Home General Discussion

Should I go for a traditional arts degree?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
... if my end goal is to find a gig working as a 3d character artist? Unfortunately, I live in an area where I don't have a privilege to go to CG schools such as Gnomon or VFS.

My major of choice is Illustration. What are the benefits of studying traditional art, what should I expect to get out of it and what I shouldn't? Besides working my butt off, all I know is I'll get out of it as much as I put into it.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    IMO your knowledge in traditional arts will only strengthen your 3d.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    yes - it's not a privilege to go to a CG school.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    You should definitely get a traditional arts degree.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Do you want to be surrounded by computers or paint?
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you mean? I don't have an option to be surrounded by computers except when I'm home.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12

If I didn't know any better, I would say that is euphemism for an orgy.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    YES!!! go for it. I started out school with CIS classes and Computer Graphics classes and totally missed the mark quality wise.

I switched gears to fine and studio arts and haven't looked back since. I figure I can always read a tech manual to learn a program but will always need hours of practice to understand art fundamentals.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    studio and history classes in traditional art degrees are priceless. you will learn a hell of a lot more and be able to use the knowledge and skills you acquire in your 3d art.

the problem lies in your ultimate goal. you will have to be extremely, extremely dedicated to tackle both mediums at once (traditional art/3d art). both involve a high degree of dedication and knowledge and both are time exhaustive pursuits. be prepared to have very little free time on your hands if you tackle this head on.

it will be best to try and find a balance of courses if they are offered, but a traditional degree can be viable in other areas outside of the gaming/film industries.

learning things like composition, color theory, working in various traditional mediums, life drawing, art history across all realms of periods, photography, etc. will broaden your horizons and understanding of art in general and help you to appreciate the talent and skills required to actually make art.

if i had the chance to do it all over again, i still would have taken my studio classes for my BFA. the only change i would make if given the opportunity to would be to dedicate more time to 3d art on my own free time. working full-time and going to school full-time will also be a factor in how much you are able to take on. the only thing i can say is that everyone has their limits. find out what your limits are and maintain a balance. if you get overloaded, don't be afraid to drop some stuff off your plate, but give it a fighting chance before you do. sometimes you can really do more than even yourself, and especially others, think you can.

good luck!
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    hey man im currently attending school for 3d game development and im graduating next year, my end goal is similar as yours and im planning to go to school again for a traditional art degree. Not because Its needed..but I know it will help me become a better artist in general, and because i love art very much.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert wrote: »
    studio and history classes in traditional art degrees are priceless. you will learn a hell of a lot more and be able to use the knowledge and skills you acquire in your 3d art.

the problem lies in your ultimate goal. you will have to be extremely, extremely dedicated to tackle both mediums at once (traditional art/3d art). both involve a high degree of dedication and knowledge and both are time exhaustive pursuits. be prepared to have very little free time on your hands if you tackle this head on.

it will be best to try and find a balance of courses if they are offered, but a traditional degree can be viable in other areas outside of the gaming/film industries.

learning things like composition, color theory, working in various traditional mediums, life drawing, art history across all realms of periods, photography, etc. will broaden your horizons and understanding of art in general and help you to appreciate the talent and skills required to actually make art.

if i had the chance to do it all over again, i still would have taken my studio classes for my BFA. the only change i would make if given the opportunity to would be to dedicate more time to 3d art on my own free time. working full-time and going to school full-time will also be a factor in how much you are able to take on. the only thing i can say is that everyone has their limits. find out what your limits are and maintain a balance. if you get overloaded, don't be afraid to drop some stuff off your plate, but give it a fighting chance before you do. sometimes you can really do more than even yourself, and especially others, think you can.

good luck!
    Ahh, that is so true! Your post actually made me feel good about me choosing to pursue a 4-year degree in arts. The reason I picked Illustration is because of interesting classes that you mentioned above such as art foundations, art history, figure drawing, photography; I will even get my hands on sculpting with clay! My hopes are that those courses will make me a well-rounded artist overall which I think is better than just knowing what buttons to push (although, I'm going to have to work on that as well).

The degree itself (a piece of paper, really) isn't as much of interest to me as the knowledge I will acquire over that period of time. My goal is to finish strong.

Btw, thanks for wishing me luck. I'm definitely going to need it!
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Go for it! I always regretted not getting an arts degree myself. :(

And you should definitely have a go at sculpting in clay, it's a very liberating and forgiving medium.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph wrote: »
    Go for it! I always regretted not getting an arts degree myself. :(

And you should definitely have a go at sculpting in clay, it's a very liberating and forgiving medium.
    I am going for it alright :) Thanks for your input!
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Probably much better than most 3D classes! Go for it!
    3D classes will only teach you how to make a cube and all the technical stuffs. Art classes will teach you the BIG fundamentals, which are REALLY important (perspective, colours, lightning, etc...). At my university, they don't teach that, they only show me how to click on buttons and how it works...very boring and useless...I can find tutorials on the Internet for that. Traditional art will make you understand better the world and theses lessons will help A LOT on your 3D art.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    While I agree that traditional art classes are extremely helpful, I think you could just as well learn that stuff online.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    go for the traditional stuff.
  • Bon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bon
    I wish I kept up with my traditional stuff and now I feel I have been left behind. It has affected my confidence, you can't knock being able to draw well, it is the foundation of all artists. Go for it mate and keep on practicing!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These threads always spiral into circle jerks for people with fine art degrees.

If you think you have great potential as an artist, go for the fine art degree.

If you're more technically minded, go for the digital stuffs and you can be more of a technical artist/ modeler.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @crazyfingers I am going for the fine arts degree, it is decided.

Anyways, thanks to everyone who shared their thoughts on this! It helped me a bunch and I am thankful for that. Hopefully this information is useful to someone else when he/she searches the forum. Best of luck in whatever you're pursuing!
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    YES! you should. good decision. hope it is a 4 year college, like a state school. so worth it.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    These threads always spiral into circle jerks for people with fine art degrees.

If you think you have great potential as an artist, go for the fine art degree.

If you're more technically minded, go for the digital stuffs and you can be more of a technical artist/ modeler.

Whoa dude, that's a bit rough, and don't think it's that black and white.

I don't think it matters as much as where you go, as what you want to do and what you pursue. You put the work in to be where you want to be.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair enough, been a rough week. Roll the bones, go where you feel is best and make the most of it!
  • Lombos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lombos polycounter lvl 6
    I received a BFA in Animation and Visual effects from an art school. The classes I gained the most from artistically were the foundation classes... Figure Drawing, Figure Sculpting, Anatomy, Heads & Hands, Color and Design, etc, etc..

The computer classes were more technical. In the beginning it was sort of like an illustrator taking a class on how to use a pencil and eraser. They didn't really push you too much artistically, they just wanted to make sure you understood how to use the tools. Eventually you get pushed hard to make things look good and everything you learned from your classes come together.

For your situation I'd say take what you can get. If you have to learn 3d on your own it will be difficult, but it's doable. The other issue is going to be trying to balance learning 3d and successfully earning an illustration degree. It will consume all your time if you're putting ample effort into it. What ever you do really push yourself...I had people in my classes who spent a ridiculous amount of money getting a degree that I can't see ever getting a job because they didn't apply themselves.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    I love to masturebate for people who have fine arts degreez
    when I get a degree, I will make a bigger salary, so now I got seee, which college is right for meee.
    I went on to the internet, and, found education
    CUH, NECK, TSCHION.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonebrew22 wrote: »
    when I get a degree, I will make a bigger salary, so now I got seee, which college is right for meee.
    CUH, NECK, TSCHION.
    Now that makes perfect sense. Thanks for your valuable input.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    It's a joke about an educational network that runs commercials here. Those commercials are f'n retarded. The only thing worse are the two guys who make video games by sitting on a couch with xbox controllers.

But anyways, the question overall should be whether to go for a degree or not. That's a whole different thing. But once you decide to go for one, then a fine arts degree is probably the best thing to do. All those schools that straight-up teach CG are really a waste of time. Especially if you consider how much they cost, and what you're getting in return. Nothing you can't get by staying at home for a year with a bunch of Gnomon DVDs.

Just as long as you realize that a fine arts degree, or anything really, isn't a magic bullet. It requires a lot of work no matter what you do.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Bonebrew22 wrote: »
    CUH, NECK, TSCHION.

I...what...?

You forgot the part where they don't like posting scanned artwork in the interwebz.