Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(WIP) It's kinda round... and blue... (Crits PLEASE!)

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
...other than that, I couldn't for the life of me tell you what exactly it is, but here it is. :\

Polycount is 4,605 with a 2048 that could be cut down to 1024 without any huge issues.

Original concept (more of a quick sketch for me to get the basic thoughts down):

barrelthing.jpg

High poly (all done in Max):

clayrender1.jpg

Two shots from the UDK model viewer, I'm going to set this up with a basic light rig but I'm not the worlds best lighting artist and it's bound to suck...

udkmodelviewer1.jpg
udkmodelviewer2.jpg

Diffuse:

textureflat.jpg

Any crits, PLEASE throw them in. WIP threads are always better when the artist is crying. :poly121:

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great! 2048 is overkill imo, maybe mirroring to pack it in better.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, I left lots of buffer in the UVs so I could scale down to 1024. The ends, legs, crossbeam, and the yellow band around the middle are mirrored, I'll try to figure out how I can stack some more parts.
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm lots to do

- do you use a specular map? If so, painted areas should reflect less light than those where it was peeled off.
    - colors seem really off (rust!), check some color theory stuff, color wheels and color harmony construction. Also seek good references and observe how tones cooperate in existing stuff.
    - written marks - do they serve any purpose? Random placement, seem irrelevant.
    I'll think of some more hints later, busy right now.

Also, this little tuto.

And wires plox :)
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mgoblue412 polycounter lvl 5
    The only thing that I noticed is that "new" colors like the yellow and green patches of paint do not seem to be really weathered at all. I am not sure if they are supposed to be like brand new spots but they stuck out to me.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heerza da wires.

There is indeed a spec on there. I always have trouble getting spec to behave in UDK... "b-b-but, it looked GREAT in Max!" :\

Yup, paint patches were supposed to be significantly newer, wanted to make it look like somebody's been coming by now and then and at least trying to maintain it.