Home General Discussion

Mouse-click finger joint pain - any other sufferers?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
I've been getting pain in the small knuckle (the one just by the nail) of my index finger. I can't fully curl the finger without substantial pain. It feels like toghtening in the tendons - specifically the 'band' that circles the joint.

It sounds like classic RSI, except that there's a strong history of arthritis in my genes, so I'm wondering if this could be early onset.

Of course I plan to visit my doctor, but I wondered if any others amongst you have the same symptoms? Along with programmers, we're an 'at risk bunch' for RSI as we all know, so there may be a common cause.

Replies

• Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I got rid of my hand pains by switching middle mouse to the zoom button where my thumb rests. Haven't felt hand pains in a year.

You should take breaks if it's that bad. Also make sure to work in an ergonomic environment.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't had a pain like that yet. I get it in the lower part of my forearm, or wrist. Usually when I've been using my mouse for hours, with my arm in the wrong position. I'd suggest trying to stretch it out a bit... and take more breaks, like Habboi mentioned
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Yes. I know exactly what you mean. When it got bad, i switched over to using a wacom pen to animate with instead of a mouse

Initially it was weird using 3dsmax. Though, my hand was more comfortable in this position, and the pain subsided
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    what sort of mouse do you use?
    I have a logitech mx518 and i've never had a problem(and my usage is very high)
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Well, I use a gel pad (or my wacom) on my home system, but not at work so I'm installing a wacom at work to ease things. The work is very click-heavy, so a wacom will be far better. I recently junked a cheap mouse which had a very hard middle click, which won't have helped. I now use a Microsoft Comfort mouse.

'More breaks' is good advice. I try to do as much with a keyboard/wacom as I can, and I'm revising my click mapping to try help. I may invest in a mouse with a thumb-wheel or side button.

Thanks guys - even if this IS arthritis, it will be early enough to be treatable, and the same preventative steps will be good for both.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    My thumb gets these random twitches while holding my mouse, they can get really violent.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regularly stretch your fingers, forearm muscles, and your entire arms. That really helps get the blood flowing.

Ultimately though a tablet is the best solution. :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Do you use Max ? By default it is terrible for your hands. If so, get yourself a copy of Draster Switcher, it will make the viewport navigation behave like Maya's and Mudbox - much, much better for your wrists. You'l see what I mean as soon as you'll get use to it. (it takes about 2 days to switch, I'd say)
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I used to use this.

There was a point in time where I just used arrow keys to scroll pages while having a wheel mouse :(
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    http://www.shareware-beach.com/2008/01/mouse-with-a-handshake/

I've seen a lot of people use a mouse like this one. During crunch time I have to remind myself to take breaks because the back of my had starts to hurt.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    I dont get this when using a mouse, however i do get very bad aches in my hand and finger joints after using a tablet pen for more then a few hours. I seem to grip the pen too hard, i also grip normal pens too hard when im writing... i guess im just retarded at holding things ;)
  • hexacorde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could also take a look at Voice Finger
    You can click, move the mouse and hit keys by voice.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    My middle finger gets sore from using the mouse wheel to zoom in and out. I wish someone would replace that stupid fucking idea with forward/back button combo that smoothly zoomed in and out. What a stupid, goddamn design idea.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    I get it sometimes in my middle finger after long periods of browsing(scrolling). Just have to take a break and wiggle it a bit
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like you need to visit the real world...and stop using the computer so much!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    From constant use of my mouse my fingers would defiantly start to hurt a bit so I switched too using my wacom pen entirely for computer work. I use my mouse now only to surf the web and shit.

Works out great for me.
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used to get horrible acute pain in my forefinger and wrist, so I switched to my Wacom tablet and when I don't use it, Logitech Trackman (Ball). Haven't had problems since...
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I have had this - using a wacom helps

also trying to eliminate the amount of things you do with your right hand helps. Things like shortcuts and using other input devices.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    my middle finger hurts from scrolling and from telling max how much I love it (j/k).
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    monster wrote: »
    http://www.shareware-beach.com/2008/01/mouse-with-a-handshake/

I've seen a lot of people use a mouse like this one. During crunch time I have to remind myself to take breaks because the back of my had starts to hurt.

I thought I wanted one, until I see the prices... $90 ???
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    must be worth it though. Everyone who got over the initial awkwardness of those mice has been loving them ever since. I only heard good things.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    CrazyMatt wrote: »
    Sounds like you need to visit the real world...and stop using the computer so much!

In the real world, we need money to live. Guess what most people on polycount do for a living ;P
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Autocon wrote: »
    From constant use of my mouse my fingers would defiantly start to hurt a bit so I switched too using my wacom pen entirely for computer work. I use my mouse now only to surf the web and shit.

Works out great for me.

This for me too.

Once you get used to it I've found a pen tablet 10x more efficient and accurate as well. People should really make the effort to switch.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find it very strange that anyone doing this kind of work still uses a mouse at all. Mice are so 90s', slow, inaccurate, cumbersome to switch between stylus and mouse, #1 cause of RSI, etc...

Having switched over to using my wacom for everything long ago all of my wrist pain went away.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    I find it very strange that anyone doing this kind of work still uses a mouse at all. Mice are so 90s', slow, inaccurate, cumbersome to switch between stylus and mouse, #1 cause of RSI, etc...

Having switched over to using my wacom for everything long ago all of my wrist pain went away.

Ever used a Wacom for UDK ? It's mega-sensitive and I just cant get it to work right. Half of my work is in there.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yuck! yeah you just reminded me why I still have my wacom mouse sitting around collecting dust on my desk. It's been a long while since I did any UDK work so I had forgotten about it. Yeah the material editor was insanely sensitive, one click and everything is "lost" :(

I thought I read somewhere they had fixed that issue.

I remember trying to switch my stylus from "Pen" to "Mouse" mode in the wacom preferences but it didn't quite work right.

EDIT:

I just opened up the July UDK to give it another try with "Mouse" mode in the wacom preferences. It seemed to be working ok, even the material editor. The only tricky maneuver seemed to be moving the camera up and down (left + right click) in the viewport.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    quick tip that worked for me:

either pior the shit out of your max with draster's switcher, or learn to press the middle-mouse with the side of your index finger. You don't need to lift your finger over top and press down, just shift it so that you're pushing on the side of the mouse wheel.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Like I said before. Setting middle mouse to the zoom button where my thumb rests got rid of all my pains plus the mouse has a groove where my hand fits. It's a Logitech Performance MX. I tend to hold my wacom pen between my fingers at the same time as using the mouse.

I'd get a picture but can't be bothered. Basically pen fits through thumb hole and rests on top of mouse so I can easily switch between the two.
  • healthystuff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That must be a terrible experience. I highly recommend castor oil for joint pain, very helpful in any pain that you may feel. It reduces and it relieves any future possibilities of joint pain.