Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Well hello! ~first post!

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ILmaTeR polycounter lvl 10
Well its been week after week before realizing I'm just too shy to show some of my work after seeing what other people are working on here, but oh well.. I think I'll have to get over it some day, right? :)

Well here, let me show you what I did last week. its a fast turntable capture on marmoset, 6100 polys. what do you think? any tips for a better presentation of the piece (for demoreel purposes)?

[IMGrudolphturntable1.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Replies

• TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I personally, really enjoy the character of this piece; but please, turn off symmetry, It makes things quite boring IMHO...
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    I like it quite a bit! I agree with Hunt, its a bit TOO symmetric in the little details, but sometimes when your texture and poly limit is low, mirrored geometry is useful, so I understand if its not a possibility to 'asym' it.
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also on a sidenote, the horns seem very very dark, close to black even, except at the tips, its keeping any lighting from being read, simply silhouette horns, maybe ramp up the specular on the horns to bring out the normal detail?
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Im digging the design right now, but your normal detail isn't reading very well at the moment. Did you do an AO bake? Putting some more TLC into the spec could fix that too.
  • ILmaTeR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the feedback guys! Yeah I tried to make a "cheap" fast piece on this one, but I think I still can break symmetry because theres some free space on texture, i'll have a look at this.
    MrHobo wrote: »
    Putting some more TLC into the spec could fix that too.
    Regarding on the specular trouble.. what do you mean with TLC?
    :poly122:
  • ILmaTeR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep! hello! thanks for your feedback guys. I've been working a bit on what you said and finally ended up by removing the selfilumination map, I dont think it was doing any good at all for the symmetry was in fact too obvious.
    MrHobo wrote: »
    Did you do an AO bake? Putting some more TLC into the spec could fix that too.
    Regarding this what do you mean with TLC?
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    TLC - Tender Loving Care. At first glance i thought it said THC, which is a whole different ball game.
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ILmaTeR wrote: »
    Yep! hello! thanks for your feedback guys. I've been working a bit on what you said and finally ended up by removing the selfilumination map, I dont think it was doing any good at all for the symmetry was in fact too obvious.

Hey there mate,

Personally, I enjoyed the selfillum on there, it helped the back really pop, and I'm sure it would have looked great in less lit conditions! But really, its just the fact that blatant symmetry on complex detail, has a tendency to ruin immersion into the character, and really, its only seriously noticeable on the back and forehead.

Overall I really enjoy the character of this piece though!