Home General Discussion

Electronic Cigarettes

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
Saw this at 7 11 about a week ago and picked one up on a whim:

S-Ecig.jpg

They pretty much changed my life. I don't cough like i'm dying all the time any more, there's no tar so it's healthier, and you can literally smoke 'em at your desk as there's no smoke smell or lingering odor so long as you explain to your coworkers you're smoking a legal, non mind-altering substance. Since i started i also noticed my habit in general has gone down, there's no random other crap in there to keep you hooked.

Anyway, if you're a smoker, i highly recommend these, your coworkers and loved ones will probably thank you.

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea I heard these are awesome from a dude I worked with who switched over to them and he was raving about them. I dont smoke ciggys myself but he said anyone looking to cut back or quit, these are the bomb.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I'm really curious about these. Like how they actually work, how do they "run out", can they be refilled, or do you toss em like normal smokes? It's a pretty ingenious idea, but I'm sure there's some drawbacks, and someone somewhere will raise a stink about them.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I sat opposite a guy using these in work for a few weeks.

He used it pretty much 9-5.

Blowing second hand nicotine crap into the air we were breathing.

I was not impressed and nor were the others in the room with him.

Be cool and don't use it indoors around your co-workers ;)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm actually surprised there aren't PSA's hyping them up for the general good. 0 second hand smoke, no tar.

As for how they work they're essentially a vaporizer, electronic charge creates a very pristine smoke. They've been around for a long time for smoking other substances, but only now are there these nicotine ones readily available.

Anyway there are multiple types, you can buy some nice 40 dollar ones that you upkeep yourself that some guys at work swear by, or if you want to just give 'em a try, you can pick this up at the local convenient store. They're throw away and cost about as much as a pack, last about half as long from my experience, but totally worth it.

@andreas I guess if you were chain smoking it at your desk it could be a problem, i might take a puff in this very large building every 15 minutes or so. There's also no second hand nicotine or dangerous smoke emitted.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    ...creates a very pristine smoke.

Ah...nothing like pristine smoke.

...wait.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mispoke, i meant vapor, and yeah, it's pretty clean in comparison to nicotine smoke ;)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@andreas I guess if you were chain smoking it at your desk it could be a problem, i might take a puff in this very large building every 15 minutes or so. There's also no second hand nicotine or dangerous smoke emitted.

Definitely something not good coming off them, we all felt wheezier (the non-smokers) from breathing in whatever vapor was getting spat back out into the air. If you have people beside/in front of you, I would just suggest you take a smoke break outside like you did before... although with the frequency you described I guess it would be ok.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    agreed with the nonsmokers above, you can still smell the nicotine too...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    "non mind-altering " Actually Nicotine does alter your mindset.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    oXYnary wrote: »
    "non mind-altering " Actually Nicotine does alter your mindset.

Yep, quite heavily. When you fully quit you run the risk of having nerve issues as well, depending on how addicted your body was. I smoked for 13yrs, from 13-26, quit 5yrs ago. While many aspects of my health dramatically improved over the years (blood pressure, heart rate, breathing and sense of smell/taste), I did gain weight from constant appetite surges (something nicotine suppresses) as well as increased muscle twitches and general anxiety issues (probably what heightened my social anxiety disorder also). If I'm talking to a group of people smoking and catch a lot of the smoke, all of those nervous issues go away. I'm calm, relaxed and feel great. However, everyone is different and things affect them differently. This is just how it happened to affect me.
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No experience with them (and I smoke the regular stuff) but it sounds like something for people who need to feed a habit as opposed to enjoy smoking. I say if you're gonna smoke, smoke the real shit, because I enjoy the taste and the smoke and the smell and the paper burning and staring a thousand-mile stare across the prairie, all that jazz ;)
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    One of these gave my best friend pneumonia. Doctor told him to never use one again [of course any doctor will say don't smoke anything]. He was in pretty bad shape. You are inhaling vapor, and it makes you very susceptible to pneumonia, so be careful guys.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Problem is while they're not as bad as cigarettes, you have to remember that there is no standard for Elec-Cigs at this current stage.

They started as a fad, but rapidly grew, and I hope I'm not offending anyone, but when Health Organizations are fighting against each other and bickering on what does what with little to no effort in, no one can say what they experience with this product is 'standard'.

Some people do just fine, others can still taste the tobacco heavily, and others get nasty stuff in return. It's a mess, the only thing I would suggest is taking a close look at your health as you smoke these overtime, to determine if you should continue or not.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I picked up a cheap one, several friends switched to it and now swear by it. Personally it just doesn't *do it* for me, and I find myself just craving a real cigarette even though I've probably had a higher dose of nicotine while using it.

It makes a nice backup, and I can take quick puffs on the go or in theaters, and I like that.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    @Jeremy-S and anyone else interested

How they work:
    Its a tiny electric vaporizer.
    The substance being vaporized is a suspension of a flavoring and some concentration of liquid nicotine in either propylene glycol, or vegetable glycerine. (non nicotine is available)
    They run out because the reservoir of said liquid isn't infinite and is being consumed to create the vapour.

Some models can be refilled. Some are designed to be disposed of. Some have just a disposable reservoir that can be swapped.

No there are not FDA standards for this stuff yet. The reasoning is varied from what I've read.
    So yes, the "BUYER BEWARE" precedent is in full effect. Do your research on suppliers and manufacturers if you want these things.

You CAN in fact mix your own liquid, by getting components, like vegetable glycerine, a flavorant essential oil if you like, and if you can find liquid nicotine, go you, otherwise you could make a tincture of it starting with pure smoking tobacco.

While I don't smoke, or have an e-cigarette, I've looked into them a while.

edit: ThrottleKitty: What model do you have? OF the reviews I've read some models are better than others for feeling like "real smoke".
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Almost every smoker I know in Montreal, loves the social aspect of smoking.

Great way to network, great way to collect thoughts, and forces you to get away from your desk for some reflection and perspective on what was being worked on.

Also I have quite a few smoker friends that met their girlfriends/wives on their smoke break.

I get the feeling this thing would stop a lot of that.

Your advocating and romanticising smoking. Wow.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    I get the feeling this thing would stop a lot of that.

It's possible, but new social circles will form regardless. Even if regular smokers get phased out, there will be new electronic smokers now. New times, new circles. Nothing too bad about that, it just happens. That said, I don't think smoking is going anywhere. I love the nicotine buzz, and almost equally, I love smoke whipping around my face and the smell. And I am not alone in this.

Andreas, your post piqued my curiosity, and after some hunting, it seems like there is almost no research on the second hand effects of e-cigarettes. (Or smoking them in general, actually.) I don't really know why that surprised me. That alone probably makes it a safe bet that they're not the healthiest thing around, so I can't really say if you were getting wheezy from second hand vapor or just being a hysterical nancy.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    PatrickL wrote: »
    That said, I don't think smoking is going anywhere. I love the nicotine buzz, and almost equally, I love smoke whipping around my face and the smell. And I am not alone in this.

Yes
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I smoked for 15 years (about 10 a day) then woke up one day and decided to just quit. Went cold turkey but I never really craved it again. I had tried quitting many time before that but it didnt work. I dunno what was different when I actually did quit.

A friend of mine quit by using nicorette gum, now he's addicted to gum. Which is better, but its still an addiction and it expensive.

All I can say is giving up was probably the best thing I ever did in my life.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    its already prohibited to have even the electronic smoke inside the room.
    so you still have do it outside.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    robo_hunter.jpg

Ha! Reminds me of RoboStogie, next thing you know they'll be walking and talking.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    is that Halo Jones?
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    is that Halo Jones?

No I believe its Samantha Slade whom just looks uncannily like Halo Jones.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    Your advocating and romanticising smoking. Wow.

I wouldn't quite say he's advocating or romanticizing it. But what he says is true. I learned more about the studios and people I worked with on smoke breaks than at any other time. It's a tiny 5min break where you just blow off steam and shoot the shit. I actually miss that quite a bit. You could say to just meet in the kitchen or whatever to chat, it's hard to explain but it's really not the same. I'm glad I quit and don't want to start again (god knows I can't afford $7/pack now anyways), but I do miss the social aspect very much.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    I smoked for 15 years (about 10 a day) then woke up one day and decided to just quit. Went cold turkey but I never really craved it again. I had tried quitting many time before that but it didnt work. I dunno what was different when I actually did quit.

I do this at least once a year. I always end up smoking again because putting it simply: i like it. I just try to keep my habit under control, I set limits for myself and rarely exceed them. I'm also a polite a smoker, I try to avoid smoking near non-smokers, brush my teeth a couple of extra times a day, etc...

Fun fact: I was at a festival in California some time ago and they confiscated our cigarette cartons at check in (they said people were smuggling marijuana in inside cartons). I was a bit pissed off but OK, I thought I could buy cigs inside so what the hell. When we finally got inside we found out they were only selling e-cigarettes at the festival. I wonder if it was a lobby from the e-cig mafia!

People smoking those e-cigs looked pretty ridiculous, so if you are using it to stop smoking, stop smoking it too as soon as your habit goes away please.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    When I saw the brand "Square", for a moment, I thought Square Enix was making them. And I thought "Wtf, they're making cigarettes now?!". If someone was smoking this at the office, boy would I be pissed. I get enough smoke blown into my face anytime I go downtown, I don't want more of it if it can be avoided.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look guys, i was trying to share a positive change to smoking cigarettes for people who smoke. I'm not advocating everyone walk around blowing smoke in your face. Like i said, i'll take a few drags at work, and i'm able to smoke at home. My coworkers and roommates have never once had any complaints, in fact i've been getting lots of positive comments that i don't smell like smoke any more. Again, if you smoke, all i'm saying is give it a try, it could be a really positive change to your life.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right. Sorry, got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Question: Wouldn't in theory having sex instead of smoking solve the issue?
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A 6$ lay sounds pretty darn bad. :P
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ so does having sex every hour. A man has to satisfy his libido but good god, you'd be drained by the end of the day! haha.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of all the retarded questions Ace...
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What? It's all about keeping your mouth busy...
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Was this you? http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpps/news/man-jailed-for-tossing-peanuts%2C-pretzels-on-flight-dpgapx-km-20110712_14098853

A Salt Lake City man has been arrested and jailed after authorities say he pelted a flight attendant with peanuts and pretzels on a Southwest Airlines plane from Los Angeles to Utah. Pogos Paul Sefilian faces a federal charge of interference with a flight crew.
    Authorities say Sefilian was on a flight Monday evening when he attempted to smoke an electronic cigarette. A complaint filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court says a flight attendant repeatedly told him it was against airline policy and to put away the device.
    Authorities say Sefilian became enraged and threw peanuts and pretzels at the flight attendant.
    He remained held. His attorney declined to comment.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    lulz, I've actually thought about buying one and not putting any tobacco in it so I could have an excuse to have a break every 15-20 minutes.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sefilian became enraged and threw peanuts and pretzels at the flight attendant.

Why do I have the feeling we'll see this in Curb your Enthuisasm?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    My buddy has been using these for a while now.

you get little bottles of the liquid that you fill the thing with. its way cheaper than smoking cigs.

Yes, its healthier cause the lack or tar and stuff, but if you plan on using it to quit, theres a catch. its still all about will power... The thing is, is that he liquid comes with different levels of nicotine. Its like 1, .75, .5, .2 or something like that. I dunno the amount. But anyways, my buddy is still at 1. why? Because he says he doesnt want to stop yet. Aka, will power. You ahve to force yourself to buy less nicotine, or these things wont do much.

Yes you can get different flavours. apparently there are tons of them. Ive smelt a few of his (ive never tried a cigarette, so im not gonna try it) and they smell good. Apparently smoking it for the first time is really harsh. But you get use to it fast.

As for smoking them indoors, I still dont agree with it. Im still not convinced its just water vapor going into the air. If it was just water, your body would absorb it...