Home Technical Talk

Does this uv/texture software idea exist?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
I've always had this idea in my head of what 3d software should be able to with texturing. Basically, you could take a mesh that is already UV'd and textured, and then manipulate the uvs and the texture would distort along with it. You could then export the modified texture. This way, you could texture individual objects at any resolution and uv configuration, then combine multiple meshes into an organized collage after the fact.

Is there any way to do this currently?

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    You are almost describing texturing with one UV set then baking to another. Most (all?) 3d packages can do this.

Or am I missing the main point of what you are describing?
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    In realtime, no, it'd ruin any rasterized images. But you can bake from one uv set to another.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Hmm. Baking to another uv set would probably do what I'm describing, just not on-the-fly. It would just be great to make uv changes easily, even if you're in the middle of texturing.
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    You can't do that on the fly, specially that every frame you would be brushing the filtering will be more and more blurred since it's trying to rebake to match uv's again. It wouldn't make sense, specially that softwares that paint on the mesh like 3d-coat, bodypaint, zbrush etc are already enough heavy.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Moar loops = solve problem...
  • Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    In a similar vein, anyone know a way to batch a UV set bake swap of a whole PSD file, layer by layer? Would be great to have a tool like this sometimes, so you end up with a PSD that you can still work with using the new UVs.
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Bal wrote: »
    In a similar vein, anyone know a way to batch a UV set bake swap of a whole PSD file, layer by layer? Would be great to have a tool like this sometimes, so you end up with a PSD that you can still work with using the new UVs.

I would suck a dick for this, if there are any lonely tech artists out there who know enough python to do this with PSD and Max.

Seriously, this would be amazing.
  • EarthQuake
    Just to burst the "rebaking is awesome!" bubble a little, guys, remember you're going to need to rebake your normal maps if you're messing about with your uvs. Probably better to just make good UVs in the first place. =)

Unless you're talking just diffuse and spec and whatnot, but even then, I think fixing your seams in mudbox or whatever 3d painting app would be faster and more productive.