Homeโ€บ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Johnny Padowski

Replies

• yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    firstly work the proportions, then later think of texturing.

your nose has no nostrils; the mouth isnt wide enough. human face has proportion rules that must be respected. just as an example, your mouth is as wide as the distance between your iris, and your face is 5 eyes large. there are many other basic rules, that need to be followed.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    grab some reference, man....anatomy, topology..etc... I would start simple...do a low poly-model of something like this: loomis-planes.jpg
  • Cooljay
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mgoblue412 polycounter lvl 5
    Characters are not my forte but just looking at this it appears that your mouth and nose are to skinny, your forehead looks flat, cheeks look off but idk what it is that is off about it, ears look weird at the top and lastly do not have the ears be exactly that same change them up after you symmetrize them.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    at this point I would not even worry about nostrils. Worry about the nose in proportion to the face, and the face in proportion to the head..once the Large details are solid, then worry about details like nostrils

ears don't look like that at all..the wonderful news is you don't have to guess about cheeks or ears and things like that..there is a huge ocean of reference at your fingertips..use it

earreference.jpg
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    hey man, good start. I would suggest doing some more studies before doing anything with a back story like a mechanic. Basically, take this model and save it somewhere that you can find later. Then, model another head, followed by a torso and arms and legs. Then do it again. Then sculpt heads, arms hands etc. meanwhile, check this out

http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryCharacter

read it, absorb it. Also reference, pay attention to it.
    You have modeled and textured a head, you even screen grabbed it and showed triangle counts. That's good. But don't get bogged down in trying to to make this a character. In my humble opinion, you have too much to learn to worry about that. I promise, take a step back and do some studying, you'll be better for it.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! wrote: ยป
    hey man, good start. I would suggest doing some more studies before doing anything with a back story like a mechanic. Basically, take this model and save it somewhere that you can find later. Then, model another head, followed by a torso and arms and legs. Then do it again. Then sculpt heads, arms hands etc. meanwhile, check this out

http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryCharacter

read it, absorb it. Also reference, pay attention to it.
    You have modeled and textured a head, you even screen grabbed it and showed triangle counts. That's good. But don't get bogged down in trying to to make this a character. In my humble opinion, you have too much to learn to worry about that. I promise, take a step back and do some studying, you'll be better for it.

^this
  • Cooljay
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swing and a miss
  • Cooljay
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    Could I see some topology shots for the face?
  • Cooljay
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    put this bad boy in zbrush so you can work on the anatomy faster
  • Cooljay
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    octokitty polycounter lvl 14
    i would first start by turning the texture off and the smooth off. I know it seems like it looks better, but it makes it harder for us to tell exactly what's going on. Also, you want to see what the actual model looks like, not what the subdivided model would look like. You can turn on "smooth edges," just not "display smoothness."

so, I agree with everyone here. you are having anatomy issues in general. tutorials are going to be the most rational way for you to get help. We can give you tips here and there, and some of us will give you a complete breakdown on what you need to do. But most of us are seeing that there are numerous things wrong with your model so far. It's hard to pin point every thing... But if you have already gone through tutorials and feel you really learn best from people giving you tips, I'll try to give you the best I can:

1. eyes are too far apart and too round, they need more character. More definition and shape. find a picture of an eye and copy it. it will come out much better.
    2. eyebrows too far apart and top of nose is too wide. you have a lot of space between the eyebrows.
    3. the nose nostril area is all wrong. the outside of the nostrils need to be much more defined. in the videos @yodude87 posted above there is a nose tutorial. study that one and match your topology to it. i think the nose is big enough now, just needs lots of topology/anatomy work.
    4.area under nose is not very defined. its' a little messed up cause of the nose right now, it looks like the area is bulged out a bit and it shouldn't be. it should be a little concave.
    5. mouth is waaaaay too small. the ends of the mouth should go to the pupils of the eyes. dont fix that til you fix the eyes though. also you have a lot of loops going around the mouth. take some of those out and get the general shape of the mouth right, then put more loops only if you need them. also, look at a picture of someones lips and work on yours. as the eyes do, your lips need more character too.
    6. neck is too big. it looks like it is as wide as the head. look/feel at your own neck... it doesn't come straight down from the skull. it starts up under you jaw (your jaw is wider). the neck should also go straight down then come out towards the shoulders, yours is the other way around right now.
    7. head shape in general is off. i think you have the jaw as the widest part right now. but the widest part should be the area above and behind the ears. cheekbones should also be a tiny bit wider than the jaw.
    8. look into gettin those ears fixed... move them up so that the top of the ears are at eyebrow level (do the ears last, so after you move the face around). then go into detail with the ear forms.
    9. face is too low on the skull... or forehead is just way too big.

ok! so hopefully that all helps. you have a good start and this is an improvement over the other models of yours i've seen. good luck with your next update!
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate all this. Knowing what I'm doing wrong really helps for my own understanding.
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What you have going here is a good start, but it's missing some key features to make the face more believable. What i have done below is to outline on what part needs looking over and correcting. I would also say when modelling always have a good source of reference to look at and to compare with your model. Hope this helps

1nUy7.jpg
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay, sorry about the tut thing then :)

lets focus on crits then.

learn your anatomy. first the block in, then the details. have you ever tried face geometrization? your face is made up of many geometric primitives. your forehead as a block in is a rectangle, your eye sockets are hexagons, same goes for lips. your nose is a prisma. this serves you as a proportion guide for your bust.

WHEN you have this the way you want, you go fot the details.

as for this part, your work faults on the following points:

inferior lip is somewhat bigger than the upper one. mainly in females, a bit in males. yours are equal.

mouth shoyuld be wider.

as i said before, your orbitae are way too far from each other. put your bust in a front view, and measure it. you should have 5 eyes wide:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/kaine420/sports/faze.jpg

the nostrils end in the begiinning of your eyeballs, coinciding with the tear duct.same goes for the mouth, as wide as the distance between your two iris:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/kaine420/sports/img037k.jpg

ears are as tall as the distance between your nose base and half eyes.

those are the general proportions guides for your face.

as regards modelling itself:

forget texturing for the moment, focus on your model.

try to get a decent polyflow. edge loops are very important in a face. remember that. mainly when it comes to animation. so having your edge loops right placed in your eyes and mouth are as important as the modelling itself.

work those ears better.

try making separate works, studies, of face parts on zbrush. a ear, a nose, a mouth, head forms, skulls, face muscles, etc. so that you get the feel of how it all fit together and work.

remember after modelling, that face isnt made of the same material. eyes have a different consistence than skin. lips ditto. hair, the same. so, remember when it comes to creating your materials to take much care of your specular maps so that your char will have the right mats for each part.

as regards skin, SSS is very important. blender has it incorporated, and its very customizable (always if its blender. dont know about other 3d tools).

this is all i can think of now. keep it on, best of wishes :D
  • Cooljay
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    it might be better to start again with all the suggestions in mind
  • Cooljay
  • Stertman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would do as octokitty said and take that texture away. a nice way to get the right feel of what you are doing is to work with hard edges in lambert material. with smooth edges and a blurry texture its extremly hard to see what you are doing..
  • Cooljay
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would do as octokitty said and take that texture away. a nice way to get the right feel of what you are doing is to work with hard edges in lambert material. with smooth edges and a blurry texture its extremly hard to see what you are doing..

+1
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    post some sideview for us so that we can advice you on that too :)
  • Cooljay
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick question, how did you make this. Did you start of with a cube or did you do the box modelling method?
  • Cooljay
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I may say that it might be best if you were to start again, Here is a link to a 2 part video on modelling a character head. Although it is a female head being used the same method can be used for creating a male head. http://poly-face.com/Maya_Tutorial_Head_Modelling_1_of_2_part_1 I would also say that it may be best if you were to look at existing topology, that way you can compare you mesh flow and produce a nice smooth animation friendly topology. Here is a good site for topology reference http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_s-p_50MVQAw/SCTKuDjrhkI/AAAAAAAAAlI/W2APBVuVTk4/s1600-h/head_topology_001.jpg
  • mxb8924
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The time it would take to fix this........I think everyone would agree, you can save time by starting over.
    helprd.png
  • Cooljay
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    One of the problems here is that you have too many edge loops. You need to consolidate edge loops so that it will be easier for you to rough in the correct proportions, because there will be less verts for you to push around. You're moving points but not evenly and that is what is causing the lumpiness in the model.

Another thing to focus on is having your edges evenly spaced out and along smoother curves. So for now, I would remove edges, especially the ones that are very close to one another. Once it has been simplified, you can space your loops out more evenly and edit the proportions.

The reason I say this is because the more edges that a model has, the more you have effectively 'locked it in.' You don't want to be editing a ton of vertices and edge flows when you are still trying to get proportions nailed down. If you start with less and have a good foundation, it is much easier to add additional edge loops and build off of something solid.

As for the ear, I would delete it. It's going to be more trouble than it is worth for you to try to fix it right now. In fact I wouldn't even worry about the ear until you have the rest of it in a good place.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what other people said, cooljay. listen to them, its the best advice.

as regards anatomy, on the lower sideview theres one important thing you need to remember: theres an oblique imaginary line running thru the tip of the nose, the tip of the lips and the tip of the chin, in 99.9% of cases this line is inclinated inwards (unless the person youre modelling has some jaw malformation). in your case however, it is inclinated outwards, as if the lower part is bigger than the upper part. hope i made myself clear :)

anyway, the most important thing, aside from anatomy, etc etc etc, is TO GET EVENLY SPACED CURVES. this is one very important thing to have when you model. this way, your edge loops will come clean, and perfectly animatable.
    otherwise, youll have edges bumping, coliding, and many other problems when you animate your model. mainly when it comes to a human being. :)

edit: example:

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/Meph1t/Psylocke%20-%20Xmen/HeadUpdate53.jpg

notice the loops around the eyes, the tip of the nose and the mouth. the eyes and mouth ones should be the ones you give the most attention to, as they should be perfectly animatable.

no-smoothing:

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/Meph1t/Psylocke%20-%20Xmen/HeadUpdate52.jpg

remember human face is not simmetrical; but you can, at first do it simmetrical: model just one half, and mirror the other half. then later on, you can make those subtle changes to one side :)
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    i wonder if it wouldn't be more efficient to start studying anatomy with some sketches in Sculptris, instead of directly messing with topology.
  • Cooljay
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    +1 to what Noors said. at this stage getting the forms correct is more important than topology. Sculpting is more flexible for this sort of thing.
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    try opening the standard bust in zbrush, and making some modifications to it that you see fit. then post the results.

afterwards, when you get a good result, try modelling one yourself.

then, when youre comfortable enough with that, you can make your hi poly a low poly.

always if youre up to the "leave topology aside for the moment" approach.

if not, try following the advices given until now, and ask WHENEVER you dont know something. we're all learners here (modelling is something you never stop learning, at least from my own experience), and learning from each other is the best thing :)
  • Cooljay
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a question on if I would I able to get this kind of level detail for game characters with Zbrush. It's nice and subtle, no low poly evidence from normal mapping isn't present, lighting isn't overdone, and rich color maps.

the-godfather-2-ss-14.jpg

they are low poly tho. it isnt noticeable at first, but if you look carefully you see. notice the suit buttons, the red shirted man shoulders and ears... not to talk about the enviro, just look at that handrail :P

well, zbrush's main functions are:

modelling static hi polies for presentation or

modelling hi polies for normal/displacement map extraction (to apply it on a later modelled low poly)

go with it, its the best hi poly tool out there (at least for me; there are other options, such as sculptris, or mudbox... its more a matter of personal preference).

id say, start with zb, then later on hen you have the time try those other ones out, so that you just get the feeling of them. if you like them better, discard zb.

as regards lighting, it depends on the engine youre using for the game, not on your 3d tool.
  • Cooljay
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hold shift and brush for smooth.

and dont forget to work your levels up: never start from a higher level of subdivision, start low, and sculpt each level at a time.

be sure to try every brush, personalize them, literally play with it.

if you wanna work simmetrically, press "x" for simmetry. press it again to take it off.

keep on :D
  • Cooljay
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi I need some help on how to my edit model again when I re open or make new document ?
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    import the ztool, if you saved it as a ztool
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    indeed, if you save it as a document, as far as i know, you cant edit it later. you have to save it as a ztool.
  • Cooljay
  • Cooljay
  • drelectro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drelectro polycounter lvl 8
  • Cooljay