylindrical pieces on the side of the gun.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Lowpoly looks nice and clean. Was that just retopo'd in Max, or did you use another program?

Loving the progress. Definitely a cool gun.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :)
    Mcejn: its just a copy of the highpoly with the supports removes and some loops collapsed.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    this may not be the best approach for the topology but hopefully you get the idea.

RED = topochanges
    BLUE = collapse

pefci01v.jpg
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    looks good but your avatar enrages me.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gosh, some people need to take some anger management!
    anyway to avoid any burst blood vessels I've ditched the handsome Mr Kleese :)

Oniram: cheers mate, I really should have done more with that allright. I guess I got in too close without evaluating it against the rest.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool! Seems unnecessarily high poly though. Some of the support loops I can understand, but even if this is a first-person weapon there are quite a few parts that could be reduced. Whatevs, bakes look clean. Get some sweet AO on that and wow us with textures!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    This is beautiful, that high poly render looks like I can almost feel the guns weight in my hands/
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've done a good job of this in some places, but others are just really confusing; you should try to merge more chunks into a solid seamless mesh unless they animate. You've got some parts that are just sort of randomly intersecting other bits in places, which will only make your bakes much more complex, and create visible hard edges/seams whenever there isn't strong anti-aliasing. You'll get better uv usage as well with more of a seamless mesh, less wasted uvspace from intersecting bits.

You can optimize the mesh a bit, but honesly, the model looks like the highpoly, and that is the point after all. If you can cut out a bit but still maintain the look with no obviously lowpoly jaggedness go for it, otherwise there isn't really any need to optimize more than this, I feel sometimes people want their models to "look lowpoly" so they can feel good about how "well" they optimized.. #1 goal is to look like the highpoly, #2 goal is to be under budget. If you're hitting #1 and #2 on an asset like this(which will always have a set technical budget, over-optimizing is never going to improve performance) you're good to go.

Smoothing out curves, having some slight bevels in the right places, etc can really help to sell the look of a model, provided you're putting the detail in the right place, generally in the area you'll see most in FPV with this sort of asset.

For the high itself, I think you could stand to soften up some of your details, the smaller ridges and floaters and the like, you're really butting up against the limits of your texture res there, if this was 1-2 mips down, you would lose a lot of detail.
  • adprince0418
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram, Erik, Earthquake : Massive thanks for the feedback. It's definately set me thinking. I'm going to take another pass at the low. I know perhaps its not essential but it seems the right thing to do.

frell, adprince0418 many thanks glad you like it :)
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Have you though about what size texture you plan on using? I'm curious how other artists judge what size they should use for their models.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was planning on using a 2k sheet. probably a little high but its a personal piece so I don't care too much.

generally you don't get to make the choice, your given a spec and you squeeze the most you can from it. if you want a guide take a look at an existing title and see what they used.
  • Coridium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coridium polycounter lvl 15
    Nice work look forward to seeing this textured up.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If this is a FPV weapon, 2k is about right. For brink the guns were 1x2k, + 2-4 extra 512's depending on customization. 2k is fairly common for a PC game, console would probably be 1K.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    also don't forget: you can always scale down, but never scale up.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    I'm curious, how do you build a lowpoly for that? What I mean is, is that just a single contiguous mesh built with some retopo tool or do you just build a bunch of floating pieces that are just arranged together? Or perhaps a little of both?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar wrote: »
    I'm curious, how do you build a lowpoly for that? What I mean is, is that just a single contiguous mesh built with some retopo tool or do you just build a bunch of floating pieces that are just arranged together? Or perhaps a little of both?

with the exception of a few small bits is a contiguous mesh derived from the high poly, basically i stripped the support loops from the HP and collapsed un needed edges. the Graphite optimise tool is great for this.

(The few small bits being the barrels, and the front grip.
    There are also a couple of little floaters that need integrating, which im doing.)

like EQ said, 1 contiguous mesh means no overlapping geo which means less wasted uv space.
  • Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r really nice model dude. It's coming along great. The bake is looking nice too. It will be very interesting to see the textures you put on this bad boy.

Right now I'm trying to do a high-poly of the M7 Assault Rifle. I was wondering how you get those clean lines or fine details in your high poly. Example areas below, sorry I blasted your piece with red squares, heh. (If you have time of course to explain, when a chance occurs, thanks!)
    locust_001.jpg
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There isn't really any secret to it. Its really just down to how you break down the shapes. once you model the individual elements you get the seams naturally.

What I would consider important when approaching something like this breaking it down into its basic 'physical' parts, never model 2 separate parts as the same mesh if they are not 'physically' connected. The reason being is that when your sub-D modelling its best to keep the individual form's topology separate, this way you only every have to think of the local topology and not worry about how new loops effect the model as a whole.
    Its also essential to block first, that way you allways have a base to work to.

pics: (edit- for some reason photobucket compressed them to death :()
    snip_001.jpg
    snip_002.jpg
    snip_003.jpg
    snip_004.jpg
    blockout.jpg

the blockout is just a load of spline shapes with booleans cut from em. horrid topology but it lets me get the shape right before even thinking about topology
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Nice Gun. If you had showed me the lowpoly without any wireframes and said it was HP I'd totally believe it..

But all that talk about your avatar... makes me wonder what it actually was..
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bb0x wrote: »
    Nice Gun. If you had showed me the lowpoly without any wireframes and said it was HP I'd totally believe it..

But all that talk about your avatar... makes me wonder what it actually was..

It was a photoshopped version of a guys face who was stealing folks art.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    awesome high poly, such a clean bake on the low, the handle's topo could use a bit more work. cant wait for the textured version. keep it up!
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Show the FPV, damnit.
  • Bergerking42
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bergerking42 polycounter lvl 10
    very nice! You have inspired me to start my Mass Effect weapon I've been meaning to make. Looking forward to textures.