Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gun Grab Animation

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Mezz polycounter lvl 8
I just recently completed an animation I did in 2D all in Photoshop layers, and now I am creating the same scene in 3D, using the 3DSMax biped. I'm hoping to finish it up in the next few days, so any and all critique is very much appreciated!

Here's the 2D version:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbD2k1AUwpw&NR=1[/ame]

And now here's the 3D version that I'm still working on (sorry for the lame Youtube quality):
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjGpky7yx50[/ame]

When she turns very fast to point the gun, I used a blurred image in the 2D one. However, in the 3D version, I'm not really sure how I could go about making the same effect, therefore it may be too fast/snappy. If anyone knows a solution for this, please tell me!!

Please let me know what you think, and thanks for looking!

Replies

• Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seeing as I'm an animator myself. It felt kind of that too many linear actions were there. It could use some better arcs for the inbetween for two keys.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The pacing could be better, it feels a bit slow in places. And it needs more of a story, did she just stumble by it? Was she looking for a gun? Is something after here? I can't really tell why shes moving they way she is.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    She comes off as being very excited but not very practiced / experienced with the weapon. Not sure if that's just me or if anybody else is picking that up as well.
  • Cexar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    Great arc in the end, I suspect you used IK so really great work there.

Two things that bothers me. When she leans to her right before snappy frame she doesn't really show any anticipation for it.

She doesn't arc in her snappy frame, then it might come off as more natural.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the replies all!

Cexar -- Thanks! To be honest, I'm unclear how much IK and FK is even in effect with the biped. All I know is I had enough breakdowns to follow the arc I wanted there, but I'm glad you liked it. I addressed the two problems you brought up, and have hopefully fixed them up in this next version.

ZacD & GarageBay9 -- I admit that my acting in animation skills still need a lot of work. I'm more concerned with the more technical aspects of animating right now, like my arcs and curves, and just generally being able to do what I want in Max, but I certainly plan on improving my acting too. I'll also look over the pacing to see if there's anything I can fix without redoin the whole thing. Thanks for the feedback!

Cooljay -- Animator or not, what you're trying to say isn't very clear. I'd need a clarification of what better arcs for which inbetween for which two keys.

Here's my next version. Subtle changes overall, but mostly some fixes around the lean into and snappy pointing of the gun. Keep the critiques coming!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNytezl4Dk8[/ame]
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Just seems unnatural to me how she picks up the gun, mainly due to how the gun is lying when she picks it up, if the gun were lying on it's other side, with the handle facing left instead of right. (So left side of gun down, with the ejection port facing up)

As currently, how it plays out, she puts her hand under the gun to pick it up, where as a more natural motion would be to grip the handle from the top to pick it up, especially if doing it one handed as in the above animation.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    dogzer -- Thanks!!

kaptainkernals -- ...you know what, I completely agree. This is one of those things where I have it in my mind that's the placement I wanted, and logic be damned! Even though I kinda thought this while I was working the anim, I was plainly being stubborn. Anyway, I changed it around to your suggestion for the next version, thanks!

Some more changes in this one including repositioning the gun, how she's grabbing and raising it, the settle at the end, etc. Hoping it's about done at this point, but if anything is still off please let me know!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urlC_ju54xM[/ame]
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    First of all I like the animation and I think it's coming along quite well, I have just a few issues;

One thing that's lost between the 2D and 3D animation is the little evil glare she gets after picking up the gun and I think that's really important in setting up what the story of the clip is. To me it's about a girl who stumbles upon a gun on a table and tentatively picks it up and then acts all macho and cool once she's holding it.

I think the snap to her pointing the gun to the side could be quicker, it seems a bit floaty at the moment.

And the gun pick up looks a bit awkward, she seems to grab it at the (sorry for my lack of gun knowledge) back of the gun then it's suddenly being held by the handle. (I'm sure I just made a gun enthusiast cry).

But I like it, it'll look great once it's finished.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks a lot for the feedback, BrontoThunder!

My only problem is I'm not sure how to fix some of these issues at this point. I was looking at the drawn version again today and realized how much seems to be lost with the lack of facial expression. Unfortunately, I don't have a facial rig for the biped, and I'm not sure how else to convey what I want without completely changing up the anim. This may just have to be something I keep in mind for the next time I work with or without something with a face :P (Unless you have any suggestions??)

Do you mean the ease into the lean is too slow/floaty, or the actual movement from one side to the other as she points the gun? Cause if so, I actually had it at only one frame inbetween in the first version, and only 2 now. I was liking how it is on this later version, but did you prefer the snappiness of the first version?

Also, I'm not sure how clear it is from the small youtube winow, but she lowers her hand over the handle, keeps the fingers by the handle as they close to adjust/move it, and the thumb goes around the top back and around to the other side of the handle and grips there. I'm speaking specficially on the latest, version 3. Is it reading that she picks it up in a different spot than that, though? I could possibly try to make that more clear.

Great to hear that you like it though, thanks!!
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Alrighty, got another update:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSI1b_x7Lsw[/ame]

Updates in this version are a few changes in the timing of the pauses to try to help out the pacing a bit, as well as a rework of the hand pick-up of the gun. It's a bitch of a spot, but I'm hoping it's much better now. Oh, and I also cut out a frame where she snaps into pointing the gun, so hopefully that's feeling right as well.

Keep the crits coming! (Although honestly I'm hoping to move onto my next animation already :P)
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work Mezz:) There is a lot of character in her movements :)
  • pekoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it looks really good so far! The only thing that seems off is where she prepares to turn her body. Usually you just twist your spine to turn around. She's putting in a bunch of extra force (pulling back) which doesn't seem natural.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks, that means a lot!! :)