Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gary The Shrew! (Wip Unity project)

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
Trying to teach myself the ins and outs of Unity, so i thought, what better way then to make a game?
For now, im just going to be world building and setting up controllers and collisions etc, but hopefully i can get some bad guys and some pickups working later on.

Gary the shrew... not entirely sure what drugs im on, but this was the first idea that sprang to mind, an adventurous shrew...

Heres the unity game so far, im just using Unity stuff for terrain textures, grass and the big trees for now... added some standard issue glowing mushrooms too... still need to texture Gary but i was too eager to animate him and try my luck at setting up character controllers:

WASD movement, hold shift to run, space to jump :) (Unity prefabs yay)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14324914/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

Im aware of the shading issues on the shrooms, they are very WIP :p (2mins model, 1min texture)
shroom.jpg

So yea... thats all i have so far... it's not much but its a start :D

EDIT: **UPDATED GAME LINK: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14324914/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html **

Replies

• Gorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    His left arm really creeps me out. It is so long and it flops around at strange angles...

Well, good start, I hope you add some camera controls soon :D
    You should really push the "the game designer may possibly be on drugs" idea, sounds fun!

I had fun climbing out of the valley. And I really like all the lovely swaying grass.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The 3rd person controller prefab is butt. I don't like how the camera reacts. Not a knock on you at all...and I sure as hell wouldn't know how to modify it.

Pretty cool. Even though you are using the default terrain stuff for most of it...i just kinda dig cruising around at night through the tall grass.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha yea, i love the tall grass too :) it is all mainly prefabs atm, but mainly just to see what kinda style to go for, i intend to replace everything with my own things :)
    The 3rd person controller is a bit dodgy i think, either that or im doing it wrong! I have a friend who knows alot about Unity so i'll give him a Q&A session later, maybe he has some tricks.
    @Gorman, i jumped out of the valley too earlier :p haxxing up my own game... I think the trippy game idea would be cool... maybe some kind of forest like in avatar, but from the perspective of a Shrew :D I think his arm will be less annoying when its not flat white :p but we'll see
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    agreed with gsokol, that camera lets me see the floor 2 feet in front of me. makes the world seem small. if the camera was pointed more upwards, the world would seem bigger, more mysterious, and I'd be able to see where the hell I'm going :D
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im trying to figure out a way for it to be low angled but not get completed blocked by the long grass, i too would like it to point upward, so you can see how big the trees are :), working on camera movements atm, so maybe ill sort it out
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated first post with new game version.

changes:
    New shrooms! Added the first real mushroom model, going to do 2 or 3 different types of mushrooms (all with different glows) Also added patches of smaller mushrooms, these are probably just placeholder meshes for now.

Added camera controls, mouse wheel scroll to zoom in/out and hold right click to orbit around the character (Play in fullscreen to avoid the REALLY annoying rightclick menu that keeps coming up)

Anddd thats about it, im guna start working on a lot more environment pieces next, suggestions are appreciated :p Also need to texture Gary at some point (having too much fun with mushrooms)

gamescreenie.jpg

Edit: changed camera movement speed and added a very temp texture for Gary.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got my hands on the Pro free trial, so i'm using and abusing those image filters! Everything seems to look 10 times better now. Added some random flowers here and there, not really too sure about them though. I want to make some kind of tunnels to go through made from hollowed out logs, and possibly some kind of network of paths in one of the big trees and some elbourate way to get up there. Maybe some shrew houses too :D

Changed the MOUSE cursor into a SHREW cursor! Why? Because i can...

As far as NPC's go, i want to have some creatures flying around, maybe some large glowing butterflies and fireflies would be cool for none agressive creatures. I don't know where to start when making an agressive NPC, so those will have to wait for now until i feel like doing some major researching :)

Link is updated again for the new, prettier version.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More udatesssss:
    **First post updated with new game link**
    Added a tunnel of hollow logs towards the back of the map, which will lead to....something...

more colour and lighting tweaks so you can see a little better

Mushroom glows light the area around them better

Terrain blending to hide my fuck ups

Terrain bump map to make things look a little more interesting

New grass! yay..

New ferns! yay..

I MADE SOMETHING WORK: "Fire flies" with extremely basic AI to move to a random position within X distance from it. Just a little movement added to the scene is kind nice though :)

Going to add some kind of pet for Gary to follow him around, not sure what thought yet ^.-

game%20screenie.jpg

- needs more glowy stuff -
  • Samuraigun7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samuraigun7 polycounter lvl 7
    It is looking good i am learning unity as well but failing haha
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The curser is a little annoying..might not be so bad if your build size was larger.

The shrew is looking pretty cool hehe. much nicer now that you have a texture on him.

Right clicking to move the camera is a pain in the ass. With the web build its giving me right click options...such as go full screen, and more about unity, bla bla. So everytime I right click that comes up and I tend to click something by accident. Try mapping it to left our middle mouse button. Also, try adding a mesh collider to your camera or something...it shouldn't be able to go through the ground or anything.

This reminds me of some book I used to have as a kid. There were a bunch of mice that lived in this cute little tree village type thing. I think it would be neat to walk along in the darkness for a while then come up to a hillside and see a little shrew village. Would be cool if it had little fires and gave off a warm, orange glow. Would add a nice focal point as well.

What are your intentions with this? I think it would be pretty cool to have to leave the village and search in the darkness (with glowy goodness of course) to find the children that all left the village and got lost. I was reading about shrews and saw that some of them can use echolocation...so that resonated with me.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Gsokol, cheers for your reply.
    I agree, the cursor is more a cheap gimic then anything useful, i guess i could disable the mouse all together until i have a GUI with things to click. I'm glad you like the shrew:)

Right clicking is nasty nasty nasty on the web player, ive been playing it in fullscreen so its not much of an issue, but that rightclick menu definately buggers up the smaller version, i'll move it over to MMB hold to orbit and MMB scroll to zoom, sounds logical.

I too had a book as a kid with mice etc living together, interesting... The village is exacty what im aiming for actually, so far you go through the night and through a tunnel made from logs, then i'm going to add a small wooden walkway over a pond/puddle which leads to some kind of small area with houses.
    It would be great to be able to code something where you can pickup a task to go and find certain things in the forest, i think i need to do a fair bit more learning to get to that though. Not spending too much time on the art for this, as its more of a Unity learning experience/ trying and often failing at C#.

Thanks for the ideas
  • Gorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Animate the sparkles under the mushrooms
    - Firefly randomly flew through the ground D: Perhaps have them move away from the player should they approach, it seems only natural :)
    - When you let go of right click in the browser it brings up the right click menu, which is really annoying. A few times it made me go to the unity webplayer page :/
    Please dont use MMB, most laptops don't have MMB so you are making things quite limited. Why not just have the mouse locked to camera?
    - Make camera turn when you turn the character too!

Looking really nice now, you have a lot of dark areas though, and a lot of plants to block the camera. It is very hard to get a good view of the character. Perhaps some issues to be aware of.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    how restrictive is the demo nowadays?
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Gorman for the feedback.
    Fireflys have very basic AI because i suck at coding :D i'll give them some colliders and maybe i can try to make them fly away from the player (nice idea).
    The current camera still sucks, im having trouble making it do what i want :P I could lock the camera to the mouse, however i want to have some kind of clickable GUI later on, which means you'd spin the camera around every time you moved the mouse to click. I'm still thinking as to what i should do with camera controls.
    Animating the sparkles should be easy enough, something i forgot to do i think...
    The dark areas i've managed to *kind of* fix, the massive trees were dropping shadows onto the scene making dark patches, however theres still a few areas which are quite dark.. might add some more mushrooms to brighten those up.

Frell, the free version of unity is pretty good if im honest, its got everything you need to make a game. I recently got the pro 30 trial, and i've gotta say the 2D filters are fantastic, as are the realtime shadows and water. If it werent for those features though, there isnt much difference between pro and indie versions.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If your worried about coding, and have 100 bucks to spare, check out PlayMaker. I've been using it...its a pretty nice, artist friendly way to make stuff happen without coding.