Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio - Jon Stewart]

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
sheckee polycounter lvl 9
Hey there, I'm Jon, I've been lurking here for quite some time now, though I've not really posted work on here before, so I'm a bit nervous about posting my Portfolio. I'm open to all critiques and feedback and would be very grateful for them.
I decided to put this together via Blogspot so that It would generally be easier for me to update it on the fly, and because I'm not very clued up on website production; of course I could learn the basics pretty quickly but I'd rather spend that time making some Art.
So what's more to say other than thank you for your time it's very much appreciated and I hope to become a more active member of this community in the future.
One last point, the work in here is high res work, I am looking to progress into video game modelling and normal baking with my next piece of work. So I guess I better open a thread for that in the coming days!
Thanks.

The Portfolio -- Jon Stewart CG

Replies

• Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    first a comedy news show, then 3D art... so unpredictable
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    Your textures and the way they are rendered look very flat. This is the case for all of these pieces, but is especially noticeable on your characters skin tones. Your facial proportions are not bad, but could be improved using lots of reference images.

It might not necessarily be what you're going for, but I would make Medusa's face more idealistic to make the image more striking. She's fairly plain looking at the moment, emphasized by her gray, flat skin tone. Her costume seems very unrealistic and heavy - the dress looks like it would immobilize her and it doesn't look like her neck could support all of those metal needle snake things. Are those big pipes in the second image supposed to be attached? Steampunk is an alternate style of science fiction. It usually doesn't involve magic curses etc. The diagonal lines across the bricks look a bit weird.
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Your medusa reminds me of Gothitelle :) : http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gothitelle_(Pok%C3%A9mon)

Regarding your portfolio I think you really need to catch up with the current tech. Don't take any offense, although we can see you can model, animate and everything else your movies look a bit dated. Get some better lighting in there, ambient occlusion, etc... and it should improve a lot.

I give you the same advice for the medusa model. Polish it a bit and render it in real-time using the Marmoset Toolbag or UDK.
  • sheckee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sheckee polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the critique guys, appreciate it. Some very valid points, and also some things I had overlooked!
    I'm currently working on a character in order to learn the new tech, once I have that under my belt I will revisit the Medusa at least and see about improving her.

Kitteh - :( I hate that guy!

jmt - The face is very dull, I fully agree. I originally had an expression on it, but It didn't work so well and time was running short before the deadline; so It fell by the way side. It's definitely something I should look at fixing, though the head model should be looked at entirely, it's very flat. The pipes in the second aren't attached, they were fancy dressing for the turntable plate.
    The diagonal lines are meant to be the grating of which the light is behind.

Minotaur - I stopped following Pok
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    There's too much section on your portfolio.
    You should keep the work & contact section (maybe traditional too).
    Your "techical" section should be integrated with your work section, since they are show how you made it (so show your render, then wireframe in the bottom of the render, then the texture sheets).
    For your presentation, you can use a global illumination with ambient occlusion, this will make your presentation a lot more interesting and less CG-looking.
    Also, people don't like to see wip, so when you'll finish them, you can post them, not now.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    You need more contrast between your colors, therefore everything is looking flat. Better lighting would help too.
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    octokitty polycounter lvl 14
    Maybe it's just me, but this confused me...

"I designed and produced Claire for Kiiro Blade. She weighed in at 18,000 Polygons and 3x 2048 Maps (Diffuse, Specular and Bump)"

Usually people put how many tris they used rather than polygons (a polygon is a shape with any # of sides). Also, something about saying "3x 2048 maps" doesn't seem right. At first I thought you used 3x 2048 diffuse maps, which is crazy! Maybe if you said something like "2048 diffuse, specular and bump" instead it would read better. You actually did that in the technical section of your site. I think it works better.